Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped motors in GTV. The old mount on the exhaust side showed some “twisting” deformation but not terrible. Putting in the new mount results in same situation — mount seems twisted and a little offset. Yes, it went on but with some difficulty — didn’t just drop into perfect alignment.

Intake side dropped in pretty much true. Not a lot of finagleing to get it placed and bolted, but exhaust side different story.

What ought I look at on this? I’m just not sure this is “normal” as it took an hour plus to get that mount bolted in —

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,347 Posts
Has the car ever been hit on that side. Look for creased sheetmetal around bumper mount bracket. How is the camber? If it's OK and has stock upper control arms that is good. If it's OK and it has adjustable control arms and one side is longer or shorter than the other side that is a good indication it's had some kind of shunt. The problem with forcing the motor mount into position is that puts the tailshaft at the end of the gearbox off to one side which presents it's own set of problems. Hopefully there is another reason. Unfortunately for me it wasn't which is why I sorta can reply.

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, the car has never been whacked on the side. It did get hit from behind once but that wasn’t major. I agree with you re the tail stick and this is why I’m asking about this, I suppose I could loosen the trans mount bracket and see if it relieves some stress on the mount.

Any other thoughts or ideas ? I’m hoping I can true this up and maintain driveshaft centerline

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
check indeed if transmission and diff are in line. Probably you need to correct the gearbox mounting bracket. Loosen that up, also the central propshaft support. ( I encountered sometmes problems with correct position of the holes on that one, there are some slight differences in length of the first part of the propshaft.

·
Premium Member
21,146 Posts
Yes, and see if the rubber trans mount is centered. I've found them pressed into the trans only part way. Also, the steel trans mount, is it straight and bolted in basically aligned with the car? They live a tough life down there, get hit by stuff and bent.

Andrew

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems way better. All I did was drop the trans mount and center mount, and rebolt up. Not sure why tho..... but happy enough at this point I suppose! Thanks for the hints, weird tho...

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts