Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,743 Posts
The 1990 is a cool car and if you want S3 styling I think that's the best way to go. The Motronic with its higher compression and better exhaust is worth about 10HP, yes. Motronic is also chippable for a few more HP. Also has the electric fans which are a plus.

On the downside you need premium fuel, and with the '90 sometimes it's not clear which service manual you should be reading for which part of the car.

Owning both, I don't think the Motronic is significantly more reliable than the L-Jet but it is easier to diagnose with the check engine codes. Motronic definitely has better starting and cold idle characteristics because of the active air control.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,743 Posts
thanks for the response. I didn't even think about the electric fan... do the Motronic cars cool better? I never had issues with the L-Jet cars in heat... but I never had them in a hot climate.
I don't think it makes much of a difference in cooling - it's not like the S3s overheat. But it's quieter and (theoretically, at least) draws less engine power to have the electric fans. Also electric fans won't bang into the shroud and shatter if your engine mounts sag.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts