1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome. Information!! Follow up question. I am knew to Alfa’s but would a 1982 Balocco edition car with this engine be considered to have a diminished value as a collector since it is not its original engine? I know that in some collector circles of other makes there is a huge emphasis on “numbers matching”

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I think that is Milano or late GTV6 2.5 Engine, I think the finned with Block is the late 2.5, finned with Script is the 3.0, smooth with script is an early 2.5. The intake has been modified though, the port for the idle adjustment has been blocked off. It might be because the early GTV6s had a slightly different version of the L-Jet system.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Later non-US cars had those, maybe from 1984 on. They're pretty much interchangeable with the other type anyway, and from the look of it they've been on this car for some time :).

·
Registered
339 Posts
Motor ID. - see 3.0 from factory with block lettering. I don’t think I have seen a finned cover with script. Also see stamping on block. There is a thread on this if you search.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I guess the Valve Covers can be swapped, but this is the style VC my Verde has.

3.0 Alfa.jpg

"Borrowed the pic from the interweb"

·
Registered
339 Posts
Nice...good to know...note I said “I have not seen them” and not “Alfa didn’t do that”...cause who knows what Alfa might do at any time, and reflecting my non expert status 🙂

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Awesome. Information!! Follow up question. I am knew to Alfa’s but would a 1982 Balocco edition car with this engine be considered to have a diminished value as a collector since it is not its original engine? I know that in some collector circles of other makes there is a huge emphasis on “numbers matching”
The collector value may be diminished but these are not highly-collectible cars. Some people endeavor to keep them original with matching numbers, but just as many add performance upgrades (like a 3 liter engine).

Depends on your reason for acquiring the car:
1) An investment
2) A pleasure car for the weekends
3) Track/autocross car
4) Be the coolest kid on the block
5) Other

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts