Alfa Romeo Forums banner

101 - 120 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
LA downtown, and west side cities out to Santa Monica are still in a giant bowl, surrounded by 4,000 to 6,000 foot mountains, so they suffer from temperature inversions on some of the warmer days. With the largest ports and rail centers, we get as lot of idling diesels (ships and RR engines almost never shut down). And I do not get why the city buses all use diesel instead of natural gas. All we need is an onshore breeze and the crud piles up....

I don't get the dams. We fret for several years that they're low and we're running out of water. One big rain storm, and we're filling and fretting about dam safety....

The only one I really worry about is the levees around the Sacramento Delta. Used to be low grade farm land; now filled with housing, and all below normal water level. Very old earth dikes with no ability to withstand even a minor earthquake.

It's just hard here in paradise. Why I remember a frost warning about 8 years ago...

:D

Robert

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
LOL.....we'll have to catch up on that later, guys!! But, for now, yikes, I just figured out a months rent for a cheapie car is well, $18/day up to 50 miles, PLUS $11/day surcharge for 22 yr old. Thats about $900/Month!!! Its reality time, people!! All of a sudden, shipping the alfa doesnt sound so bad......

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Oh, almost forgot to tell the people here who supported me throughout this- this Thursday we go to LA!!! Yup, the day has arrived!

Hope all goes well......

Gonna get a quote tomorrow for shipping the car . Then its decision time for the alfa.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
$850 to ship to LA. Pick up is next week. Patching it up today/tomorrow. packing the trunk with stuff like toothbrush, shoes, canned vegetables, some whole wheat flour, bottled water, and computer monitor. Im allowed 150lb of stuff in there. Wil post a pic of the pickup day for old time sake.....

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
$850 to ship to LA. Pick up is next week. Patching it up today/tomorrow. packing the trunk with stuff like toothbrush, shoes, canned vegetables, some whole wheat flour, bottled water, and computer monitor. Im allowed 150lb of stuff in there. Wil post a pic of the pickup day for old time sake.....
We do have water here, and even flour, and we brush our teeth too. More FRESH veggies as most are grown here!

;)
R

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
LOL!!!!! Too much!

Guys, its -a -coming to LA on Sunday! Today, stomped out 2 fires: fixed a loose ignition switch that threatened me from shipping the car at all (car wouldnt start/nothing), and ac temp controller problem solved with a $7 generic 2 prong temps sensor and hose clamp!!!

Whew. Only thing is change oil tomorrow, tigjhten e brake, litle things. Sunday is the big day.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Posted a little infobit in your linked post.

BTW, how's he liking it out here? Having fun yet? He sure did move out here at a good time. Nice weather, sunshine, and starting to warm up! If you don't have an address to deliver it to by the time it gets out here, you're more than welcome to use mine. Got a spare parking spot in Hollywood right now.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Hehe...... Saw your post thanks. yeah, I noticed he missed the flooding/whatever. Got lucky. Sorry , if theres no address, the alfas coming BACK to FL. I put a return address on the envelope!

He says weather is great (Maybe I'll move out there too!). Hes shoppimng at IKEA/Costco for stuff. Man, its tough getting started. He might have no car for 4-5 days. Good time for him to edit a movie he just made.

Sr

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Is it pretty safe walking around Silver Lake in the dark with $700 cash in your pocket waiting for your car to be delivered?

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Its a big transport truck that holds 12 or so cars......cant be door to door. So, it may be say, 2,3 or 4 streets away.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
This is incorrect information; you actually have 20 days not 10. It used to be 10 some years back..
So, now things are rolling. Jr got an internship and soon afterward, it turned into a real job. So Now, things are different. Officially, he , you can say, is not a student anymore....but an employee in Calif. Now, he has to register his alfa, right? Has 20 days to do it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
also, I heard it is illegal to earn money if you are not a Cal resident. I meAN, DONT THEY GIVE SOMEONE TIME TO GET REGISTERED WITH HIS CAR and get a job? Kinda funny.....

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
As a student, or member of the US Military, he wouldn't need to register; he even can pay his taxes as a Non-Resident. However, anything he makes, part-time or otherwise, while in California is taxable income; you need a tax advisor if he has capital gains or dividend income..... Even golfers that live in Florida pay California income tax on their winnings for tournaments that are held in California.

But if he has a full time job, he's a resident, and needs a Cal drivers license and auto registration, insurance (must have proof of insurance with a California address to register a car), etc.

Congratulations and welcome to the sunny state.

Robert

·
Registered
627 Posts
Wouldn't worry about it too much. Do it when he can. Never heard it was illegal to make money in California if you weren't a resident, its possible though. Plenty of people not residents, making money here. Pay the state taxes on money earned here and it shouldn't be a problem. There are people who are Bi-coastal, working here and other states, full time or otherwise. If he wants to stay in California as his permanent residence, he will need to get it done eventually, but the few days the state says you have to do it in is ridiculous. The state won't go out of the way to hunt him down and deport him.

101 - 120 of 131 Posts