Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for everyone reply about my automatic 94 164LS engine lost repsonse problem. It was still parked at place when this problem happened.

I finally experience the problem myself. At first it seems to run fine when engine is cold. After about 5 minutes' driving, coolant temp passed 160F. At first stop light, engine suddenly stopped. Restart it and it happened again at next stop light. Restarted it again with some difficluty, need to depress gas pedal to start it, as I was moving again, rpm suddenly drop to almost zero when gas pedal almost released. Quickly pulled over, end the test driving and have AAA tow the car home.

Karl

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
First check the air boot between the AFM and the throttle body for cracking. Then maybe check the fuel preassure, should be around 40 PSI or so. Then clean all electrical contacts and ground up as a start. The 24V motors seem to have more FI issues then the 12V motors, almost entirely due to that fact that the 24V motors use more sensors and have a more sophisticated FI system. Are you getting any codes from the computer? Turn the ignition to run then press the accelerator peddle 5 times, this should flash a code. Report back to us and tell us what you find, best of luck,
Jon

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
engine power got cut off

I think I have a better description of the problem. When it happens, it is almost if someone has cut off ignition and later reconnect it again.
Because eninge sound will suddenly gone silent and a second or two later back on again...

Karl

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
I think I have a better description of the problem. When it happens, it is almost if someone has cut off ignition and later reconnect it again.
Because eninge sound will suddenly gone silent and a second or two later back on again...

Karl
Suspect you have an ignition switch problem if it cuts off and comes back on.

Another issue maybe connector with corrosion to air flow meter so disconnect connector to it located on top of air cleaner, clean with contact cleaner and pack with dielectric grease.

As for ignition switch lower fuse panel door under steering column, now locate switch connector (above right knee driving position) and jump red wire to brown wire and see if car will run withoutr cutting out. If so switch probably going bad.

If bad order 91-93 switch as it comes with door locks so you can keep one key for doors and ignition. The 94-95 switch hard to find and very expensive.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ignition switch connector was melted a few years ago, I replaced it with other connector. Need to double check it.

Karl

·
Premium Member
15,544 Posts
That is the EXACT problem my 94LS had. It acted like the ignition was cut off and then reconnected. It would always reconnect, was never stranded anywhere, but it was always harrowing when it happened, esp when we were out in the boonies.

The fix which cured it in my 94 was cleaning those ignition multiconnectors with electronics cleaner and a toothbrush, and using about a half a tube of dielectric grease everywhere to seal them. Later I cleaned and grease everyother connection in the engine compartment as well. I also added thick mylar dielectric film under the individual spark plug coils and down each spark plug hole. No more electrical snap snap at idle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts