Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the studs for the motor mount at the frame is the same size as the exhaust manifold studs at the head? I have a strip one on the drivers side.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
exhaust manifold studs are coarse thread on the head side and fine for the exhaust manifold side.

I believe that the motor mount are same thread both sides.

Regards, Elio

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
You will find something that will work at the VW parts counter, or a muffler place.

Will fit, correct thread for head, a bit longer. The VW stud has same thread each side, so you need to get a stud nut from them too. They don't use fine on the manifold side.

TTFN Elio

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You will find something that will work at the VW parts counter, or a muffler place.

Will fit, correct thread for head, a bit longer. The VW stud has same thread each side, so you need to get a stud nut from them too. They don't use fine on the manifold side.

TTFN Elio
Thanks Elio

·
Premium Member
1,695 Posts
The stud in the chassis for the engine mounts are 8x 1.25. Coarse thread. I am sure they are welded into the chassis. It is a PITA to fix.
You might try using a 7x1 die to put some threads on it if it is badly stripped. Or a 5/16 coarse American die, as 5/16 is slightly smaller than 8mm.
Exhaust studs in the head are 8x1.25 head and 8x1 manifold. Centerline sells 8x1 brass nuts, I think. But if I understand you correctly, that is not where you are having the problem.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The stud in the chassis for the engine mounts are 8x 1.25. Coarse thread. I am sure they are welded into the chassis. It is a PITA to fix.
You might try using a 7x1 die to put some threads on it if it is badly stripped. Or a 5/16 coarse American die, as 5/16 is slightly smaller than 8mm.
Exhaust studs in the head are 8x1.25 head and 8x1 manifold. Centerline sells 8x1 brass nuts, I think. But if I understand you correctly, that is not where you are having the problem.
Before seeing your post I tried the double nut trick to back out the stud but stopped when it felt like I might break it.........making a difficult job worst.

Instead I did a stop gap measure till I figure out if I'm going to take it to the repair shop to fix.

What I did was tighten the nut down till it started to spin in place and put on a second nut and tighten it down on the first one. I was able to re tighten the first nut a little more then finished up with tightening the second again. Got it real tight.............thnik it will work???

·
Premium Member
1,695 Posts
As long as the second nut is tight, forget about it until the engine is out sometime in the future. I can't tell you how many times I have replaced engine mounts and found that the bottom nuts are not there. Makes changing a bit quicker and does not seem to create any problems. Only have to put them back on. I think you are good to go!

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The second nut is tight...........

Erik your idea sounds better then what I did but I think I'm better off leaving it alone.

Thanks for all the help

1 - 13 of 13 Posts