Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 76 spider. My engine is a monument to bad pollution controls and poor engineering choices
Item 1. The air pump is a noisy, rather heavy contraption that does little. Since there is no catolitic converter the added air is not burning more pollutants. What it is doing is making noise, stealing a little horse power and increasing back pressure in the exhaust. Since I have historic plates and no pollution inspections tell me why I should not disconnect or better yet remove it ?

Item 2. There is a pipe taking hot air generated by the exhaust manifold and pumping it into the intake. The owners manual says the idea is to keep intake air at aboutv104F. Very odd way of controlling mixture. You really want the coldest air possible for intake which creates the densest charge and more HP. This system is ... Well Italian. I also see a temperature control on the injection pump. The idea is to change it based on seasonal air temperature. Feels like they have 2 designs working against themselves. Why not leave the pump setting on winter and eliminate the heated air intake? Has anybody out there found a winning formula ? Please don't say carbs ! Lol

Best!

·
Premium Member
3,747 Posts
Tiger,

Since you have no smog test requirements in your area, you can start with some mild changes that can bring your engine back to U.S. 1974 specifications. This was the last year that emission requirements didn't materially affect engine power. Here's a starting point that can be done with used parts:

1. Replace the 4-into-one header with a stock, '72-'74 system that runs 4 into two, then one. This also requires a new front muffler.

2. Replace the air cleaner box with a stock '72 - '74 version

3. Remove the air pump and associated tubing and plumbing.

4. I think you can re-time your cams to an earlier setting

5. Check with Wes Ingram Ingram Enterprises, Inc. || Home Page about tuning your SPICA injection pump (Wes is an Alfa Romeo Owners Club technical advisor, and I recommend you join AROC).

Beyond this, there are many different paths for more performance and using "Search" here will bring you to many threads about these choices. However, as they say; speed costs money. how fast can you afford to go?

I just bought a 76 spider. My engine is a monument to bad pollution controls and poor engineering choices
Item 1. The air pump is a noisy, rather heavy contraption that does little. Since there is no catolitic converter the added air is not burning more pollutants. What it is doing is making noise, stealing a little horse power and increasing back pressure in the exhaust. Since I have historic plates and no pollution inspections tell me why I should not disconnect or better yet remove it ?

Item 2. There is a pipe taking hot air generated by the exhaust manifold and pumping it into the intake. The owners manual says the idea is to keep intake air at aboutv104F. Very odd way of controlling mixture. You really want the coldest air possible for intake which creates the densest charge and more HP. This system is ... Well Italian. I also see a temperature control on the injection pump. The idea is to change it based on seasonal air temperature. Feels like they have 2 designs working against themselves. Why not leave the pump setting on winter and eliminate the heated air intake? Has anybody out there found a winning formula ? Please don't say carbs ! Lol

Best!

·
Super Moderator
12,076 Posts
This system is ... Well Italian
Given that these parts were mandated by the US Federal Government, only appeared on cars delivered in the US, and were not installed on cars sold in Italy, I'm puzzled why you would say that.

conedriver said:
Since you have no smog test requirements in your area, you can start with some mild changes that can bring your engine back to U.S. 1974 specifications.
The changes that conedriver recommends make good sense. But, just removing the air pump and the intake air heater won't make a perceptable difference in power. Sure, removing the pump is probably worthwhile - eventually it will seize up or fall off - but don't expect to be smoking your tires once it's gone.

·
Registered
207 Posts
One other thing to consider is ignition. Some smog setups used two sets of points and would switched to the retarded set under certain conditions. Switching to an electronic setup or removing the retarded point set will also help. I removed my extra point set and had the distributor re-curved.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts