Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my front Italian vintage license reproduction from licenseplates.tv and went to install it over the weekend. It doesn't have any pre drilled holes and looking at the front bumper there seems to be two options, the 4 corners or about a third of the way from the ends on either side (see attached pic)

I search the forum and couldn't find any details of how people mounted these. Some pics of real vintage license plates show it mounted at the corners but those plates are square and don't have the rounded corners that the repo has. I'm tempted to use 3M auto trim double stick tape and skip drilling holes entirely.

What have others done?

Attachments

·
Registered
349 Posts
How about using smaller bolts (smaller holes) and washers/nuts on the back side? Not sure, but you may be able to use the plastic inserts into those square holes and use the correct screw that will hold everything together. My American car uses that configuration.

I've always wanted to go with an Italian plate, as well. Not to be a killjoy, but around here in Mendocino County, the CHP will, with great zest and zeal, issue a fix-it ticket quite quickly.

I still like your choice Kurt... It will look great on your ride.

--Doug

·
Registered
870 Posts
Yep, velcro or the 3m double sided spongy bits. Used both over the years and never had one drop off,

Steve

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
Technically, there is a chrome frame that fits over the bumper plinth and is screwed on in the four corners to secure the plate. It's just a miniature version of the rear one.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for feedback. I did purchase a stainless frame from C Obert but the quality wasn't that good (rough edges and dents). Also since my car has effectively a partially framed mounting point (may be unique to '69) it seemed redundant.

I'm leaning toward the velcro or foam type idea over drilling holes in the plate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts