Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noise is gone (the noise sounding like a bad rod or main bearing), it was the loose flywheel bolts. But now, under load, as it being in gear, accelerating, a newer noise. Sounds like a hammer hitting a rubber pad quickly. In nuetral and revving the engine up, no noise, even with the clutch engaged or even disengaged (ruling out the tranny). I'm wondering if it is plugs or the exhaust banging around, I freshly wrapped up my tail pipe with mechanics wire as the muffler is shot, allowing the tail pipe to swing side to side which made a similiar noise to what I'm hearing. New plugs on Monday, new muffler should be ordered on Friday??? Not sure about the dynamics of it all being under load and not, it points to both items, but am not sure...
AC is not working either. Fan comes on, air blows out warm, compressor clutch not engaging. It is set at the coldest setting. PO told me (I got the car with no AC belt) that when the belt broke the AC worked real good, but I'm not seeing it. Low pressure switch, high pressure switch, something else??

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
For the hammer noise, check the guibo and the rear transmission mount.

Regarding the AC, my bet is that the system has leaked out causing the clutch to not engage or the compressor is shelled. Can't tell anything until you hook up a gauge set and see what the static and running pressures are.

The comments from the PO are comical. Worked good until the belt broke, huh.:rolleyes:

PO: Yea, the belt broke, but the AC was working great until then.
Voice inside my head: This guy's a liar and thinks I'm stupid. The compressor probably crapped itself through the whole system and will require a complete overhaul.
Me: Well, why didn't you just put a new belt on for $10?
PO: I didn't have the time.
Me: Hum.
Voice inside my head: This guy is a crook. Walk away.
Me: Sorry, this one's not what I'm looking for.

BTW, I got the pinon socket back yesterday. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the hammer noise, check the guibo and the rear transmission mount.

Regarding the AC, my bet is that the system has leaked out causing the clutch to not engage or the compressor is shelled. Can't tell anything until you hook up a gauge set and see what the static and running pressures are.

The comments from the PO are comical. Worked good until the belt broke, huh.:rolleyes:

PO: Yea, the belt broke, but the AC was working great until then.
Voice inside my head: This guy's a liar and thinks I'm stupid. The compressor probably crapped itself through the whole system and will require a complete overhaul.
Me: Well, why didn't you just put a new belt on for $10?
PO: I didn't have the time.
Me: Hum.
Voice inside my head: This guy is a crook. Walk away.
Me: Sorry, this one's not what I'm looking for.

BTW, I got the pinon socket back yesterday. Thanks.
No, thank you for the socket. The actual story you list above was more like:
Me: Are you sure you want to trade a $500 bike for that car?
PO: Yeah, wife says the driveway needs cleared out for her car, bike can fit in the garage.
Me: If you're sure we'll do it, no problem!
PO: I don't want to, but you know women....

·
Administrator
16,621 Posts
Even with good motor mounts the engine will move when a load is applied (as in accelerating) and thus allow things like the exhaust system to hit something nearby. Perhaps that is the noise you are hearing?

I don't know anything about the ALfa A/C system but it is my understanding that most A/C systems have a way to prevent A/C operation when the refrigerant is too low. I believe the refrigerant also functions as a lubricant for the moving parts.

And the only case I've dealt with (Ford Ranger) where the A/C belt broke was because the compressor siezed...

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even with good motor mounts the engine will move when a load is applied (as in accelerating) and thus allow things like the exhaust system to hit something nearby. Perhaps that is the noise you are hearing?

I don't know anything about the ALfa A/C system but it is my understanding that most A/C systems have a way to prevent A/C operation when the refrigerant is too low. I believe the refrigerant also functions as a lubricant for the moving parts.

And the only case I've dealt with (Ford Ranger) where the A/C belt broke was because the compressor siezed...
Not the compressor siezing by itself, usually the clutch siezes first. No, the pulley is spining, but not the clutch, telling me the clutch isn't engaging, wasn't sure if this was a usual Alfa problem. I need to hook my gauges up and see what is going on in the pressure department.
As far as the noise, it goes away after a while, funny little noise...

·
Administrator
16,621 Posts
Again I don't deal much with A/C. On my son's Ranger one day the A/C quit. Pop the hood and see the A/C belt is gone. Install new belt, switch on A/C and belt breaks. A/C clutch would free wheel (or whatever you call it when the pulley moves but the A/C is not on). The compressor itself was seized.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Again I don't deal much with A/C. On my son's Ranger one day the A/C quit. Pop the hood and see the A/C belt is gone. Install new belt, switch on A/C and belt breaks. A/C clutch would free wheel (or whatever you call it when the pulley moves but the A/C is not on). The compressor itself was seized.
Yup, you're right. I'm more used to dealing with cars where the ac doesn't work anymore and then all of a sudden the belt breaks from the clutch going out. Refrigerant itself isn't a lubricant, but the refrigerant delivers the oil, also, if liquid builds up in the compressor it can also lock up the compressor.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Just reach in (with the motor off) and see if the inner part can move.
but as far as I know. if the thing has not run for a length of time the seal will dry out and all the gas will leak out. it some times can happen in less then a year. That is why in cold places you need to run it time to time in the winter. and some systems will auto run for a few sec after each start.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My thumping noise came from my center support mount for the driveshaft....real easy check...lift the car, grab the driveshaft and feel if it moves freely..

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My thumping noise came from my center support mount for the driveshaft....real easy check...lift the car, grab the driveshaft and feel if it moves freely..
I'm getting the Centerline rebuild kit for the driveshaft soon, new center mount and bearing along with the donut and U-Joints...Are U joints easy to change on these cars? They don't seem to look like they come out like chevy or ford style...

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Thumping.. Just for grins, make sure that when you put the tranny mount plate back on that you didn't miss the hole in the mount. I have missed it before and it went together just fine but the tranny bounced causing the thump.
Good luck
Stan

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thumping.. Just for grins, make sure that when you put the tranny mount plate back on that you didn't miss the hole in the mount. I have missed it before and it went together just fine but the tranny bounced causing the thump.
Good luck
Stan
Right hole and this noise can only be heard not felt, not on the gas pedal, brake pedal, clutch pedal, steering wheel or seat...

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
when you do the U keep the old "C" clips the new ones some times are too thick.
and you will go nuts trying to get it to go to go together. one side will go in but the other side will not fit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts