Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,422 Posts
Now if the hacks at CU could only read that review. But, their minds are made up, that Italian cars are junk, and will not last.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
That's a very informative series, and a great unbiased report on a superior Alfa sport sedan. Just as I have been told, a good solid car. Grazie, grazie Sig. Marchionne. RIP, sir.

·
Premium Member
9,677 Posts

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
excellent review about time.the other day i had a great italian car day lol i saw on the road a 4c white first time seeing one ,a stelvio a giulia fiat500x, maserati levante and fiat 500 all within 30 minutes.Im like yes its a good day,tired of looking at pickups and Japanese Suv

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
I've had mine 2 years. No problems and still love it every single day.

Now if Consumer Reports could pull their heads out of their...bias (or a**, you choose), maybe this excellent car would get its due in the market.

When I was still a subscriber to Consumer Reports I actually sent them details of my positive ownership in response to their non-data-driven review of the Giulia. If other Giulia owners are reading this, you might consider doing the same.

·
Premium Member
9,677 Posts
I have owned my Q4 for 18 months without any problems. The MT reviewer noted that they paid $197 for the first service. Mine was free.
Mine is too. Even got an extra oil change from them. Had mine serviced the other day for brake fluid change, I supplied the Motul 660 Brake fluid and they charged me $50.00

I have only changed air filter at 8K miles. No need for spark plugs for awhile since they are the NGK Iridium. I have at least another 55K miles for those. It's really nice just changing filters and oil. I don't miss working on my 164 on a daily basis. ;) Miss the 164 though.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mine too has been fantastic but please look at what C&D wrote about their 40,000 mi experience with the Giulia QV. Completely different story, which I posted last week in the thread "Giulia Buy Backs". Take a look it's not pretty, not pretty at all.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I saw that story in C&D, alfamale, and there did seem to be a huge variety of software/ECU glitches. But nothing like the news story I just read on the Ford 6 speed auto transmission debacle, in the Focus and Fiesta:

https://foxbusiness.com/markets/ford-transmission-warranties

And they tracked that Quad also, knowing C&D probably relentlessly, and then griped about replacing the warped discs and pads. That's typical Car & Driver, for me, going back a long time. Still, the electronics issues and the whining differential were troubling to read.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
The car and driver article is actually just ******** (8u!!$chitt). There was no earthly reason to leave the car at the dealership while waiting for the new diff when the only fault was a supposed whine (caused by what one wonders, the brainless and entirely imaginary 3.6 second to 60 mph, which I call ******** on also, not possible from a true standing start, not f'ing possible with that power to weight ratio).

And the throttle fault message also did not affect the usability of the car. One wonders if that fault was due to some driver antics given the interconnection of the stability control, traction control and throttle motors. A small air leak can cause these issues, just btw, because the throttle motors are controlled by the ECU and not the driver's right foot, just as for the brake by wire they couldn't get used to.

The tire wear they experienced tells you how they drive the car.

Also, disc brakes generally do not warp and vented discs cannot warp. Disc brake pulsing is almost always due to driver abuse, out driving the pads is the most common reason. The pulsing is due to tiny thickness variations caused by uneven pad deposits onto the disc most often caused by overheating the brakes with street pads. Another cause is random hot spot crystallization of the cast iron in the discs again mostly the result of careless driving too hard for the pads fitted to the car. Expert and competent drivers never outdrive their brakes or their tires. The truly great racing drivers were known for their uncanny ability to drive to the limit of tires and brakes but not beyond.

I've stopped reading both Car and Driver and Road & Track (owned by the same publisher for years now ). Neither set of journalists knows what they're talking about.

·
Premium Member
9,677 Posts
I agree, the article was crap. They rigged the whole thing to fail due to their abuse of the car. I have not read those magazines since about 1995. They are useless unless you like reading about how great BMW is.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
C & D has been full of crap going back to the days when they claimed their test Pontiac GTO did 0-60 in the low 5-point-something seconds... with street tires. This was at a time when 6 seconds to 60 was a REALLY fast car.. ok? And I'll never forget the laughable road test of a big honkin' full size Pontiac Bonneville 2+2 hardtop, comparing the sloppy handling favorably with genuine, well balanced GT cars of the day. Lying and exaggerating was their stock in trade, so I never read C&D regularly much less subscribed to the mag.

They did like the Alfas of the period though, the Spider-GTV-Berlina trio that sold so well in the '60s and '70s, and they reported fairly on them. I still have those road tests.

·
Premium Member
15,422 Posts
I gave up on C&D years ago when I realized that their chief aim was to just get in people's faces, regardless of actuality. I do get R&T but I get pretty tired of reading about how wonderful German cars are, esp for the uppity set, lol. I always think I will save a little money and finally cancel that mag.

I also read Autoweek, perhaps a little more realistic, but obviously not the same as when I started reading it's long lost parent Competition Press back in the 60s?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I get what you guys are saying, C&D did drive the s*^t out of the car but that's what car is made for. Learning about these faulty batteries coming out of Europe (Italy) I believe strongly if someone had just put a new American battery in it all those electronic glitches would have magically corrected themselves. What really pisses me off is Alfa did not do that. When you have a myriad of crap like they had but none of it ever disabled the car don't you, just for the hell of it, check the main power source that feeds all of the electronic dodads and see if it's bad? What do you have to lose. I don't KNOW that it would have fixed those problems but would have bet some healthy $$ that it would.

I have a Ti sport/perf Q4 and had a couple of little glitches over 2.5 years like the stop/start not working when I thought it should. I didn't really care that much because I do just defeat the system sometimes, but after I read about some of these cars having bad batteries I had mine checked and yes it was bad, replaced under warranty, and now the sto/sta works every time not just sometimes. And that's on a car that's running great.

The real damage here is that people who would have given Alfa a serious look might now just look completely past the Alfa sign out side and go somewhere else. I just don't get it.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I get what you guys are saying, C&D did drive the s*^t out of the car but that's what car is made for. Learning about these faulty batteries coming out of Europe (Italy) I believe strongly if someone had just put a new American battery in it all those electronic glitches would have magically corrected themselves. What really pisses me off is Alfa did not do that. When you have a myriad of crap like they had but none of it ever disabled the car don't you, just for the hell of it, check the main power source that feeds all of the electronic dodads and see if it's bad? What do you have to lose. I don't KNOW that it would have fixed those problems but would have bet some healthy $$ that it would.
Yup... that would have made sense to at least try that fix! I sure would have.

·
Premium Member
15,422 Posts
My feeling is that FCA Italy just didn't figure out how to run quality dealerships, as the Asians have done for a long time. If you are going to sell upscale automobiles, do a decent job of acknowledging customer concerns, drop snobbishness, and make people feel welcome, esp with efficient/competent service.

Our friend in Hartford with a Camry (not even an upscale car, lol) has always felt like the dealership really cared when she brought the car in for a service or an infrequent problem or concern. They ushered her in, always had the correct answers, and got her car out in very short order. They knew the cars, and offered no excuses. When it came time to replace it, she said that there was no question, the dealership quality made the difference. They never blamed her for anything.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
In Canada FCA attached Alfa Romeo to Ferrari/Maserati and FIAT to local Chrysler dealers. Alfa Romeo is moderately successful in Canada whereas FIAT pretty much collapsed, again.

In addition to making cars very differently to Asian or European manufacturers dealers of such cars are also run very differently, and not in a good way. It's a pretty weird cultural thing. North American designed cars do not sell well in the export market. The dealership style would definitely not export well.

I would say in general that Europeans expect to service their cars routinely whereas North Americans regard servicing requirements as defects.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts