Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all... on my 76 Alfetta, the A/C compressor is mounted above the alternator on the drivers side, and takes up too much space, as well as just being uuuuhhhhgly. I’m going to put in a Vintage Air Sanden 508, which will immediately improve the looks. However, I was wondering if anyone has tried to move the compressor over to the other side so it’s aligned with the side the hoses exit the firewall and the drier is on. I’m running SPICA, so I have the FI assembly on that side, so that’s a consideration. Any thoughts? And yes, before you ask, I’m keeping the a/c in some form or another...
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
There is a bracket that puts the compressor below the alternator.
Some of the 78's and 79's had these.
They are heavy but provided a better arrangement for the alternator / compressor.
They did away with the earlier style bracket that had two plugs in the front of the cylinder head.
I had one years ago but sold it long ago when I installed a twinspark.
Sorry, I don't have a picture of it.
Maybe an ALFA BB member has one in storage.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can’t imagine that bracket is any heavier than the front-of-the-block setup I have! Would love to see a pic of that bracket! Thanks, Mr. 78!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
This one required a much longer #1 exhaust stud in the head for an attachment point and it required two v-belts.
One belt ran off the crank and water pump to the compressor.
The compressor had a second smaller belt to turn the alternator.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I dug up the pictures of the later style AC bracket.
I think these were on the Alfettas equipped with BEHR systems, some were after market installations, not sure.
Notice the one mount that bolts to the exhaust stud.

Alfa BB thread here: '78 - '79 Alfetta Behr A/C

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the pics! Frankly, that IS as dreadful as the cross-the-block solution! I’m going to keep experimenting, but will probably fabricate a new cross-the-block bracket and use a silver polished Sanden. If it’s gonna stick out there, at least it will be pretty! The compressor is certainly a better looking component than the alternator. I’ll post a pic of my final solution to close out this thread. Thanks to all!

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
I'd go to great lengths to hide the compressor myself, and the brackets do not need to be designed strong enough to hold up a skyscraper!

Go to a wrecker and see what Honda and Toyota do, and learn from their better/moderner engineering
Pete

·
Super Moderator
3,595 Posts
I'm part way through figuring out how to do this on a 1960 Giulietta Sprint I'm in the process of restoring for my folks, the 750/101 chassis has an added complication of the steering arms swinging in under the generator & dizzy on either side and the pulley is tight up against the front cross member. My current solution is to mount it where the generator should be and use a small Kubota type alternator driven off the back on the transmission or even the front of the differential with the alternator mounted on the diff itself. A big battery will more than suffice during the time its idling at a red light and the alternator is standing still. That way I get to keep the single drive belt and the compressor effectively tensions the V belt in place of the generator / alternator. I can hide a modern AC evaporator radiator inside the original heater box and there is lots of room in the nose of a 101 Sprint for the AC condensor & receiver drier. It all needs to be neat & tidy and totally reversible.

The Sprint will get a 1750 engine, 5 speed and big 3 shoe drums, 4.3 rear axle ratio. Otherwise it will look box stock, effectively a 1750 GTV drivetrain in an earlier chassis - a big engined comfortable touring car for the folks

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I didn't say it was pretty. I'm sure there are much tidier solutions out there now.
The rotary compressor did eliminate the vibration those old YORK compressors made.
It also put the heavy compressor lower and reduced stress on the cylinder head.
That bracket is Frankenstein-esque with the straight-angle cut thick steel.
BEHR. Good name for an AC company! I think they're defunct long ago.
I had this system in my Alfetta for a few years.
It was kind of anemic actually. Kind of like a hamster blowing on a snow cone to keep you cool. It worked better once I got out on he highway and it had a chance to charge up.
Florida heat is brutal in the Summer!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kind of like a hamster blowing on a snow cone to keep you cool.
What a great visual! You make great points about lowering center of gravity and taking pressure off the head. I’m going to need to think outside the box some more on this. The bracket in your pic could be improved, and I do like the belt arrangement on this approach better... thanks!

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Steve, have you seen this thread from 2017? Might give you some inspiration...

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Realistically, if it weren't for the position of the chassis rails on the 116 series cars, you might try to retrofit an oil pan from an S4 2 liter Spider with the integral compressor mounts on the passenger side. But I don't think there's space for that big hammerhead oil pan down there, right? SPICA occupies most of that side of the motor.
I googled photos of that later style compressor/alternator mount for the Alfetta, and at least it works. You could drill some holes to lighten it a bit, if you like. The positive thing is that you know it fits, which simplifies your installation. Larry at APE might have one, too. Just thinking out loud here...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alfaloco - awesome! Thanks so much. The older thread contains so much good info. So helpful. I do have the cross-front bracket, and may use it to create something lighter yet strong. Additionally, I have an S4 Spider, so I will check that support mechanism. Thanks for your help... I appreciate all the help from those that have been on the bb with so much experience.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts