1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a short thread to post a few updates:

First cars that are scheduled to attend the Meadow Brook Concours on Sunday:

The 8C class includes:
1938 8C2900B Spider Corto (ex-Maharaja of Indore)
1938 8C2900B Touring berlinetta
1932 8C2300 Monza
1931 8C2300 Zagato Spider
1932 8C2300 Touring Spider (Paris show car)

Significant Alfas include:
1931 1750 Gran Sport Zagato
1933 6C1750 Gran Sport Touring Spider
1948 6C2500SS Touring Aerlux Coupe
1951 6C2500 Pinin Farina Cabriolet

The 1900 Class includes:
1953 1900C Ghia Supergioiella
1957 1900CSS Ghia Aigle cabiolet
1953 1900C Ghia Sprint
1953 1900C Pinin Farina coupe
1955 1900CSS series 2
1956 1900CSS series 3
1953 1900CSS Zagato
All 3 BAT cars.

Most of these cars will be on display at the Motor City Alfa Concours on Saturday Aug 4, just out in front of Meadow Brook Hall. We've also arranged some discount tickets to tour MB Hall- which is a good diversion from the concours if you so desire. The gates and doors Meadow Brook Hall will be opened for us, with guides to take a group of 40 members on a tour every 30 minutes. Even if you were to pay $15 to view the house, the same as any common Bugatti or Ferrari owner, it beats looking at Disneyland because everything here is, like, real.
But we negotiated a deal: AROC members pay only $7 during the AROC concours (plus an extra 30 minutes) on Saturday between 9 AM and 12:30 PM.

During the lunch break at Waterford Hills, we've also arranged some significant cars that will be touring. We applied to the local township a ONE HOUR break in the noise restrictions, and are hoping that the GTA list does do some speed laps. Don Black has aggreed to host this part of the event, since he was so involved in the US race cars. Here are a current list of cars that will be shown at lunch:

GTA Grid
• GTA, ex-Lee Midgley
• GTA, ex-Ken Schley/ ex-Bobcor No. 52
• ex-Lepro GTA, 1965 Gran Premio Internacional de Turismo-Argentina
• GTA, ex-Dick Davenport GTA Jr (National SCCA winner-1971)
• GTA, ex-Horst Kwech 1971 Trans Am GTA
• GTA, ex-Horst Kwech No. (Trans Am 1970 championship)
• GTA Jr.
• 1971 GTA, ex-Frank Karney No. 32
• GTA stradale w/Corsa modifications
• 1966 GTA
• ex-Horst Kwech GTV

Vintage Alfas
1965 Giulia TZ
1958 Giulietta SVZ
1961 Giulietta Sprint Zagato
1931 6C1750 Gran Sport Zagato
1955 1900 SSZ
1982 Alfa Romeo Formula 1
Alfa Romeo Formula 3
1969 Duetto No. 50
1963 Giulia Spider No. 99
1972 Berlina No. 25
69 GTV No. 91
67 GTV No. 58
Giulia TI Super
1971 GTV No. 44
1967/GTV No. 81
1990 SZ (‘the Monster’)

Also during the touring laps, we will be hosting kids from the local Make-A-Wish foundation. This is a LONG tradition for AROC Detroit, where the kids get rides in some rather cool old cars. So where we can, kids will be riding.

The awards will be pretty cool, instead of trophies, the main award will be a small, sterling silver medallion- hand made by a local member. For a few special events, there will be a few glass awards, too (I have made 3 special glass awards for certain moving events).

Our Banquet Speaker is David E Davis. Not surprising, David E was very much part of AROC Detoit from close to when it was formed back in '56, and he is very happy to be at our event. David E. will alos be a guest judge at the Concours. David E has a LONG history with the US car magazines, including Car and Driver and Automobile Magazines (if you didn't already know that).

Finally, the big news we were very, very much hoping for.

The 8C Competizione will be shown by Alfa Romeo at the events!!! :D:D:D So if you want to see one live, of the 50 coming to the states, this is your first opportunity.

We still have openings for many of the events- the autocross, Rally, and concours, as well as discount tickets available for the Meadow Brook Concours.

I sure hope those of you attending have a good time. That is my #1 goal.

Eric Storhok
Chair- Motor City Alfa 2007.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Oh my............I'm drooolin' all over the keyboard in anticipation!!

Can I test-drive the new 8C by any chance???:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
You're kidding, right?. How can we NOT have a good time, with all the effort the Detroit AROC chapter has, and will, expend. Thanks in advance.

And... in addition to the informal BB gathering Wednesday night in the parking lot, how about rekindling the concept of "The Last Supper", where everybody left in the hotel Sunday night gets together for one last gathering?.

...I sure hope those of you attending have a good time. That is my #1 goal.

Eric Storhok
Chair- Motor City Alfa 2007.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
As someone staying over Sunday night, I think that's a super idea!!!
Ken

You're kidding, right?. How can we NOT have a good time, with all the effort the Detroit AROC chapter has, and will, expend. Thanks in advance.

And... in addition to the informal BB gathering Wednesday night in the parking lot, how about rekindling the concept of "The Last Supper", where everybody left in the hotel Sunday night gets together for one last gathering?.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Motor City Alfa 2007 - Late Updates / Last Supper

I am staying over Sunday night; flying out Monday afternoon -- still looking for a ride to DTW on Monday for a 3:00 p.m. flight.

I also made my avatar pin this evening to wear for the Wednesday night gathering or for just overall, does anyone recognize it. I think someone should put together an avatar list of everyone coming and see who can get the most right -- matching the name with the correct avatar.

And no, I'm not volunteering; clueless of all who is coming except the few who have let me know privately.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I can't say for sure when we are leaving.

On one hand, I want to take everyone's advice and take Monday off.

On the other hand, work is getting pretty busy now, and even taking next week off is not the greatest thing in the world.

I suppose I could drive to work from the hotel with the GTV, but that would make Ines have to park the truck/trailer....

We are game if we are there.

Eric

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Motor City Alfa 2007 - General Questions Thread

I can't say for sure when we are leaving.

On one hand, I want to take everyone's advice and take Monday off.

On the other hand, work is getting pretty busy now, and even taking next week off is not the greatest thing in the world.

I suppose I could drive to work from the hotel with the GTV, but that would make Ines have to park the truck/trailer....

We are game if we are there.

Eric
Eric:

Ever heard of "You deserve a break today!" I think it certainly applies to you and work in this case afer all the hard work on the convention. Take the extra day and enjoy!!! That way you can drive and/or park the trailer for Ines. ;) One of my least favorite jobs from all my years with Pat, the Suburban, cars, and trailers. I didn't mind loading and unloading or driving the Suburban, but with the trailer and a loaded car, no thank you. So I can sympathize with Ines.

I'm excellent at giving advice but not always at following it. Pat and I have made way too many of the midnight drives to be at work the following day at 6:00 or 7:00 a.m. or the night flight to do the same after an Alfa convention or other related event, like LS or CI etc.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
With that car line up... This sounds like it could be the Greatest Convention Ever! And A word to the everyone: Its been my experience through the past almost thirty years of ALFA ownership that going to the National Conventions with your ALFA is perhaps the most fun thing you can do with your car. So if your on the edge and can't decide, GO FOR IT! Let's all meet in Detroit!:D:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Oh man, I just can't wait!

Kent

·
Registered
460 Posts
Only one more day before I head to Detroit. Looks like Eric and co. have raised the bar. I have never been to a AROC convention that was disappointing. See you in Detroit..look for the black 164S with Texas plates.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
I hear you Andrew, I'm leaving tomorrow morning too. I'll be driving a blue Ford pick up with SIERT CONSTRUCTION on it and pulling the "Black Spider" on an open trailer. I should be there around 8:00 to 9:00 pm Tuesday night.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Only one more day before I head to Detroit. Looks like Eric and co. have raised the bar. I have never been to a AROC convention that was disappointing. See you in Detroit..look for the black 164S with Texas plates.
Co. Totally Co that is making this event so big.

BTW, it's going to be HOT this week- low 90's every day.

Eric

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Motor City Alfa 2007 - Late Updates

I fly to Charlotte NC tomorrow morning to pick up my "New" GTV then driving it up to Detroit. See you guys Wednesday night!!
I'm not flying out tomorrow to pick up a "new" car; I'll be lucky if I'm flying out at all. Providing the pilot shows up, I should be into Detroit tomorrow afternoon. As Pat knew how to pick every computer seller that would be out of business within a year after he purchased a computer from them, I've managed to pick an airline that may not be flying, but cancelling flights instead.

"BTW, it's going to be HOT this week- low 90's every day."

What's new, that is everyday in here Houston.
It's been in triple digits in California for the last month or so. I was hoping for a reprieve, considering it's been pleasant mid 70s lately in Michigan....no such luck apparently.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Eric - What's the plan on Thursday @ the track - I'm hoping that it will be possible to enter the paddock area? I don't have my car registered, but I hoping I can park outside the track & enter on foot? Usually you just sign a waiver to get in there - is it the same for thurs?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Eric - What's the plan on Thursday @ the track - I'm hoping that it will be possible to enter the paddock area? I don't have my car registered, but I hoping I can park outside the track & enter on foot? Usually you just sign a waiver to get in there - is it the same for thurs?
Thanks.

As long as you sign the waiver- you'll be good to go. Worth it, too!!!

Update for today- Ines, Scott Whitford, and I visited the autocross site today....

First things first, those of you used to smooth lots, I'll apologize well in advance- the lot if far from smooth, and we will do our best to make sure you don't get beaten to death.

Scott, Ines, and I laid out a pretty decent course- fairly long, and one that takes a lot of the available lot up. This happens a lot when you are limted to the quality of the surface, so we will do what we can.

It's a pretty decent drive away- it took us about 40 min to get there. Part of it's a good drive through Mt. Clemens, but give youself that much time to get there.

But if this is the other major part that isn't perfect, I think I can deal with it.

Eric

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
WOW! Can't believe this is this WEEK:eek:

Weather is going to be nice all week...........:cool:

I will be with the Green/White #991 Alfa Spider Wednesday afternoon for the Time Trials tech in the Hotel parking lot. I suggest all the BBers meet there. I'll bring the cooler with water and soda :D

Time Trials Thursday:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Got to go and load up ;)

See you all there, it's going to be FUN!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts