Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
decided instead to make a thread documenting my 164 Repaint journey. I’ve talked about it last year then COVID happened, so all my savings went to Bills and life expenses. But now that I’m back on track and have a place to paint it.

I started yesterday on getting my hands dirty and getting a lot of poop cleaned up “was a horse barn”

today required removing the horse Mats from the ground and cleaning what was left and preparing for power washing. Now i have cleaned the floors, walls will not come clean ive tried to clean them. I will have to lay plastic over the walls anyway.

Next week will require getting a Propane heater and hanging up 4 of my led shop lights and helping my uncle get his painting equipment into the barn.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
looks interesting. Keep us posted, please.
Will keep posting here as things progress, it may seem a little slow with updates but with working 60 hour weeks i only have time on weekends. Yesterday i bought the remaining Items i needed for this project and picked up a Propane tank. Today ill be packing the wifes car with the rest of my stuff and taking my 164 to its Finale destination where it will get painted. I am hoping to get the Barn setup today and ready where i can pull 164 into Barn and at least start the process of removing everything Sunday.

I have a few other things i want to tackle once i have painted the 164, this includes buying new Coilovers, Replacing Exhaust from the Headers to the Muffler, i will not be replacing the ANSA Muffler that is on it currently and reupholstering Driver and passenger seats. and replacing cracked windshield, i have my replacement sitting here at my house.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update #2
Packed everything into the wife’s car and she followed me to my moms. Finished sweeping the floor as there was more dirt left over from when I power washed the floors. Got to work on unpacking everything and testing all the lights then Started with hanging up plastic. I haven’t done the roof just yet as I still need to hang up the lights and my uncle needs them hung up a certain way, so I will have to wait.

for the most part it looks like everything is done except for a few odds and ends.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update #3

installed all shop lights I’ve bought. It’s nice and bright now.
Tomorrow I should be able to pull my 164 in and start dissembling all parts that I can.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update #4

have pulled the 164 indoors, was a tight squeeze but managed to fit.
while inside I took a few photos. These will be some before photos so I can do a before/after.
She looks a bit rough in a few spots, with the top half and tops of bumpers being the worst.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Have removed the front Bumper along with grill. Have to cut the night short since we had dinner plans and wife works in the morning.
After looking at front bumper there is a crack on driver side corner under headlight and the lower half near fog light is split about 80% of the way. I may need a new front bumper. The passenger side fog light bracket has also broken near the center so outer side of bracket holding fog light in.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're doing well. Looking forward to the end result.
thank you! There are a few items I’m worried about taking off like the lower side skirts and possibly removing door handles. In search of a S Kit that I would like to have and painted along with the car instead of painting L Bumpers. I’m slowly taking my time and not rushing through this. I’ve already ordered a few NOS items I plan to put on once done.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
So cool to see you putting this work into my ex-164. I wanted to do what you are doing, just didn't have the time or energy to do it. I am looking forward to seeing the end result as well!

I would not take off anything that might be breakable unless you research that you can replace it and at what cost. Just a word of caution there. Many things are unobtainium new, but maybe less hard to find used.
Do you plan on a color change?
Charles

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So cool to see you putting this work into my ex-164. I wanted to do what you are doing, just didn't have the time or energy to do it. I am looking forward to seeing the end result as well!

I would not take off anything that might be breakable unless you research that you can replace it and at what cost. Just a word of caution there. Many things are unobtainium new, but maybe less hard to find used.
Do you plan on a color change?
Charles
I plan on keeping it white, I am considering an S Kit while I have all the bumpers off. I understand that many parts are harder to find than other and I am taking my time with removing everything at the moment. I’ve unfortunately broken 3 of the retaining clips that hold the grill on and the fender cladding, while being extra careful broken top fastener but bottom 2 came out fine. The top one for what ever reason was not wanting to come out.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
I am wondering how hard it is to get the side cladding off the doors? I plan on repainting all the bumpers and side cladding/rails on the Q, but I really didn't want to do it on the car. I can get more attention to detail off the car.
How many fasteners to get the front and rear bumpers off?
Good effort in getting that barn cleaned up and let's hope it holds the heat well enough while you spray the car.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
This is a big project. Please take proper precautions to protect yourself, like a quality respirator. Also, no ignition sources while you are spraying paint. Hopefully by the time you are ready to apply paint, the weather will be nice outside. Remember, any imperfections will be magnified by the new paint -so get it smooth and straight before you start painting.

My '66 Duetto was a 'driveway paint job' back in 1984. It still looks very presentable.

Good luck,

Mark

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is a big project. Please take proper precautions to protect yourself, like a quality respirator. Also, no ignition sources while you are spraying paint. Hopefully by the time you are ready to apply paint, the weather will be nice outside. Remember, any imperfections will be magnified by the new paint -so get it smooth and straight before you start painting.

My '66 Duetto was a 'driveway paint job' back in 1984. It still looks very presentable.

Good luck,

Mark
I’m aware of what is needed for painting, my uncle is the one who is painting my car and has all the equipment for it. Right now we plan on removing what we can and and then start sanding and prepping the car for paint, this can be done in a cooler room. He wants to wait for a slightly warmer day around 50F because the clear coat he wants to use dries slower but gives off more of a shine and when properly buffed and wax the car would appear to have a glass like finish. He just needs that 1 warmer day to paint.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am wondering how hard it is to get the side cladding off the doors? I plan on repainting all the bumpers and side cladding/rails on the Q, but I really didn't want to do it on the car. I can get more attention to detail off the car.
How many fasteners to get the front and rear bumpers off?
Good effort in getting that barn cleaned up and let's hope it holds the heat well enough while you spray the car.
With yours being a Q your front and rear bumpers might be a little different from my L model. I do know on mine There is a Bolt under each headlight Then a few bolts underneath grill area. There are two bolts recessed into the lower grill then there are a series of bolts underneath bumper where lower skirt is and a bolt on each side that are inside near fender well.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Had some time to mess with the 164, only got to work on it a bit as the temperature outside reached 0F and my little heater wasn’t doing much to keep that barn warm, my hands and feet couldn’t take it anymore. I got passenger side done and got some of the driver side done, fender cladding came off but plastic tabs fought me every step and the plastic key square fasteners also fought me on all 4 doors. I have replacement push to lock tabs for all 4 doors. Driver door cladding isn’t coming off as easy as the passenger side did, going to hold off for a bit on it. Still need to tackle rear bumper and side skirts. I can only imagine non of these have ever been taken off before. We are expected to get an arctic blast throughout this week and weekend reaching into and below -30F so possibly not working on it for a few days.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So giving another update. It’s a nice 60F and I was able to tackle a lot more this time without freezing. Got all side cladding off. All that’s currently left to remove would be the lower side skirts, side mirrors, and the rear trunk scrips and lock and rear bumpers. It looks like the rear bumper is gonna be more of a pain to get off than the front bumper. Looks like I’ll need to find the license plate holder rubber inserts as they have shown their age and are really worn out and split.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You’ll probably want to buy new plastic clips that retain the roof moulding. They are kinda one time use. You can inspect each one for tooth quality. Careful removing the round pegs that hold the tail end of that moulding into the rear door jamb. You’ll probably need half of them replaced.

The lower window trim on front doors has a single screw retaining it. Remove from door jamb side, lift tail end of of trim about 1/8” and slide trim backwards. The rest of the window trim is straightforward. Be very gently reinstalling the screw or the plastic trim will split.

I removed the old B Pilar trim black adhesive. Heat gun and plastic blades, goo gone. No metal blades. you don’t want to damage the underlying painted surface or you will spend hours filling with primer, sanding, fairing (ask me how I know from having the wrong shop attempt that job). I brought to a proper vinyl wrap shop and for $100 they put on new vinyl. 3M satin.

finding S trim in reasonable condition (requires new door cladding too) is going to be hard and not worth it IMO. Put the extra effort into doing the paint job right! it is a beautiful car. Modern plastic trim restorers are pretty magical and should make the skirts you have look great.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think the rear lower window trims slide forward. They may be kinda captive by the plastic caps that are captive in the trim piece but can be removed. If you pry upwards gently on the rear of the trim piece you may be able to the slide it forward.

I removed the rear triangular window and had the window guide post (sorry, there has to be a better term) blasted and powdercoated. If there’s surface oxidation painting & priming / fairing may be a better bet.

Would be interesting to consider painting the window trims black like the 24V cars (chrome delete). Not sure how well that would hold up?

there is rubber moulding that covers the gap between front and rear doors. It is held in place by a plastic retainer strip. If you try to remove it it will most likely shatter into many pieces. I bought the last ones difatta had a couple of years ago. If you can just mask the trim piece without removing I would probably just do that.

I have been through this process three times now and I know Midwest winters.

Hang in there.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think the rear lower window trims slide forward. They may be kinda captive by the plastic caps that are captive in the trim piece but can be removed. If you pry upwards gently on the rear of the trim piece you may be able to the slide it forward.

I removed the rear triangular window and had the window guide post (sorry, there has to be a better term) blasted and powdercoated. If there’s surface oxidation painting & priming / fairing may be a better bet.

Would be interesting to consider painting the window trims black like the 24V cars (chrome delete). Not sure how well that would hold up?

there is rubber moulding that covers the gap between front and rear doors. It is held in place by a plastic retainer strip. If you try to remove it it will most likely shatter into many pieces. I bought the last ones difatta had a couple of years ago. If you can just mask the trim piece without removing I would probably just do that.

I have been through this process three times now and I know Midwest winters.

Hang in there.
thank you for all the info you have provided! I plan to leave a few things on the car. I might take a look at the lower window trim. I already have a new front S Bumper I just need side skirts and rear bumper.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts