Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In doing my alternator replacement, I noticed the front lip of my crank pulley is nicely polished. The clearance between lower pulley and the metal arm below it is very very tight, so it looks like it’s been rubbing.

Am I right right to assume this is indicative of failing motor mounts?

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
In doing my alternator replacement, I noticed the front lip of my crank pulley is nicely polished. The clearance between lower pulley and the metal arm below it is very very tight, so it looks like it’s been rubbing.

Am I right right to assume this is indicative of failing motor mounts?
That is a good indication of sagging mounts. Hopefully, that is the only reason for the rubbing

·
Super Moderator
12,442 Posts
Transmission mount.

Reactions: Mauricio101

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to know, another thing to check.

Did some further investigation and considering I can noticeably push the engine back and forth considerably, I’ll pick up a set of mounts tomorrow and put them in this weekend.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Change the difficult one first (intake side), that way you get maximum flexibility when trying to fit the new mount

·
Registered
9,744 Posts
if you can noticibly push the engine back and forth 'considerably', they must be shot beyond belief!
My mounts, below, were really bad and the engine didn't move just trying to wiggle it by hand.........
1626939388144.jpeg

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if you can noticibly push the engine back and forth 'considerably', they must be shot beyond belief!
My mounts, below, were really bad and the engine didn't move just trying to wiggle it by hand.........
View attachment 1695340
"Considerably" may have been a bit dramatic, but it can wiggle noticeably. It only moves if pushed to the passenger side. The drivers side mount is very obviously less greasy and looks newer than the rest of the engine compartment, so I'm thinking the previous owner took the easy route, changed the drivers side only and left the more difficult passenger side one to fail on me.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had the same issue, sort of - when I revved the engine, or was accelerating down the road, no problem, but when I came to a stop I could hear something rubbing. Turns out, it was the fan rubbing on the radiator shroud. I had other service to do, so had my local Alfa mechanic replace the mounts; now it's secure.

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
I hate to ask, what would the other reasons be….
Something bent somewhere. A transmission mount would allow the engine to sag in the back so I have my doubts about that. If totally whacked, it could allow the engine to tilt forward occasionally but that is about it in my experience

1 - 11 of 11 Posts