Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got the MI16 that Lenard had, and man is it sweet! Not as fast as the 164 but way more responsive and better handling. Both cars are comfortable for long hauls and are nice and quiet. If the Pug had the power of the 164 it would be top dog in my stable. My dad and I did the Maguires clay bar treatment on the Pug and it really got a lot of the contamination (ie little black specles) out of it. After the clay bar I used there cleaner/carnuba wax which gave it a really nice shine. So far the only things I have found wrong with the Pug is a slight coolant leak when cold coming from the lower radiator hose, and speaking of that hose, it is worn through a good part of the way because the old tires would rub on it on full left lock. Getting a new hose tomorrow and putting a thing metal sleeve over it incase it rubs again. Tires are 16" Borbet with fresh 205/50 Goodyear eagles, since going with the lower profile the rubbing issues have been fixed. Great cars, both of them, I have trouble deciding which one I want to drive to work in the morning, great dilemma to have.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Excellent pair of cars!

I am right there with you....just added a red 164 S to my red Pug! I don't have a joint picture yet though...

I've been a loyal Mi16 driver for about 7 years now....always wanted one after driving them new back in 1989. I started with an '89 Mi16 in Boston that still lives there when I go back for work once a month. Bought it for nothing and slowly restored it over a several year period. It has 91K and just had a full gasket job (including head gasket, valve stem seals and guides). It sadly is an east coast car, and I'm doing everything I can to prevent rust.

I now live in LA, but missed my Pug so much that I bought an even nicer '91 Mi16 (although with automatic seat belts) in excellent interior and exterior condition, and have since restored it to new as well (mostly suspension work, throttle position switch, sunroof cables, refurbished rims, upgraded stereo with XM).

While not quite as fast as the 164, I find the Mi16 to have an amazing balance of steering feel, handling, and an engine that comes on cam so nicely around 4000rpm. You can drive the snot out of it and it asks for more. The build quality of the interior is the only thing that constantly needs attention. My '89 is a rattle trap (it was one of the first ones shipped to the US) compared to my '91 which much tighter. The engine is a bit buzzy at highways speeds, but 76-78mph seems to put the engine at a quieter note...or just use the stereo! ;)

I absolutely love driving the Mi16...and will keep them forever! If you need mechanical support, Cerrones European in Redwood City, CA and Western Hemispheres in Watsonville, CA (online web site for parts too) can get you what you need. Watch the timing belt...just like the 164. My car, before I bought it at 136K suffered a slip at 114k and got a full engine overhaul in 2003. I consider myself lucky with that one!

[email protected] is a great list as well...as is forum.405Mi16.com from the UK.

I highly recommend sourcing a set of e-code glass headlights for it....both of my cars have been converted to them, with H1/H4 bulbs..such a dramatic difference. The US Spec lights are junk!

Enjoy! :D

Paul H.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
So, does it take an Italian to make a French car look good?

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips, I have already dealt with Western Hemispheres, they are good people! A bit more work and I will feel confident to take it anywhere, just got back from the grocery store, the little pug got the nod for this trip, I am just lucky to own the thing!

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Yes that is a nice car you have there Jon and Paul your car is nice as well. I had the white MI16 shown here and it is a great car. My first MI16 was red with gray leather and it was real clean and mint when I sold it. I do like the ride and the handling is great but had too many toys with the 164 Q4 the Mazda 323 GTX all wheel drive and the boat something had to go. I know it went to a good home. I still can drive it and ride in it!:)

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That color is maroon, very similar to the color alfa used in the 94-95 164 cars. Its a wonderful car, I am in love again, not that the 164 is all that bad either. But the 164 does need a nice tan interior, the one it has now is not the best. Know anyone with a good saddle interior for sale?

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Nice pics of all the cars. I like the look of the Pug. Not surprising, as I think it is a Pininfarina design and is similar to the 164.
I recall getting those Peugeots as loaners when my 164 was in for warranty work. While it was nice looking and handled well, the engine was rough and raspy. Was it because perhaps it was a base model? Are there more refined engines in other versions?

·
Registered
52 Posts
The 405 used two engines, an 8 valve 110hp 1.9 liter in the 405 DL and S, and the 16 valve 150hp 1.9 liter in the Mi16. I haven't spent a lot of time in the 8 valve engine cars, but in terms of engine noise, the engine does have a nice, raspy note to it. The car isn't as well insulated against noise as it should have been. The '91s were a bit better than the '89s and '90s, as I think they used thicker carpeting and more insulation. The lack of insulation probably helped keep the car's weight down to 2715 lbs...I can't think of a car these days that weighs that little...maybe a Mini, Lotus Elise, or a Miata?think of a car these days that weighs that little...

I don't think it's unrefined...I personally think it has a great sound to it...almost rally car like at times. It does get a bit boomy at highway speeds, as the Mi16 is geared at 20 mph per 1000rpm...but once you get around 70mph, the noise tends to subside as it seems to be spinnng enough to help eliminate the boom.

Cheers,
Paul H.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would say the 16V cars must be more refined. My motor is pretty smooth and is not too noisy, its not 164 quiet but not say VW rabbit loud either. I long for a little more power as the chasis is crying out for it, but overall its a great ride and I am sure any alfa enthusiast would like to have one.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
May I add that the little Peugeot is making a bid to steal my heart away from my 164? Help me guys be for I fall too deep!

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you need more power, there is always the 405 T16 engine from Europe...that adds a turbo to the engine and brings it to either 200 or 220hp....although it was AWD in Europe back in '93 and '94.

Just to tempt you! :D

I don't think you'll fall out of love with your 164...the Mi16 and 164 may have similar styling in areas, but the car's dynamics are different. The Mi16 is a bit more "boy racer" and the 164 more "mature."

I enjoy driving both cars for different reasons....although the one reason I love them both is that no one else drives 'em anymore!!

Cheers,
Paul

·
Premium Member
27,320 Posts
Don't do this to me! If the one near me was white instead of red I would be in trouble. White looks so nice on both the Pug and 164 doesn't it. I still wonder if I could stuff a 164 engine and tranny in one? I drive by the red one almost daily. It is so mini 164 looking.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Steve, if I ever sell it you will be the first to know! I know you will give it a good home,
Jon

1 - 17 of 17 Posts