Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 14 years of lust and research I was fortunate enough to acquire Moretti Gran Sport #1292. I have a significant database which I can offer to those interested in the cars but am also looking for any parts/restoration/engine building/aluminum body work/contact info on these cars. I am particularly interested in historical/archival/race pictures of #1292. It has been in this country since 1954 and raced I believe in Texas and Florida. Any help will be truly appreciated, thanks David

·
Registered
54 Posts
David,

Please post some pictures. Most members probably have never seen this beautiful little twin cam before. Congrats!

What parts are you looking for?
jp

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I remember the Moretti. This is the gorgeous little coupe that looks like an 8/10 size GT, right?. Pictures, please...

David,

Please post some pictures. Most members probably have never seen this beautiful little twin cam before. Congrats!

jp

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I remember the Moretti. This is the gorgeous little coupe that looks like an 8/10 size GT, right?. Pictures, please...

David,

jp

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I couldn't stand it... remembering a car pictured in Road & Track magazine so many years ago. Is this it?

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
moretti

Yes, the one you have pictured is probably #1290 or #1291 When this picture was taken it was in Holland and owned either by Kruseman or Paalman.
I originally fell in love with these cars after reading the August 87 issue of Automobile Magazine which had a great article by Pete Vack on Karl Ludvigsens georgeous car (now owned by Laurence Auriana). This was cemented by the Road and Track article from November 91 which featured the same car.

I eventually found one in this country for sale in 1995 with an Alfa engine and MG steering rack. The owner and I corresponded and negotiated over several months but I had yet to finish grad school and get a real job and could not afford the asking price. He eventually wrote me the greatest letter and in a very nice way basically told me to get my priorities in order, finish my education, marry the girl of my dreams etc and that I would find another car someday, despite the fact that only about six to eight still survive.

Well I did all he suggested and in 2000 I got the job and called him. The car had been sold two weeks prior to my call for less than my original offer and had gone to Florida to a very well known collector. I called him and he had just put it and another car on a boat to Holland, sold to another collector of Italian beauty. The guy in Holland was not interested in selling period.

I trolled the internet on a regular basis and four years later came across two of the cars still in Holland now for sale by another vendor.
In the meantime I was rebuilding a 1987 911 and just as it was about to be put on the road it was in a shop that was totally flooded destroying fourteen cars including mine. After a year the insurance company paid out and gave me the 911 back.( I got it running and now track it)

The insurance proceeds were then, after some negotiating, used to buy the Moretti and have it shipped to me. It now sits in totally disassembled splendor ( on the enclosed porch of a house I am restoring) awaiting some serious attention. My family alternate between loving it and thinking I am completely nuts but as anyone knows who subscribes to this forum it is a wonderful, contagious and incurable disease.
Anyone who has an interest let me know as I have all the articles (seven I think), Ludvigsen archives 8x10 photos of the cars and more than fifty other photos of these little beauties that I would be happy to share. I need a steering column and want to talk to anyone who can help or is interested particularly if you have expertise in engine rebuilding or aluminum body work or know of any pictures of #1292 ; la vita e troppo corza per non guidare Italiano
Thanks,
David

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
David,

In 2005, Gregor Fisken (the London-based dealer) displayed a 1954 Moretti 750 GS at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in the UK. Registration number was 161803-TO (Torino). Bright red paint but seemed slightly unfinished inside, from memory. Maybe you could contact him and ask for any photos etc. Good luck with your restoration! It's a delightful little thoroughbred :)

Alex.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
At one time, I owned one of the two Zagato bodied versions of this car. I have heard that as many as 200 Moretti 750 twin cams were made, but everything I have seen points to something less than 50 cars built, including all coachwork variations. There are both 3 and 5 main bearing versions of the engine, and some have downdraft and some have sidedraft carbs.

·
Registered
258 Posts

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
At one time, I owned one of the two Zagato bodied versions of this car. I have heard that as many as 200 Moretti 750 twin cams were made, but everything I have seen points to something less than 50 cars built, including all coachwork variations. There are both 3 and 5 main bearing versions of the engine, and some have downdraft and some have sidedraft carbs.
Did Pat's 1967 Moretti Sportiva belong to this same family? His was more swoopy or waved on the fenders and had more like a kamm tail....the appearance is very different from what I can tell and remember. Granted there is about 10 years difference in styling and production dates.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
moretti

Actually the sportiva is I believe a fiat 850 based rear engined little beauty. Its styling is reminiscent of some of the Dino styling exercises done at that time. Many variants were made. By this point Moretti had ceased production of its own cars and started to focus on modified Fiat products. I am not sure when the switch came but probably in the late fifties as his 750 TdM cars were expensive and not a massive hit stateside. The economic realities of designing and manufacturing were probably too much. Prior to this he prided himself on making cars that were "all" Moretti.

·
Registered
70 Posts
David

That's one cool car. Search and search this history I have just done this for my 1959 Fiat Abarth Zagato 750cc in the matter of one month we have got info all the way back to 1961. Even one owners had some parts ( the serial number tags) and lots of pictures that are now on there way to me.

Good luck and move before the history is gone for good.

Abarth GT750-Rust Never Dies

If you can tell me what year it was raced I may be able help.

Mark

·
Registered
267 Posts
To my knowledge in the row downwards
Gran Sport without paint
*1.290*S = ex Car Discoverys, NL; engine 1294 ( ! ). I guess it's located nowadays Autohaus Mirbach, Germany: http://www.mirbach.de/main.asp?main=auto_detail&ID=2677&subnav=1&preisgruppe=classiccars
the
Blue-black *1.293*S ex Karl Ludvigsens, no original engine.
the
red-black *1.294*S = ex Fantasy Junction engine no1.293 ( ! )

Rumors are talking about 7 cars made. In my personel opinion there were 10 or even a few more.

Peter

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Boekman, I believe that the car you posted is #1297 the car out of Chicago that I originally saw for sale with the Alfa engine. Ill dig out some original pics for you. the car has had an "interesting" renovation note the painted aluminum trim around the windows. This car is one of the few where the headlights are fully frenched in with no trim ring. It was recently for sale at digitmotorsports and cave creek classics. You might check out the Bonhams website as they sold one for about 90 000 Pounds this summer.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts