Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the entire "Engine Conversions" thread. But I haven't seen anyone do a Motronic into a 105, at least not in this Forum. In my case I am wondering about a Motronic 2.0 out of a early 90's Spider into a 1970 Giulia TI.

What is the correct combination of water pump, intake manifold, will rpm cable work? etc.

My car is already hydraulic clutch.
I will be running Webers.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I do not this there is much to do. and if you dich the Fi and go back to caveman carbs. there is not a whole lot different.
The easy fix for the tach is to use the old style waterpump with the gear drive, it should be the same as if you put in the 2L out of the 72.
there is more work if it was not a spider motor things like not having a guide hole for the gearbox shaft etc.
but I think this is a very easy swap I think everything bolts right on. as it was a EFI car you do not even have to block off the ***** oil path.
how did the Giulia fule pump work? you might need to add a electric pump if the old motor had a mechanical pump.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I think I recall there is some part that needs to be sanded off on the head so the carb mount/cooling fit right some part that sticks out. I think it will be clear when you do it.
it was something that was only and the late heads. like a mount for a knock or something.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
might also want the spider bell. or the whole gearbox. if it is good. it should have a whole lot less miles on it.. maybe......

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sly,

It is going into a Giulia so caveman carbs are just right for it :).

From the research I have done, I can change the intermediate gear from a earlier 2L and get the tach drive to work, I wonder if that requires switching the entire front timing case cover to an earlier one too?

Also I hear that I need to machine or grind the head to clear the carb manifold.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I think it is just the water pump. but if the spiral gear is missing you might need the timing chain idle gear with the spiral gear.

but I kinda think it is there.
can't find the pic of the idle gear. but the end has the spiral cut and it poked out the hole on the cover at the bottom of the water pump.

you will know right away if you pull the water pump. if it is not there the whole motor has to come apart. and if that is the case I would just put a electric tach guts inside the old alfa gauge. unless you are taking it apart anyways.

Attachments

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'm in the midst of the same basic project - adapting an '89 2L to a '76 Giulia Nuova Super. In my case, I'll be swapping out the whole drive train.

You've hit on the big issues turned up in my research. I've been told that the intermediate gear from an early engine is needed for the tach drive, and some shortening of the shaft into the block is needed. Haven't gotten to that step yet.

Opinions seem mixed about using the FI head with carbs. Spruell suggested filling the intake port injector reliefs with JB Weld to avoid potential flow issues. Others suggest doing nothing at all, or swapping to an earlier head. I'd like to hear about the experiences of others.

We should trade notes as the projects evolve.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I do not think it would hurt flow as long as you port match the best you can.
The risk with glue is if it comes off you are going to do real bad things. And foobar the motor.

Depending on how big the carbs is by the time you port match to match the carb there might not be that much of the cut out left any ways.

There does seem to be some years that the metal is better the others. In some years the heads seem to crack a lot. A search of the bb should find that info

If you are going to have the head ported and dump a lot of cash into it I would search out the best years head. if just stockish I would just look for a cheap one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts