Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's time to get busy in the shop and the first project is to move the oil fill to the back of the valve cover. The oil cap has been rubbing on the hood and the motor is dropped as low as it can go .
The plan so far is to hole saw out the filler neck then hole saw out a new spot for it at the back and have it welded in. And also make a filler piece to fill the hole at the front. Question is what type of Aluminium is it made of ? And is there a better way of doing this?

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Use the piece you cut from the back to fill the hole in the front :)
Happy New Year Dave!!

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Hi Dave,
Happy new year. From a functionality point of view I don't think this can be done. On a typical 105/115 engine we fill oil at the front cover in order to allow the oil to make its way down to the sump and the oil pump. If you move the filler cap to the rear of the cam cover, you'll only be pouring oil onto the cams, and at some point during the fill, the oil will spill over your funnel. In short the oil will not make its way to the front of the sump. Not good.

I would try to lower/modify the front filler cap to allow you just enough hood clearance. Just my thoughts.

Regards

·
Supporting Vendor
4,447 Posts
If you move the filler cap to the rear of the cam cover, you'll only be pouring oil onto the cams, and at some point during the fill, the oil will spill over your funnel. In short the oil will not make its way to the front of the sump. Not good.
There ARE oil drains all along the cam galleys, so I wouldn't think this would be a huge issue. It might take a little longer to fill, but it will be fine.

Joe

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Silly question, but is there any reason to not eliminate the fill cap on the cam cover all together and just fill it through the crankcase vent or even the dipstick tube?

Granted it would take a bit longer and/or be a bit more tedious than pouring it through a big honking fill cap hole, but it would certainly give a lot more room between the cam cover and the hood.

If it were a really desperate situation, one might even get away with filling through one of the cam cover hold-down nut holes.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Silly question, but is there any reason to not eliminate the fill cap on the cam cover all together and just fill it through the crankcase vent or even the dipstick tube?

Granted it would take a bit longer and/or be a bit more tedious than pouring it through a big honking fill cap hole, but it would certainly give a lot more room between the cam cover and the hood.

If it were a really desperate situation, one might even get away with filling through one of the cam cover hold-down nut holes.
Yes that is a silly question. :) You need a nice big hole to pour in the black gold. The crankcase vent could work but you would have to turn the car on it's side to get the oil in as it sticks out the side of the valve cover. I could find some sort of 90 deg fitting but it would be just for filling. That may work .The dip stick hole is way to small and the Twinspark uses m8? bolts to hold the cover on.
Thanks for the thoughts.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
course if you wanted you could actualy make a fill tube come off the oilpan..as seen on some older motorhomes and such due to angles required to fill them

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so I took the valve cover off to see how long it would take for the oil to find it's way from my new oil hole down to the sump . Answer is a good long time.
So then I started looking at the cover at the front of the Exhaust cam. If I drilled a hole in the centre of the cover and welded in a bit of pipe with a mitered 90 I would be all set. Find myself a nice cap and I am of to the races.
Here is a site with a nice cap MOCAL - SCREW CAP 1:1/2 O/D (38MM) - FF-SCR-24

What do you think of that ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts