Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

As you can see I have replaced the rear panel (including a large chuck of the boot (trunk) floor) and the sills (rocker panels). I have also replaced the chassis rails and bottom of the door pillars and the floor panels.

Around the rear window frame has also had work. To complete the shell I have to sort out the front window frame and front guards and a little bit of the front valence ... and then we are ready for the paint ... unless I decide to restore the original doors as well (have not 100% decided yet. The doors on her at the moment came from the USA, but while identical looking on the outside have some differences to the door frame ... thus not 100% correct :)).

Anyway, you will be able to see the chassis frame I made in the photo ... but you cannot see the big dent in the brand new rear panel that the shipping container unloaders put in her!!! :(, oh well this can be fixed, I guess.

Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oops I forgot to mention that the rear wheel arches have been replaced, with much work to the inner guards too ...

Will be a nice and rust free shell once 100% completed.

Pete

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No comments ... :confused: :( :eek: :confused: :( :( , oh well guess it does not look that exciting at the moment.

And you have all seen many Alfas during a restoration.

Sigh ...
Pete

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Before and After shot's get more replies.

I love to see before and after shots.

Save those pictures, and everytimes to gain another step, post a before and after, so we can say our oooo's and ohhhh's.

:)

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
PSk said:
you will be able to see the chassis frame I made in the photo
I was wondering what happened to that bed frame that I threw out last week! :D

Seriously Pete, it sounds like you're having a lot of quality work done to the body of your 1750. I'm sure she'll be a righteous ride once you get her pieced back together! Like Sniady said, more pictures please.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Before and after pictures

Okay, quite rightly you guys asked for before and after pictures so you can see what I have described and also how bad she was. Thus I have managed to get some old photos scanned.

BTW I intend to paint her the Yello Ochre (original colour).

This is the driver side sill (rocker) BEFORE:

Attachments

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Man that looks really good! Do you weld those yourself (mig, tig, torch)? Were the filler pieces bought, from a donor, or fabed. Sorry for all the questions but Ive always wanted to do a ground up track car.

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
I was offered a GTV for FREE that had similar rust and all of the main suspension. The only other negative thing about it was that it was missing the nose which was donated to another car. I got spooked and passed on it but looking at your project it helps to see those diamonds in the ruff.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Repairs and welds

Smestas,

All the work and welding is mine. I started the repairs using gas welding and then I bought a MIG (wonderfull machines :) ).

All panels have been made by me EXCEPT the rear panel (not shown as it just looks like the rear of a 1750 GTV :) ) and the floor panels. The floor panels I got out of another car and still had to do many repairs to make them perfect.

When I had the car sand blasted they all laughed at me and thought I was insane ... not sure about that, they maybe right :), but the really hard work is completed now just the pretty stuff now ...

Pete

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Alright, I'll say it: "oooh, aaah."

I've got some welding I need to have done, and wish I had the time and space to set up a welder myself and learn to do it. I'd like to teach my kids such skills, too. Such examples as yours are an inspiration. My dad used to weld (oxy-acet., typically) and I've used a cutting torch. But I've never actually joined two thin pieces together intending them to remain that way, and that's important for a car (8^).

I was really impressed with a Swedish site showing a rebuild of a rusty Volvo 1800E
http://www.owain.net/1800.shtml
I kept the URL for future reference, because the aforementioned welding is needed on (ta-da) an 1800S, almost the same car as Owain's.

Michael

1 - 20 of 91 Posts