Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hey Joe,

You asked who carries a Calif.-approved cat, I got mine from Kragen Auto Parts. It's a "free-flow" model made by Magnaflow. The cat will have to have the all important "EO" number that shows it is approved by the Executive Officer of the California Air Resources Board.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Boy, I'm not sure I agree...

...It is also useful to have a local drivers license for ID purposes....

Be sure to attend some AROSC events once you arrive!
I'm pretty sure most don't agree and that I'm the minority on this issue. That's okay.:) Its not that I don't think that things should be done correctly and in a timely manner, but I still feel you should at least use everything up until it expires, before spending more money (registration, license, etc). Also, 10 or 20 days, I don't feel is very realistic or convenient. Especially when one is moving to an area that is unfamiliar. First find a place you want to call home, that you're happy with first, or you'll wind up spending more time, energy, and money than necessary.

Extreme example; a client of mine recently moved here from Miami. They rented a furnished house before they got here. The wife is pregnant, they thought the house would suit their needs for starting a family, and thought they liked the area (in one of the canyons). They lived in the house for one week. They hated it. The wife moved out of the house and into a hotel in Beverly Hills for about 3 weeks until they found another house that they really liked and could call home, until they find the right house to buy. Cost to them to learn this, $50,000.00 to buy out of the lease. This doesn't include the living expenses at the hotel or cost of finding and moving into a new home. Granted, most people won't even think of doing something like this.

Perfect example, me. Moved to Woodland Hills. Liked the area and house. Lived there for three months. Commute at the time averaged about 30 minutes. First day it rained, took 2 1/2 hours to get to work and 3 hours to get home (because people really don't know or forget how to drive here in any sort of inclement weather after all the nice weather). Moved to Hollywood 2 weeks after that. It was closer to everything and the drive was way shorter. Been in the same place for 10 years now.

I really feel one should move, make sure they're comfortable and happy, before registering or changing drivers licenses over.

Haven't ever really experienced a need for, or to present a local drivers license. Police around here are happy as long as you have one that is current and legal (in state, out of state, or foreign). If you need a local ID right away, get a CA ID and change the license later. That might actually help if you would like to establish a Bi-coastal residency.

Hey, nobody has even brought up The Best of France and Italy! Its coming up soon!

...you mean someone else can pay for my repair ifn it dont pass

...dont tell me you need to be on Govt assistance income/welfare to be able to qualify....
Yup, the state will help pay for your smog repairs if needed. No need to be on welfare. Not sure of the exact procedure. Info is on the California website. The testing facilities would probably help you out with what needs to be done too. Then after they mess up your car, you'll have to put it back to how it should be for best performance/fun.

I was actually quite serious about the flashlight and shoes by the bed. Make sure you put that in your son's head before he gets here. Also, make sure he has and keeps a supply of water that he rotates through the year.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
I really don't have a dog in this hunt but, if I may, I'd like to offer another suggestion. Unless you have an emotional attachment to your '87, I suggest selling it and replacing it with an earlier Spider that will be exempt from getting smog checked. Reading this makes me glad I live in Texas. :)

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,768 Posts
I really don't have a dog in this hunt but, if I may, I'd like to offer another suggestion. Unless you have an emotional attachment to your '87, I suggest selling it and replacing it with an earlier Spider that will be exempt from getting smog checked. Reading this makes me glad I live in Texas. :)
Nah, that would not make sense. He'd have to sell the '87 and then spend more to get a '75 or earlier in the same sort of shape.

Smog check is every two years, and like I said it's not too bad to get an EFI Spider to pass.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Moving to S Cal with 87 Spider, Need Advice

Jim,

The flaw in this suggestion, is that even an older car that is exempt from smog, but does not have a current registration in California is still subject to a visual inspection to register the vehicle. So all smog equipment must still be in place, it doesn't have to work, though, unless you buy a car old enough that it was not required to have smog equipment. I don't know what year Alfas first had smog equipment.

The same applies to a previously registered California car that has fallen out of the system and was not non-opped. After 7 years without paying fees or a non-opp in place, the car is dropped, from the California system and fees are written off. So even with a California plate and expired tags the car is subject to visual inspection to get re-registered. We had this problem with our Suburban, which had all smog equipment removed and was registered during the time that Suburbans were exempt because they were over the gross vehicle weight limitations. But once they took away that exemption we were in trouble and had to use some creativity.

FWIW, I could not live in Texas -- the heat would kill me.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
LOL....Texas.....gees, thats so far away from Disney!! Also, too many rattle snakes...LOL

Thanks, people, for the info. Me and my son will NOT sell that alfa for another . Tooooo much invested/too much stuff working just right after all our dedicated work. hehe, that thing was in dire need of care when we got it, and now to sell it..........One thing about these S3's, they start every time.

Great to hear any potential fixes can be fixed for free. I will look into this more on that site.

Thanks, also, Slash, for the info on the cat. Good to know that.

remember, its not until this coming January, so it will be a while....its just good to study in advance.

Thanks!
Joe

·
Registered
416 Posts
Oh, by the way, the Magnaflow cat I got from Kragen had to have a section fabricated to go from the down-pipes to the muffler. It is not a bolt-on direct-fit piece.

Let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Oh, by the way, the Magnaflow cat I got from Kragen had to have a section fabricated to go from the down-pipes to the muffler. It is not a bolt-on direct-fit piece.

Let us know how it turns out!
OK, just for my file (yes, I started a file for this project, organizing your info handily) is Kragen in LA? Cal? Where's Kragen (not another Waldo thing)........

Also, this Magnaflow, are all magnaflows the same?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,768 Posts
Kragen is a CA car parts chain.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
OK, thanks, gub. Now, I wonder how I never got aroun to asking this basic question, and yes, I can research it out, but figure easier to get it from the members here with a simple post:

1) How many times is one required to do a Smog test in Cal?
2) With the Gold Sheild program, is one roped into a different situation, like, if you go for a gold sheild repair, will one have to do 2 smog tests a year? Once every 2 yrs?

I did read it, and kinda hard to decipher sometimes.....

Thanks a million, people.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
FWIW, Kragen also has stores in Washington state and Nevada.
Thanks, Gub, and Cheryl. Oh, BTW, in recent posts when replying to Cheryl's posts/links I referred to them as "Pat's" posts, forgetting that yes, it is not Pat, but Cheryl. My apologies.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
OK, just for my file (yes, I started a file for this project, organizing your info handily) is Kragen in LA? Cal? Where's Kragen (not another Waldo thing)........

Also, this Magnaflow, are all magnaflows the same?
Kragen is part of the CSK Auto Group: Checker, Schuck's, and Kragen...

Magnaflow provides two California-compliant Catalytic converters. Part No. 36511 is a direct replacement of the factory part that includes the down-pipes, cat, etc. Part No. 36104 is a universal cat with a 2-inch inlet and outlet that has to be fitted to the car.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
So, looks like 36511 is more of the stock choice here, right? (I do have headers on the engine). This is all in being prepared to know what to do in case I do need one. Dont want to scramble at last minute out in LA on this.......

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yeah, the 36511 is the stock choice, but it is expensive. The Magnaflow list price is somewhere north of $1,000. The list price of the universal cat is over $400, but I got mine for about $125. I don't know what the "over-the-counter" price would be on 36511.

·
Registered
627 Posts

1) How many times is one required to do a Smog test in Cal?
2) With the Gold Sheild program, is one roped into a different situation, like, if you go for a gold sheild repair, will one have to do 2 smog tests a year? Once every 2 yrs?

I did read it, and kinda hard to decipher sometimes....
1 smog test every 2 years.

When you get your notice to renew, it will state on the notice, weather or not you are required to have your car smogged. It will also show if you are required to smog at a "Test Only" station, or if you can go to any place that can do a your smog test. Test only places are not allowed to do any repairs on your car, or supposed to be associated with a shop that can repair your car. Gold Shield places are a little different, in that you can do "Test Only" and they can do the required repairs to make your car smog compliant. These places have the required certification to do these repairs (they paid to get it). The only thing that would make it a different situation, is if you are trying to get the state to help pay for what is necessary to make your car smog compliant (most likely easier to use a Gold Shield station).

So, looks like 36511 is more of the stock choice here, right? (I do have headers on the engine). This is all in being prepared to know what to do in case I do need one. Dont want to scramble at last minute out in LA on this.......
Uh-Oh now you're screwed, you have headers! Your car is illegal. Using a two piece manifold makes you illegal as well. :eek: If you need a new one only thing you can do is put on the old manifold and original downpipes and cat!:rolleyes:

How handy is your son with the tools? Until he builds up a relationship of trust with a shop out here, meaning they know he isn't working for the state trying to catch them doing something naughty, most will not do anything that involves modification or removal of any legally required smog equipment. They do not want to risk losing their license or get fined. This does not mean however, that they can't do what is necessary to make your car legally compliant while on their property, at the same time making it so that you can easily change things out on your own, somewhere other than their shop.

If your Cat is fresh new and working, wouldn't bother changing it unless you have to. You have the O2 sensor still? You're going to need that to be legal and tested.

