Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had one of these pressure bleeders for 5 or 6 years, and it's one of my favorite tools. Today I was using it to change the brake fluid on my '08 350Z, when the vinyl tubing, near the fitting on the bleeder's pressure tank, failed explosively. I had it pumped up to ~12psi, and how none of the Ate Super Blue got on my car's paint I'll never know. I was at the right rear caliper when I heard the "pop".

I haven't used the bleeder in a while, maybe a year, and noticed that the tubing had become a cloudy, yellow color. Still seemed soft and flexible, though. I guess over time the tubing deteriorates. So, check your tubing, and if it's yellowed, replace it. Home Depot sells a 10' coil of 5/16" ID clear vinyl tubing for $7.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to send an email to Motive tomorrow, and see what they have to say about this. I can only imagine how I would have felt if my car had been sprayed with brake fluid. I think I was very lucky in the way the failure occurred, but if these thing have failed before, Motive should warn users to replace the tubing periodically. I've never used anything but Ate Super Blue, and Super Gold fluid.

·
Registered
what part?
9,996 Posts
i would wash it with dishwashing soap and water a few times..and just to make shure i got all the brake fuild off you car. put the top up( are you in a warm climate?) get a lawn sprinkler on top of the hood, and let it run all day, this way the constant water flow will get everwhere and wash away any trace of brake fuild away,... by the way, your neibours might think you are ' strange' for doing this. but you are a 'ALFA ROMEO' owner.:):)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There wasn't a single drop of brake fluid anywhere on the bodywork or in the engine bay. I can only guess that there was a large air bubble in the part of the tubing where the failure occurred.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Thanks - I'll check mine before the next time I use it. Biggest problem I have with them is the sealant plate by the MC. Twice now when I thought I had it properly placed, after pump up I see fluid on the driveway.:(

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks - I'll check mine before the next time I use it. Biggest problem I have with them is the sealant plate by the MC. Twice now when I thought I had it properly placed, after pump up I see fluid on the driveway.:(
There are a couple of issues using the pressure bleeder on an Alfa. First, if you've got the older-style MC reservoir, which has one central cap and two other caps for the fluid-level sensors, you're basically out of luck. Those two caps for the sensors are not even close to being air-tight, so if you pressurize the reservoir, fluid will be forced out of those caps. I've tried sealing them temporarily with Saran wrap, but the pressure still causes big leaks.

The other issue is that even if you have the newer-style single cap MC reservoir (which I now have installed even on my '74), pressure can still be a problem. The reservoir is a friction-fit through two rubber bushings into the top of the MC. The fit isn't very tight, though, so a little too much pressure will blow that reservoir right off the MC. Never pump the pressure up over ~5psi, and you should be OK. The fluid flow during bleeding will be slower than at 15psi (which is what Motive recommends), but it still works fine.

Finally, always pressure-test your system by pressurizing the reservoir without having any fluid in the bleeder pump's tank. Pump it to 5psi, let it sit for a minute or two, and see if the pressure is decreasing. If so, see if you can find the leak, which will likely be either at the cap, or those bushings below the reservoir.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts