Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Moretti 750 - Ferry Renault

Welcome "dr4" and thank you for your memories. You were already on my "to-do" list as someone I should search out in order to (hopefully) learn more. I do not yet know the chassis number of your car but I have notes that you advertised it in June of 1958. A bit more than two years later it (almost certainly) was advertised again in Washington state. After that .... ??

I would welcome any more memories, particularly if there is additional descriptive information that may help us to identify the car's identity. And, if you PM me with a direct means of contacting you, I will share a listing with some more detail that i would enjoy having you comment on.

These cars do have some flaws, but some of them can be overcome, and they are wonderful objects regardless. I have a 1952 car that definitely has some inadequacies in the chassis, strength-wise. It will be a challenge doing a repair and strengthening it in such a way that the repair looks like it belongs to the original design ... if I get around to doing more than just fixing it and living with its foibles.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello iicarjohn,
Thanks for your note. I wish I had more information that would identify this particular GT. All I can remember is that I had two dents repaired with bondo (yikes!) one on the top of the right front fender and one on the little tail light cover, and of course the egg crate grill. There is another Moretti with such a grill conversion and I've often wondered if that was my car. It really wasn't a great car relative to the Porsche of the time. It had great looks and a great sound, but that's about the size of it.
dr4

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Moretti 750GS

Hi dr4,

The one known car utiizing an eggcrate grille is 1293s, formerly Karl Ludvigsen's car. It does not have its original engine as engine 1293s is in 1294s and the history of the engine (1293s) is traced back to about 1964 when it was in Tennessee.

The chassis 1293s is also traced back to the early 1960's when it was in Florida with owners who sold it in the 1970's to New Jersey. So, it would have had to go from Washington to Florida between 1960 and 1963/64. Quite possible! Now I will try to learn to see if the possibility can be verified or denied.

Thanks for the inspiration.

John

·
Registered
13 Posts
That's it! I did sell the original engine to someone in Tennesee, not Arkansas as I had thought. And it wasn't Fayetteville, it was Nashville! Now I remember it because I'd thought that is where the Grand Old Opry was. BTW, I had included a handwritten text of how to remove and replace the camshafts and set the timeing and warned them not to lose it. Not a week later they contacted me and said they'd lost it and wanted another copy. But no soap. I couldn't remember the procedure anymore. Thank you so much for your help. My Moretti was indeed 1293s.
dr4

·
Registered
267 Posts
my files ( K. Ludvigson research ?):

California > Washington
1964 Florida, property of Norman & Betty Dobbins; Dunedin
1966, Gene Cesari ( planed restoration, buying more Moretti-parts, stored in Pennsylvania) but sold body to
Jack O'Donnel; Westfield, New Jersey

regards
Peter L

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Gentleman I believe at least two cars had egg crate grills as one raced in period in Italy with one and the Ludvigsen etc car has a Vondutch made grille as well, David
Incidentaly I am looking for someone to take my Tdm convertible of my hands for a very small sum so any contacts who may be interested will be appreciated

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi dhunt750,
Yes, it was Vondutch. He was an artist, so maybe this lessens somewhat the shame I carry for altering an original.
dr4

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
moretti

dr4 keep it coming i am interested in anything about your gran sport and any details and photos that might help in my restoration you have would be great thanks David In addition I would love to speak to you personally as it is a much quicker way to cover a lot of ground. Id be happy to call if you leave me a number thanks David

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello. New to the forum but I also love these beautiful cars. I was wondering if anyone has any underbelly shots so we can see the rear end, chassis and front suspension details. I know these little jems had a transverse leaf spring front suspension and a live rear axle but I've always been curious about the details.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Meowy check out the fantasy junction sold section as it has great shots of the ex bucciarelli car now owned by Tom Stegman and shows much mechanical detail, David

·
Registered
2 Posts
David, excellent!! Thank you so much for the info. What an interesting design, especially the rear suspension where the leaf springs form the upper and lower arms. Also in the front I knew the suspension was by transverse leaf springs as well but I imagined them to be full length across the car, the lower one in particular.

Anyhow, thanks again. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
#1293s awaiting engine swap

Here's my Moretti sitting outside a garage awaiting an engine swap. Can't recall the name of the mechanic. Location was Costa Mesa, CA. Note the Von Dutch grill work. I have no shots of the underside of this car. Sorry.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
moretti

I believe the car has a tilton clutch and a number of A-H sprite parts to augment the Moretti stuff that was not available. Bucciarelli apparently had a very good and practical mechanic who put it all together
thanks, David

41 - 60 of 98 Posts