Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still working through a no start on my 92 Spider. I now have several new red stripe relays purchased on EBay that test bad. The latest show 1.8M Ohms across the terminals. I tested the voltage at the fuel pump and I'm not getting any voltage when starting the car. I then jumped the fuel pump from the battery and I could hear it run but the car wouldn't start.

The other relays test okay but I don't understand the function of the red stripe relay. What does it control?

Can anyone recommend a source for a reliable red stripe relay? Amazon and EBay seem to be unreliable.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,859 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fuses and other relays are good based on my multimeter. I'll take a look at the wiring diagram but I'm not sure it will help me understand how it works. Can anybody give me a simple explanation of what the red stripe relay does?

Just because I've tried several relays (including the Land Rover one) doesn't mean they are any good. There are lots of counterfeits and crooks on these sites or maybe they've just been sitting on the shelf for too long.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,859 Posts
Unfortunately it's not particularly simple. Use that diagram and trace the power. It comes in at the upper left where it says "to battery," and goes out on the right at the G107 connector. Somewhere between there you've either got a relay not triggering, or a relay that's triggering but not properly sending power from terminal 30 to 87.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Make sure your fuses are tight on the two relays, just because they are good, they could have bad contact. I’ve seen some shimmed to make a good contact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately it's not particularly simple. Use that diagram and trace the power. It comes in at the upper left where it says "to battery," and goes out on the right at the G107 connector. Somewhere between there you've either got a relay not triggering, or a relay that's triggering but not properly sending power from terminal 30 to 87.
Thanks, I didn't even realize that the PDF I downloaded (below the diagram) wasn't the same one until I started looking for Battery and G107.

·
Registered
7,306 Posts
the red stripe relay is just a relay, but it has a diode to protect electrical surges getting back at the computor and damaging it.
it serves the injectors, the IAV etc.

first check for power at pin #30 of AUX relay socket (thats the one with the 15A fuse) and at pin #30 of the red stripe relay socket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts