Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
It's RHD and all, perfect! I'm only a substantial lottery win away from making it mine!

Hmmm...although the seller makes a good case for the price, I can't see the percieved final value in this car with the original engine missing...as he points out, not for some. His Viotti sounds more my price range, certainly a fantastic collection of cars to have (* dreams *).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
moretti 750 gran sport

I have seen this car in person and can tell you it is fantastic. It is steel bodied unlike the '54/'55 gran sports which were aluminum but is still extremely light. As I remember it still has corner weights marked on each fender. The body is very reminiscent of early ferrari 212s by Vignale/Michelotti and has a VERY short rear end. The rear window falls almost straight into the tail and there seemed to be a quite large gas tank. It is RHD I believe and had really nice instruments. I would gladly give a nut to have it join my gran sport #1292 in line for restoration

·
Registered
267 Posts
Moretti 750 MM Sport Internazionale

Oh what a relentless life! Sometimes you have to be engaged, even more often to work hard, and seldom you have to take a chance only recognizing what is given to transitoriness ....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Hm, missed the ad on craigslist and now it is gone. Not the first place I would go look for a car as you guys described ...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hm, missed the ad on craigslist and now it is gone. Not the first place I would go look for a car as you guys described ...
Ha! Yes, it's not every day you see a Siata, Moretti, Viotti Fiat, et al, advertised together, let along in the 'local rag'. I was having a quick peek having narrowly missed an Abarth Scorpione on Craigslist last week! Anamera's looking out of touch lately. :p

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Moretti N. 823

Yes, the Moretti is mine. It is N. 823. The body is indeed steel, nicely made and is very lightwieght despite this. It is also a bit larger than a "Gran Sport". In fact, it is a fair bit wider and there is more room inside. The wide track should help it to handle quite well and perhaps more comfortably than the smaller cars? As mentioned in my ad, the chassis should be strengthened in a couple of ways before the car is driven hard enough to test its limits. Oh ... and you'll have to come up with an engine.

I removed the CL listing of 12/26/2009 and I reposted late last night with minor changes to the text. So, the listing can still be found even if the link posted above no longer works.

I think the internet has already proven that there is no such thing as a "local rag"? If nothing else, you may consider this something of a social experiment?

John

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Good luck with the sales, John. All very neat cars. I hope they will make room for something else fantastic.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Moretti generator?

Hi guys,
In all these photos I don't see a generator for the engine. Where is it located?
I've got a Marelli DN44, similar to a Giulietta Veloce that I've had on eBay, with no interest. I got it many years ago from a junk yard that specialized in exotic European cars.
It is marked Moretti and has a wider grooved aluminum pulley, than what an Alfa would use.
Thanks,
Keith

·
Registered
4 Posts
Moretti 750 GS Vignale Berlinetta

Please call me at 514-865-6509 if you would be interested in purchasing a Moretti 750 GS Vignale Berlinetta.
Thanks,
Jerry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dear David,
At about 2 years ago I send you already a message. Can you please answer me on my email: [email protected]
I've some original papers of your Moretti. I've also some spare-parts.
At this moment I've restored my Moretti and already sold it (# 1290)
Please answer me by email.
Best Regards
Frans Pisters

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hello David,
Congrats for the 750! I bought about a month ago 1294. I actually expect it to arrive soon in Greece. It was in the States most of its life (I believe from new). I would highly appreciate if you could share with me your database on these cars and I will gladly share whatever I may find on 1292. My email is : [email protected]
Thanks in advance!
Alex

·
Registered
13 Posts
Info on Moretti 1294

Hello Alex,
Somehow I keep getting emails sent to me that address me as David. I am Gary Hathaway and I once owned Moretti #1293. The engine from my car found its way into Moretti #1294. A complete history of these cars has been elegantly put together by John de Boer. If you contact him, I'm sure he will gladly send you a copy.
Best of luck with #1294.

John de Boer [email protected]
The Italian Car Registry
14090 Beyers Lane
Grass Valley, CA 95949 USA

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hello Gary,
John is a very good friend of mine and as you probably know #1294, was owned by his father. I know all that is to know about these cars but I wonder if any group member may have some period photos or other info to share with me. By the way, it was John's father, Jarl who bought 1293 engine back in the early '90s and put it in 1294. My engine is now into 1290 and I think that 1293 is now in the ex-Ludvigsen's car (now in the Lawrence Auriana collection).
All the best,
Alex Vazeos

·
Registered
13 Posts
New information

Hi Alex,
Unfortunately, all the documentation on my Moretti was posted to this forum and i have no other photo's etc. I can share with you that I raced my car somewhere out in the valley in Southern Cal. as part of the SCCA sponsored day of practice. I was on the track with Ken Miles who was going rather quick. I had little time to become acquainted with my Moretti and so found it difficult to negotiate corners especially as the brake drums (which were an aluminum alloy) had become warped by the prior owner(s). As the ratio between 4th and 3rd gears was rather unusually tall, I over rev'd that 750cc engine once too much at 8,000 plus. So my racing career ended that day. It took more than a year to find a way to communicate with the factory for parts. In fact, the first order was a disappointing gemish of belts and other stuff which bore no relation to the crankshaft bearings I required. When I finally got the parts, I had to take the bearing shells and have the babbitt poured locally, rods aligned locally and all the rest done by feel as I had no access to a dealership. All in all, it was an education.
Good luck with your motoring
Gary:)

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Moretti engine N. 1293

Actually, it was I who purchased the engine #1293 in company with 750 Tour du Monde No. 2999, which still had its original engine but it had thrown a rod years earlier. My father picked the car and spare engine up in New Jersey for me and I gave the engine to him for use in 1294s. The engine #1293 had come previously from C.E. Easterday in Tennessee and before him the engine had already spent some time with 1294s but I do not know if it was actually used in the car even though that was implied. Another engine (#823) was also associated with 1294s for a time but it has disappeared. It is the original engine for a car (#823) that I bought from my father several years ago. It is a great car that I have offered previously but am trying to avoid selling in these difficult times that still have amazing possibility.

The Tour du Monde was sold to Italy around 1988 and I tossed in a disassembled Crosley engine as "spares" that were to be given to Ilario Bandini ... which he did not acknowledge on his own but which he told me he received when I asked. He opened up to me a bit after that but I did not get the impression that the Crosley engine was the catalyst. Who knows?

John

61 - 80 of 98 Posts