Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, could anybody who has successfully mounted a Denso mini-alternator onto an Alfa-Nord engine please post a photo or two of how you did it?

I can sort of see a couple of ways that might work, but it would be good to see one or two that have proved reliable.

I have the 45 amp model, one stud + 2 pin connector that I believe is from a Toyota forklift truck but is probably used all over the place. Very nice little thing indeed and cheaper new now than a rebuild on a 40 yr old Bosch. The built-in regulator is very neat too and removes the need to find a good place to mount the ancient regulator box and route the wring to/fro.

Thanks for any hints, photos or suggestions.

-Richard

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
I used the Alfa Milano alternator in my Duetto. Built in regulator - one wire installation - and a bolt in fit; even has a cooling duct on the rear cover. Also gives 65 amp output, which I need for my hi-power H4's (160/130 W) and H1 fogs (160W). [Be sure to use relays with these bulbs - the current will smoke the light switch].

Robert

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Robert, if you get a chance I would love to see how much clearance you got for the snout on the airbox as there isnt much room for larger alternators due to the fact they were originally fitted with dynamos.

·
Super Moderator
11,682 Posts
Hello, could anybody who has successfully mounted a Denso mini-alternator onto an Alfa-Nord engine please post a photo or two of how you did it?
Are you installing it on a 105 chassis Alfa? Something like a '67 GTV? If so, you have plenty of room. The photos below show my installation on a 101 chassis - there is less space in that application.

It can be as simple is putting a stack of washers between the alternator's mounting tab and the mounting pad on the engine's front cover. A machined spacer looks neater. You will also need to extend your slotted adjusting bracket, and put a spacer between the adjuster and the top bolt on the Denso.

I wrote a thread about my mini alternator install a few years back. You can find it at: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/giulietta-giulia-1954-65/38523-installing-alternator-750-101-a.html While my conversion was on a 101, much of it would be relevant to a 105 as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you installing it on a 105 chassis Alfa? Something like a '67 GTV? If so, you have plenty of room. The photos below show my installation on a 101 chassis - there is less space in that application.
Thanks Jay, that is what I plan to do - add one to a 2000 motor in a 1967 GTV. Your photos are exactly what I was looking for - thanks so much!

-Richard

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Here's an Alfa Milano 65 Amp alternator in a 105. Battery tray gets a bit in the way of the photo, but there's plenty of room for the alternator. The rear cover of the alternator can rotate in 120 degree steps (three bolts) to direct the duct port where desired.

Robert

Attachments

·
Registered
757 Posts
what belt did you use on the 101 setup?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Here is another shot, '66GTV w/ a Denso on a 2 liter. Belt size probably not applicable as I have a very small aluminum crank pulley.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts