Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BB,

Granted this is not a fair comparison, but I wanted to compare the two. I just got the MSD setup and wanted to test it. It is a MSD 6AL-2 using a MSD Blaster SS coil. The Marelli Plex is using the Marelli coil and the original module.

Both are being triggered by a Marelli distributor. The spark tester is something I purchased from Mac Tools a while back.

Enjoy,

Alex

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
For an ignition that basically just an electronic switch, the Marelli Plex isn't bad at all. That's actually a pretty healthy spark, probably good enough to fire a fouled plug. I have a Marelli Plex installed in my Super at the moment.
I've added an Accell/GM trigger which gives a bit stronger spark. It's made a significant improvment over the stock points.

If you buy the MSD "GM wiring harness" the MSD6 becomes plug-in compatable with the Marelli Plex. Basically, the wiring harness bypasses the trigger and connects drectly to the magnetic sensor in the distributor. I ran this combination for years in another car and the difference betweeen the Marelli Plex and Marelli Plex/MSD was pretty dramatic.

BB,

Granted this is not a fair comparison, but I wanted to compare the two. I just got the MSD setup and wanted to test it. It is a MSD 6AL-2 using a MSD Blaster SS coil. The Marelli Plex is using the Marelli coil and the original module.

Both are being triggered by a Marelli distributor. The spark tester is something I purchased from Mac Tools a while back.

Enjoy,

Alex

MSD 6AL-2 w/ Blaster Coil Bench Testing - YouTube

Marelli Plex w/ Marelli Coil Bench Testing - YouTube

MSD 6AL-2 vs Marelli Plex in slow motion - YouTube

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am certainly not knocking the Marelli Plex it has worked great for years, I just wanted to compare the new vs old technology.

My primary reason for buying the MSD was the built in rev limiter, this one actually has two that you can select between. It is being built for autocross and I seem to go deep into redline in second gear all the time. FYI the MSD 6AL-2 comes with a pig tail connector that plugs into the Marelli distributor harness.

Now I have to figure out where to mount it. I'm thinking inside the car next to the passengers right foot.

Alex

1 - 3 of 3 Posts