Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, sorry to drag this topic up again but I searched the forums and couldn't really get a straight answer. My oil question is a little more specific, though.

I'm rebuilding my trans and replaced the syncros. The dog teeth on my second gear were slightly worn, but not so worn that I was going to spend $$$ on a new gear. I've kind of been freaking out about what oil to put in, because since I've got it all apart and cleaned out I'd like to put in the right stuff.

I'd like to use synthetic oil, since I live in a northern climate and my gearbox would get very sluggish in the winter with regular oil. I've heard good things about Redline 75w90, but I'm wondering if I should maybe use the heavier 75w140 to help with second gear shifting. Any input on this? Thanks!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I tried the redline oil for a while and I thought it to be to thin. I change last year to the shell spirax hd and I found it to be the best oil so far I really like the way the car shifts now. Thats my two cents worth

·
Premium Member
21,349 Posts
I'd guess you'll have more friction with the heavier oil. I would expect it to slow everything down some, which probably would not help the synchros. If Alfa had wanted such a heavy oil, wouldn't they have specified its use?

Andrew

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
If you decide to go synthetic...Redline 75W90NS is the choice.
The redline oil is specially formulated to make the synchros work that is what the NS designation indicates (no slip?).
It is important that the oil has this NS designation.
75W90 or 75W140 synthetic gear oils from the local auto parts shop have too much slip and not the oil you should use.
If I may, ill quote JoeCab at Centerline, he uses the Redline 75W90NS. THat is not to say that the Shell Dino is a bad choice.

Best regards, Elio

1 - 5 of 5 Posts