Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 86, I can hear that the guts of the muffler have come loose. I assume that the muffler is not very old as it looks much newer than the rest of the exaust system. It's clean and newish looking so I assume the PO replaced it shortly before selling it to me. Is there an underlying problem here that would cause the muffler to fail so soon or is it more lilkely that it is just a crap muffler? I'm going to replace it but would like to know so I don't just damage the the replacement.
Thanks for all opinions.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Hey John,

I have seen them fail because they collection moisture, especially if the car sits outside...

I have both a VERY good condition stock muffler, it only had 6000 miles on it and a Ansa twin tip muffler if you are interested.

Ed

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
This last weekend I removed my rear muffler. It looked good on the outside but the inside was rusted out and plugged with honeycomb from the cat. It's possible that the cat fell apart and is rattling in the muffler. The muffler comes off easy. Before condeming the muffler, take it off and see what falls out. If you find a surprise I would look at the rear muffler also.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Geezer....that brings up another question I have. My car only has one muffler. I have the exaust manifold which connects to the down pipe/cat converter which connects to the muffler which connects to the tail pipe. Where is the second muffler suppose to be?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hey Geezer....that brings up another question I have. My car only has one muffler. I have the exaust manifold which connects to the down pipe/cat converter which connects to the muffler which connects to the tail pipe. Where is the second muffler suppose to be?

The rear muffler is in the tail pipe located between the gas tank and the spare tire well. Sounds like someone replaced the rear muffler with "stinger" or straight pipe. That's what I did to mine when I found out that it was shot. BTW does your state require the cat converter to be intact on an '86?

If your muffler is shot I suppose that a muffler shop could replace it for you. If you do don't let them get rid of the 3 bolt flanges. Those flanges make removing the muffler a breeze should you need to in the future.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunatly I live in California where they require everything. My muffler is located just in front of the rear axle then an Ansa tail pipe is connected to it and continues to the rear of the car. Can I assume the Ansa took the place of the second muffler?
BTW Geeser...off the topic, great idea you had of adapting the aircraft intercom. I quit flying a few years ago and have a portable intercom left over here somewhere. I may just wire it up. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Unfortunatly I live in California where they require everything. My muffler is located just in front of the rear axle then an Ansa tail pipe is connected to it and continues to the rear of the car. Can I assume the Ansa took the place of the second muffler?
BTW Geeser...off the topic, great idea you had of adapting the aircraft intercom. I quit flying a few years ago and have a portable intercom left over here somewhere. I may just wire it up. Thanks for the idea.
Yep the Ansa pipe replaced the second muffler.

The intercom has been a God send. I had a Pilot Avionics headset that I modified to single sided for me and the wife was using a Peltor 7004. But later on I switched to a Plantronics MS50/T30-2 "in the ear" lightweight headset that I found on eBay. The wife now uses a Telex Airman 750 that I also found on eBay. I ended up putting a mike muff on both headsets to stop the wind noise in the mics.

FWIW Before I built in the intercom I just used Velcroe to stick the intercom to the console. That worked fine but I didn't like the wires lying around.

If you find that you must replace the cat, I found this on eBay;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=170126842813&rd=1,1

Here in Mississippi we can ravage the environment all we want so I'm looking into a peformance change to the ex manifold when I have to replace the front pipe.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Hey Geezer,

I have a brand new Stebro downpipe that came with my setup that I can't use. It has a small resonator where the cat should be. The pipe doesn't have a o2 bung, but its stainless steel and is nice...

Ed

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hey Geezer,

I have a brand new Stebro downpipe that came with my setup that I can't use. It has a small resonator where the cat should be. The pipe doesn't have a o2 bung, but its stainless steel and is nice...

Ed
ED,

PM sent

Charlie D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts