Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Approximately how much time should it take to change motor mounts on a S3 Spider (1983) assuming all bolts loosen easily or don't break? This would be my first time to do this job?

Thanks!

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
37 minutes.
Ok, mabe an hour and 37 minutes.

Would suggest doing the right/passenger side first as its the most evil and will suck up the most time.
Once that's accomplished, you'll almost be giggling with joy at how easy the left side is to do. (literally like 15 minutes if nothing goes awry)

·
Registered
222 Posts
There is an excellent thread on the board here:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/18478-engine-mount-replacement-dummies.html?highlight=engine+mount+dummies

which gives a blow-by-blow "how to" for this job. I followed the steps in the thread, and it saved me loads of time and frustration. To answer your original question, figure 20 minutes for the driver's side (do it last) and about 4 hours with lots of sweating and cursing for the passenger side. You will spend lots of time hugging the intake plenum on your S3. I did too.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I suppose that it might be a little easier if I partially remove the intake plenum (I should replace the intake runners anyways)?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Don't forget to add an hour for the treatment and bandaging of wounds to the hands.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"...and while I'm at it......"

..... and thus Superflow started down the long path on his way to that little place known as 'whylim atit'....
".....and while I'm at it, I will replace the fan belt, remove the A/C compressor and components, finally get around to change out the Oil Vapor Separator............."

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,560 Posts
"while I'm in thereitus" is an incurable diease.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
.......and now that I'm thinking about it, pulling the engine might make things easier, then adjust the cams, fix the radiator, new clutch, rebuilt gearbox..... new giubo....oh gees, I might as well paint the engine compartment while the engine is out......dang that Buick Park Avenue that I passed on is sure looking better!

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
".....and while I'm at it, I will replace the fan belt, remove the A/C compressor and components, finally get around to change out the Oil Vapor Separator............."
Thats all...LOL?

If you wash down first the inner compartment, might find it easier doing the job as its dark down there. Watch your knuckles as mentioned above.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts