Alfa Romeo Forums banner

What budget would you estimate for this project?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a hobby around building pre-war sports cars. Scratch around for a few years and there are generally enough close to original parts out there to get a good start. Being quite simple in construction then everything else can be fabricated (usually). They then get driven hard which is also the most tremendous fun and if you don't hurt yourself then its a good day all round.

The following link is my latest project that readers may be interested in. It will be updated from time to time as the build progresses. I'm about to rebuild a 1960's 2600 to power the thing but if anyone has a post war 6C engine of whatever capacity I'm very interested.

Vintage Alfa Romeo - scratch build project.

·
Administrator
13,672 Posts
Great workmanship but why ruin a genuine historic irreplaceable gearbox by modifying it to take power and torque it was never designed for. What a shame :(.

Surely Stokes and others make new gearboxes too?

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
I have a hobby around building pre-war sports cars. Scratch around for a few years and there are generally enough close to original parts out there to get a good start. Being quite simple in construction then everything else can be fabricated (usually). They then get driven hard which is also the most tremendous fun and if you don't hurt yourself then its a good day all round.

The following link is my latest project that readers may be interested in. It will be updated from time to time as the build progresses. I'm about to rebuild a 1960's 2600 to power the thing but if anyone has a post war 6C engine of whatever capacity I'm very interested.

Vintage Alfa Romeo - scratch build project.

Very interesting project and sure will follow your progress.

Lionel

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Call David George at DLG Coachworks in PA. He will give you an honest assessment of what you are getting into money-wise (and he's a great resource for parts and knowledge).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great workmanship but why ruin a genuine historic irreplaceable gearbox by modifying it to take power and torque it was never designed for. What a shame :(.

Surely Stokes and others make new gearboxes too?
I have some sympathy with your views. But I am also on a budget and those new 6C boxes are a stretch, in the same vein a new 8C engine is my kids education so which would you choose? i have seen on example (Bruce Rudin) who took a 6C, attached a good supercharger and new internals to get about 200 bhp. I think it was an Autorestorations NZ project. Externally one would not know the difference and in this world anything that can be done can also generally be undone.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Call David George at DLG Coachworks in PA. He will give you an honest assessment of what you are getting into money-wise (and he's a great resource for parts and knowledge).
The thing I'm noticing about those who like Alfa's is the world is so small and they are all so helpful, Thanks and will do. I've posted up some new pictures on Pinterest by the way.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The engineering alone would cost more that $250,000. It would be a lot cheaper if a set of drawings could be available or better yet a complete car that could be totally disassembled to copy the parts.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The engineering alone would cost more that $250,000. It would be a lot cheaper if a set of drawings could be available or better yet a complete car that could be totally disassembled to copy the parts.
Fred - thats where the magic comes in. Prewarcar, Les Six Tronnes, Designcast, Ebay, Italparts ....... Wait long enough, look hard enough and there are all sorts of appropriate parts out there old or, for my purposes better still, new and accurately made. I will admit though that the Monza is proving a challenge. As example, I attach a link for a Bugatti project just completed. There are enough drawings and parts out there to build one from scratch except maybe for the engine. My budget was $90K, a close inspection will reveal the difference but its not bad and drives well.

Journey to Work in Charleston #bugatti ... | Vintage Bugatti - on...

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Charleston,
A very nice project and great workmanship. However unless you start with the remains of a real car you are taking a financial bath. I prefer to get the remains of a real car and resurrect it to its original glory. Researching its history is fun too.
I have been doing that on a 1935 Maserati V8-RI Grand Prix car for several decades. On that project I found the engineering is the biggest effort (travel and my labor). On my car I got lucky. I located and visited the other 3 cars and found 2 of them apart for inspection. I was able to spend time with the details and get lots of photos and hand sketches. Finding helpful owners is a blessing too.
Chasing parts is a fun part of the effort, particularly when you find a treasure. I go to swap meets, trade parts with other collectors, and troll for parts every day on the internet.
Cheers!

·
Administrator
13,672 Posts
I have been doing that on a 1935 Maserati V8-RI Grand Prix car for several decades.
Wow! And the best part is you end up with something real ... and don't rob other restorations of real parts.

Sorry I hate replicas that use real parts when there are fellow car enthusiasts desperately looking for those same real parts ... replica guys just drive the prices up and supply down ... just so they can say "that part is real"!

Make it from scratch or use modern mass produced components IMO.
Pete

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Poll results

Thanks to those who voted in the poll. The answer so far is approximately $200K. This is for an accurate reproduction using mostly new parts. The two major exceptions are gearbox (original late model 6C) and engine (1960 AR 2600). If we used a blown 6C add $100K, 8C add $200K.

To buy a reproduction "off the shelf" would be around $450-650K depending on the spec. So grubbing about for 4 years saved around $300K and made some friends along the way. I'll settle for that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's been a while since the last post here. The project is now near completion, parts from 14 countries in all but most from NZ. I took advice given on the thread for both the engine number (chassis number can't be confused now with factory) and the gearbox. Got Jim Stokes to make me an 8C dog box rather than chew up an original one, that went to a chap in Switzerland building a 1750. I've posted some photo's of the build as it stands. 6 months to go, here is a link to the build file. https://www.pinterest.com/luxsimplified/vintage-alfa-romeo-monza-1934/

And yes as advised, I blew the budget by a large margin. Funny that!

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,672 Posts
Workmanship is most impressive!
Pete

1 - 14 of 14 Posts