You could get it setup before the move, to have a provision in the system, to swap out cat or straight pipe (hollow cat), with a "Ca. certified legal" cat before its out here. Still illegal, but probably legal looking enough.

Easy enough to find an exhaust shop out here that can find you an "inexpensive" Ca. legal universal cat and put it in. Only have to make sure they install with flanges or slipfit pipes so its easier to do whatever you want on your own, otherwise they will usually cut it out and weld it in.

FWIW, I believe that most all of the cats including the 49 state versions can still pass the CA. required specs. Its a matter of weather or not the manufacturer wanted to go through the hassle of getting the required certification and little numbers engraved on the outside of the new Ca. cats. Passing on the extra cost on to you. Example can be seen with the IAP cats available (not badmouthing IAP on this, its a Ca. certification thing (although it could probably be made and sold for less money:))). An almost $100 difference to get, most likely the same cat, with some stupid numbers engraved on it.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
1 smog test every 2 years.

When you get your notice to renew, it will state on the notice, weather or not you are required to have your car smogged. It will also show if you are required to smog at a "Test Only" station, or if you can go to any place that can do a your smog test. Test only places are not allowed to do any repairs on your car, or supposed to be associated with a shop that can repair your car. Gold Shield places are a little different, in that you can do "Test Only" and they can do the required repairs to make your car smog compliant. These places have the required certification to do these repairs (they paid to get it). The only thing that would make it a different situation, is if you are trying to get the state to help pay for what is necessary to make your car smog compliant (most likely easier to use a Gold Shield station).

Uh-Oh now you're screwed, you have headers! Your car is illegal. Using a two piece manifold makes you illegal as well. :eek: If you need a new one only thing you can do is put on the old manifold and original downpipes and cat!:rolleyes:

How handy is your son with the tools? Until he builds up a relationship of trust with a shop out here, meaning they know he isn't working for the state trying to catch them doing something naughty, most will not do anything that involves modification or removal of any legally required smog equipment. They do not want to risk losing their license or get fined. This does not mean however, that they can't do what is necessary to make your car legally compliant while on their property, at the same time making it so that you can easily change things out on your own, somewhere other than their shop.

If your Cat is fresh new and working, wouldn't bother changing it unless you have to. You have the O2 sensor still? You're going to need that to be legal and tested.

You could get it setup before the move, to have a provision in the system, to swap out cat or straight pipe (hollow cat), with a "Ca. certified legal" cat before its out here. Still illegal, but probably legal looking enough.

Easy enough to find an exhaust shop out here that can find you an "inexpensive" Ca. legal universal cat and put it in. Only have to make sure they install with flanges or slipfit pipes so its easier to do whatever you want on your own, otherwise they will usually cut it out and weld it in.

FWIW, I believe that most all of the cats including the 49 state versions can still pass the CA. required specs. Its a matter of weather or not the manufacturer wanted to go through the hassle of getting the required certification and little numbers engraved on the outside of the new Ca. cats. Passing on the extra cost on to you. Example can be seen with the IAP cats available (not badmouthing IAP on this, its a Ca. certification thing (although it could probably be made and sold for less money:))). An almost $100 difference to get, most likely the same cat, with some stupid numbers engraved on it.
Man, I knew it.....to good to be true. Sorry, people, I shoulda mentioned this before, but it just hit me. Yes, it has headers. LOL. (shaking head, left/right, disbelief).

Dang. My son is kinda handy, but that is irrelevant as he wont have any tools when he gets a place there in Cal. I will have to do it here in FL before he moves there. Im sure I could find a manifold to pop in.

The cat has been on there since we bought it in 2004. A shop said its a high flow one. Not sure if thats good/bad, but like you said, maybe its still in good working order.

Now, for the tech record, do headers really contribute to smog vs stock manifold? If so, How? I cant see it.....

Thaks Shadow!!! (oh, just told my son up at FSU headers got to go and he said "aw maaaaaaaaannnnnnn!!!!!!!"

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,768 Posts
No, headers probably don't effect emissions much at all, but it doesn't matter. You're not allowed to modify anything unless the replacement part has been certified in CA.

Now, if stuff *looks* stock it can pass. It depends how clued-in your smog guy is about what's stock and what's not: remember, these guys aren't Alfa experts. But you makes your mods, you takes your chances. Personally I try to keep everything as stock as possible.

Unless it's been run rich or seen a ton of miles a 2004 converter should still be good, no question. Only way to tell for sure is with an emissions tester, though.

21 - 40 of 131 Posts