Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the engine out of my '80 spider and (more or less) apart and am waiting on parts - so I was cleaning up a few things today. While cleaning some crud off the motor mounts I dissasembled them (seperated the rubber part from the stamped steel weldments) and it occoured to me to reverse, and turn the rubber sections 180 degrees. By this I mean - passenger rubber to drivers side weldment and upside down from the previously installed position etc.
They are in pretty fair shape with minimal 'bulge/sag' and by reversing and turning them, it seems I would increase their life as they would be dealing with stresses from another direction.
Anybody ever done this?

Cheers!
Dave G.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but you have the engine out and in pieces. Why wouldn't you invest the extra few dollars and just get new mounts? I guarantee it'll be a hell of a lot easier to put them in now than to replace your current ones later.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Er. because they are not in bad shape as they are, before the engine was removed I had about "two fingers" of space between the lower pully and the front roll bar. Also just throwing new mounts in can, and sometimes does, cause some problems too. I have seen several threads about replacement motor mounts being of sub standard quality.
Another consideration is, while the rubber parts appear to be identical they really have somewhat different jobs (unless of course you engine brake to the same extent you accelerate - perhaps some do, I don't).
Also - this is a 'Spica' car and replacing the mounts is not as problematic as it is with the later Bosch equipped cars.
I may also decide to turn some 6061 Al. for a close fit around the rubber rounds (79mm ID) as has been discussed in some other mount threads, this would stabilize torque reactions as well as providing an 'umbrella' to keep fluids off the rubber parts.
The price of new motor mounts of (perhaps) questionable quality would buy quit a bit of Aluminium round stock. Of course, as cheap as I am, I will just buy thick walled AL tubing of the right size, TIG weld a predrilled plate on it and then turn the OD for 'bling'. :D

Cheers!
Dave G.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
The price of new motor mounts of (perhaps) questionable quality would buy quit a bit of Aluminium round stock. Of course, as cheap as I am, I will just buy thick walled AL tubing of the right size, TIG weld a predrilled plate on it and then turn the OD for 'bling'. .
Or, you could save yourself the $, time, tooling, welding and polish by getting some caps already made by Paul Spruell and just bolting them on.

(making them yourself is cool, don't get me wrong. Just sometimes I'd rather take something out of a box and put it on without a whole lot of farting around)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
making them yourself is cool, don't get me wrong. Just sometimes I'd rather take something out of a box and put it on without a whole lot of farting around)
Sometimes I like the "take em out of the box" approach, especially on specialized rubber/suspension parts, but often I find the problem solving and satisfaction of making something that works on the car very enjoyable. I guess it makes the car seem more personalized. For me that far outstrips the money saved (or spent) and the trouble you go to!

Cheers!
Dave G.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Ah, so you have a lathe and mabe a mill along with some other spiffy machines that I'm certified to operate but could never afford to actually buy for myself and stick in a shop I don't have at the home I don't own :)

Nothing wrong with that then, if you've got the tools and such.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Also just throwing new mounts in can, and sometimes does, cause some problems too. I have seen several threads about replacement motor mounts being of sub standard quality.
Sub standard quality? Get the polyurethane mounts at $70 a pop and never replace or flip a mount again:D

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Sub standard quality? Get the polyurethane mounts at $70 a pop and never replace or flip a mount again:D
I was going to suggest the same thing, but David had already said it. I don't work on my cars anymore (no time), but when I did, I got tired of changing motor mounts. (And I can tell you that it is worse when you pay someone else to do it!) It's true that it's much easier in the older Spiders, but for me it was still more of a critical necessity than a fun thing to do. I only bought OEM stuff, so the pay one-time and last forever ploy is a great alternative. You should check out the threads about this.

Best regards,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts