Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As mentioned, I received new Radiator from DiFatta. It is made by Sava in Germany so it is not the exact original. Today I came home early to finish up what I thought would take 30 minutes. Unfortunately, I have run into fitment problems. I am attaching some photos.

It appears that the height from bottom of radiator (where it sits at the bottom) to top where the fan attaches is about 3/8" shorter than the OEM radiator. Thus, I am unable to attach the fan shroud and fan.

In the first photo you can see that the hole for the fan shroud sits higher than the radiator equivalent.

In the 2nd photo, I measured distance from bottom of bracket to fan mounting hole on new DiFatta radiator. You can see it is about 17" exactly.

In this 3rd photo I measured the distance from bottom to the mounting hole on original radiator (as well as radiator from parts car). You can see it is about 17 3/8"

I guess I will have to call DiFatta tomorrow and hopefully not get a run around. Any ideas welcome.

My frustration level is reaching an all time high. Just a few minutes ago my wife says, "do you think we should get rid of this car. you are spending way too much time and money on it".

Attachments

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Check the bottom of the old rad

there are two rubber 'donuts' that the bottom rad pins sit on. Make sure these are attached to the new rad.

If it still is off, we can shim the bottom edge I am sure without too much trouble. Can you take photos of the two rads side-by-side? I have only ever used a Valeo replacement rad

·
Premium Member
27,373 Posts
Hopefully they sent you the wrong radiator and have a correct one in stock. Send them the pix.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is not shims or the rubber donuts as the fan shroud sits in top bottom brackets / fittings on the radiator itself. Picture removing radiator with fan attached as an assembly. Even with both out of car, they do not fit together properly.

Sava Part number is al2052 on the box.

Hopefully they did just send wrong item and they have the right part. I have emailed them pictures since they would otherwise think it is the mechanic rather than the part! in my book, if Steve says it does not look right then it is not right! I also hope I do not get stuck with the shipping charges!

Ah well, I was looking forward to enjoying her over the holiday weekend. That will not be happening.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will take some pics side by side but will wait until after I talk to DiFatta. Removing it means I have to pull that danger lower hose again! Plus, maneuvering it (the radiator) into place is not much fun either.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
oh yeah

Thats right, the lower lip is on the inside edge of the rad== I forgot about that!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is latest from Giovanni at Difatta. Will let you all know what I find out when I call.
-------------

Call paul at the shop tomorror,he have installed 2-4 allready.
The Only radiators availables,and only few left in my shop when they go,no
more for no body,
These radiators are better qualitys than the original they are made in
copper.
Talk to paul at 1 8006387656/
Regards.
Giovanni

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
mike whats the skinny

on the radiator saga?

Trust me, all this hassle will be worth it. You'll have a great cruiser car, super comfy and tight together, and will grow to really love it. I just went thru something similar with cooked coils and ign amplifiers to find a breach in a wiring harness after about a month of work. But its done and the car is singing its sweeet song for me and this afternoon I take her up to Orange County for hockey tourney, traffic will be bad but what do I care? I;m in my LS!

·
Premium Member
9,814 Posts
Here is latest from Giovanni at Difatta. Will let you all know what I find out when I call.
-------------

Call paul at the shop tomorror,he have installed 2-4 allready.
The Only radiators availables,and only few left in my shop when they go,no
more for no body,
These radiators are better qualitys than the original they are made in
copper.
Talk to paul at 1 8006387656/
Regards.
Giovanni
Well, that is somewhat the case but I always have exact fit aluminum ones.
Better quality and I have fit 100's of them. haha!
If your interested let me know? I can see about discounting them slightly for you!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Success

Hi all,

Radiator is installed.

After talking to Paul, I wound up taking dremel tool to elongate holes in fan shroud where the screws attach at top of radiator. Brought them down about 3/8 inch so shape is now more like a tylenol tablet Die bringer would have been faster but I could not find the bits.

Anyway, once that was done, everything else fell into place quickly.

The one good thing is that this one is all metal, no plastic end caps, so it should be rebuildable in years to come. It is also a bit thicker than the oem valeo, took just over two gallons to fill.

Temps seems to be real good. It is hot today and I did not get past the line before the 195 center mark.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
so how is it?

driving that 24v sweet song car ??

Are we all done with 'must do' maintenace catch-up and now can focus on the more cosmetic, nice to have items??

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So far, so good. Let's see if we can go a full week without needing to repair something else.

Unexpected costs of radiator, timing belt, and other needed repairs has delayed the nice to haves for a bit. So long as she behaves, I will eventually get to the climate display, fuel sender, maybe even upgrades like Q runners. On a plus side, all the cosmetics are darn close to perfect.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
RIght approach

but I would discourage you from buying and installing the larger Q runners, unless you get them super, super cheap. I speak from direct personal experience. I have Q runners on both my cars, one set I bought way back when and the other set I got in a swap for some stuff IIRC.

Noticeable loss of low end torque and power, especially on automatic car with the Q runners. OTOH, at higher rev range (over 4300 or so) it does open up the breathing and a modest increase in 'pull factor' is noticed. But, given the relatively sedate driving I do in the auto car, I rarely get over about 3800 - 4K RPM -- very rarely. The 5 Speed car again has noticeable loss at <3K RPM but once on the cam it goes like a scalded cat. I guess it depends on the kind of driving you do. Around town, Q runners for an old guy like me are a bit much ado about little practical gain.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts