Alfa Romeo Forums banner

My 164 "S" Restoration

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  ChazzyD 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I was going to wait until I was finished, but I thought I'd post my progress from beginning to where I am currently at. A couple months ago, a valve dropped into one of my cylinders which made a gaping hole in the piston. The chunks blew up along with coolant into the intake and distributed throughout the other cylinders.

Pictures will follow in additional posts shortly...

#8 ·
Looks like we both have the same problem, except I have a hole next to the exhaust valve of cylinder number 2. Engine just came out yesterday and have another S motor goin in soon!. Good Luck with your project Sean and I hope everything goes well.

#13 ·
Peek into the Tranny housing

I'm assuming this is the updated roller bearing, right? If so, should I bother replacing it?

Outlined in the green is a piece of rubber that came off when I took the cover off. Is this a seal on the outside of the bearing? If so, is it easily replaceable? This looks like a contributing factor to why my tranny was leaking...

#15 · (Edited)
Wow, lots of work going on there! Buy a new input shaft sleeve with the O-ring around the edge and use some RTV sealer along with it to seal it up good. The little black piece looks like it is just some old RTV. If your tranny was working good, I'd leave it alone besides a new sleeve and axle seals. About the front struts, it doesn't look like you attached the rubber boots to the bottom lip of the upper strut mount, maybe you have them upside down? I can't tell from the pics but they should be sealed from the elements at the top and open at the bottom, they don't leave any openings when you set the car down. You shouldn't be able to see the bump stops at all on the front with them back in the car. Keep up the hard work! It will be worth it with all that you have done. :D
Charles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.