Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Motor mount removal question? Please HELP!

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Joe Papa Sr 
#1 ·
Here is where I am. I have the car jacked up and have it supported by jack stands under the spring pans on both sides on the front of the car.

I have the jack under the oil pan on the passenger side ( I decided to start with the hard side first) and I have all the nuts and bolts attaching the mount to the engine and the frame off.

So here is the problem, I cant get the mount out!

I keep wiggling it almost loose but it wont come all the way off. I jack up a bit and try then let it down a bit and try and I cant get it off.

Should i loosen both mounts at the same time. Or is it best to do it one at a time ( passenger then drivers side).

Please help, what should I do?

#4 ·
There is a way to remove the passenger side mount without removing the support strut.

From the top, remove two of the three nuts that hold the mounts to the engine. Do this on both sides. Remove the bolt and nut at the base of the drivers (left) mount and the bolt at the top of the pass (the nut at the base of the passenger mount is easier from the bottom).

The engine is now sitting on the mounts but held only by the two remaining nuts.

From the bottom, position the jack near the center of the lower pan (use a piece of wood to protect the fins) and jack just enough to support the weight of the engine.

Now you can remove the remaining nuts from the mounts.
The engine is now loose and can be pushed left or right, and up and down to allow clearance to remove the mounts.

Be aware that this clearance also will allow the radiator fan blades to hit the shroud. You can sometimes move the blades around to prevent damage or remove the two bolts at the top of the radiator. This will also cause stress on the exhaust system (I loosen the exhaust at the rear of the converter/pipe junction).

Since the passenger mount is more difficult, remove the driver’s side first.
This allows the engine to be pushed even farther towards the driver’s side giving more room to remove the passenger side mount.

Now comes the tricky part.
Remove the bolt and nut that mounts the strut to the passenger mount.
The Passenger side mount will come away from the engine and the strut will slide into the recess of the mount.
The strut that holds the intake plenum is rubber mounted, it can flex.
Push the mount forward enough to clear the studs that held the mount and pull the mount down and clear of the strut. The mount can then be removed by pulling it through the space around the steering linkage.

To install, just reverse the procedure.

I have done it this way more times than I care to remember.
I have found that by not disturbing the intake plenum the chance of creating problems are diminished. The strut itself can be removed but it is difficult to do without long extensions and flex sockets.

Hope this helps
ELM

#5 ·
Instalation of the passenger side mount can be made a bit easier by modifying the new mount. I cut the forward hole of the bottom plate into a slot, toward the front of the car. This allows the mount to slide in without requiring the clearance to go over the stud.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.