Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I have the same Miles Per Hour face on my RHD Montreal which came out of Australia. They must have made the RHD Jaeger instruments for the UK market, which is the only place still using Miles.
(in addition to the USA)

That is very interesting that you have a RHD Montreal, from Australia, Karl. I did not notice that you were in Michigan, USA until I saw your post under Don's 'Full Monty'.

There is a speedometer face shown by Rob3375 in post #55 above that is probably just like yours. Rob3375 is in the UK with a LHD Montreal. Perhaps you two would like to work out a trade deal...I guess either way, the driver is always on the driver's side of the car:)

To post a picture, you need to use some sort of 'hosting site' to store the pictures. They'll give you a link to the photo. Personally, i use http://www.imageshack.us for my images but have had some issues...but when it works it is fine. Here are a bunch of other sites, most are free for basic image hosting. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101026183135AAgAkev

Mark

·
Push hard and live
8,911 Posts
I store pics on my computer, and post them to the BB as appropriate. Having too many places to store things will most definitely result in lost items and confusion for me. This explains why having multiple garages and tool boxes leads to extra glasses of wine in the evening.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
This explains why having multiple garages and tool boxes leads to extra glasses of wine in the evening.

Well the tools, light, jack or jack stands needed is always in the "other garage".

Don, please tell how you post photographs directly from your computer. I asked my young son how to post photographs because it would not work directly for me. :wheelchair:

I too suspect that the speedometers are the same, just the faces have been changed to confuse the innocent; I have been wrong before though and Yves seems pretty confident. He admitted "The speed pointer doesn't care whether it's miles or km"...which seems to prove our case especially when the MPH speedometer has both scales on the same face.:confused::confused:

·
Push hard and live
8,911 Posts
It seems likely that the gearing in the ODO would be different between the two versions of the instrument, but not the speedo.

To post pics to an Alfa BB thread, you click on "Go advanced". There you will see "manage attachments", or something similar. After that you'll find "Browse", where you roam around your computer to locate the desired picture. After selecting the picture, click "upload". You are limited to 5 pictures per post.

My problem in the main shop right now is that I am working on the Montreal, rebuilding two 102 engines, and restoring a dead friend's 1967 Yamaha YL1E. This requires me to have baker's racks taking up space, holding parts for each project. Once I get the bike done, a rack goes away. The largest rack was holding body parts, carpet, etc for the Monty. That rack will be relocated soon. That will leave only the rack for Monty mechanical parts. When I start the spare Monty engine, I'll have to move the big rack back in, and the insanity will return with a vengeance.

Did I mention the 30 year project known as the "Internal Combustion Organ"? That one is a black-op affair, so cannot be discussed further.

So, are you going to amp up on the speedo face/applique project?

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
There is a lot of good information here about MPH speedometers but no progress to date. I have a very nice working 'KPH' speedometer cluster (or a tachometer cluster) that I would be willing to trade for a 'MPH' speedometer cluster. Conversely, I'd be interested in a simple MPH overlay that would cling to the face of the speedometer, if anyone has one of those available still; if so please send me a PM. I made my own but it did not turn out very well -so it ended up in the bin.

Mark

·
Out of the office!
11,156 Posts
Mark, this thread started long before I started doing stickers. I've recently created some dry transfers for some 105/115 air cleaners. The company that made them for me told me that they have also created dry transfers for speedometers and tachometers. Sooooooo, if we can get a nice scan of an MPH speedometer face plate, the graphics would be really easy to create. You would need to supply the substrate (plate) to apply the dry transfer to.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
That is interesting Dom. The Montreal was never imported by Alfa Romeo to the USA, although initial intentions were probably to do just that. I believe Tom Sanor's 1976 Montreal had the seat belt indicator, so perhaps the later cars received them.

My previous cars owner practically had to fight with the 'President' of Alfa Romeo just to get seat belts added to the car when he bought it. (See Bruce's site under 'Asia'/ Paul Severson for his story).

He wanted side mirrors as well but was told "they were not macho"! It has been 47 years without side mirrors and I still can't pull the trigger on my drill to install them; despite buying two sets of mirrors and backing plates that go inside the door or fenders.

Brian, I don't know why did I not think of you for this project? You are perfect for getting this done and done right! I must be slipping a bit. This is probably the best photo that I can come up with but I can photograph my 'metric' speedo and provide dimensions or as you often prefer, I can send it to you!

105MPHspeedo.jpg

You've probably read the thread but we could use a clear plastic film type speedometer overlay with Imperial measurements on the inner ring in yellow. Similar to Dom's photo above but the metric speedo lacks any inner MPH indicators as necessary. I can do the mental calculation pretty fast but it is usually done just after I pass a cop!

Mark

·
Out of the office!
11,156 Posts
Brian, I don't know why did I not think of you for this project? You are perfect for getting this done and done right! I must be slipping a bit. This is probably the best photo that I can come up with but I can photograph my 'metric' speedo and provide dimensions or as you often prefer, I can send it to you!

View attachment 1560764

You've probably read the thread but we could use a clear plastic film type speedometer overlay with Imperial measurements on the inner ring in yellow. Similar to Dom's photo above but the metric speedo lacks any inner MPH indicators as necessary. I can do the mental calculation pretty fast but it is usually done just after I pass a cop!

Mark
How would the overlay attach to the speedometer? Anything that is peal and stick would show and look fairly ugly.

The face of the speedometer looks to be 3D. Is it one piece or two pieces?

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
As I understand, the speedometer overlay was printed on a piece of thick 'static cling' type plastic. I have not actually seen one but understand that John Justice has a NOS overlay and that Delmas Greene is using one on one of his two Montreal's. I'll request a photograph.

I made an overlay on a piece of static cling material with a Sharpie. It was fugly and hard to see. One day I peeled it off and threw it away; I kind of regret doing that now.

The inner ring on the speedometer face is 'stepped down' or "3-D" as you say.

Mark

·
Out of the office!
11,156 Posts
As I understand, the speedometer overlay was printed on a piece of thick 'static cling' type plastic. I have not actually seen one but understand that John Justice has a NOS overlay and that Delmas Greene is using one on one of his two Montreal's. I'll request a photograph.

I made an overlay on a piece of static cling material with a Sharpie. It was fugly and hard to see. One day I peeled it off and threw it away; I kind of regret doing that now.

The inner ring on the speedometer face is 'stepped down' or "3-D" as you say.

Mark
If a static cling is what you want, we can make that happen. Do they actually cling to plastic? The printer I use can print on static cling. I'll have to approach them for a sample to see how it sticks.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Brian, that sounds great! The photo Dom showed in post #27 shows a metric speedometer with Imperial units on the inside ring. I didn't realize it at the time he posted the photo but this must be a modified unit. It either has been re-printed or has an overlay.

I just followed the link provided to see if the speedometer had been modified and if the modification was described or not and realized on the speedometer Dom posted -the link was for a very nice looking Montreal that was for sale.

There was another speedometer photo in the link -that makes me think this has an overlay applied to the speedometer plastic screen cover. I can't tell if it was applied inside or outside the clear plastic screen but outside would be much easier to apply.

1972_Alfa_Romeo_Montreal_0052.jpg

This is functional but not quite as aesthetically pleasing as the above speedometer modification.

monti speedo.jpg

Mark

·
Out of the office!
11,156 Posts

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Brian, I'd be happy to test a piece of the film on my speedometer. The one I made from a screen protector stuck without issue but had some bubbles...

That line on the bottom will help with alignment but it also goes up and around the gauge with hash marks and numbers around the gauge face. I think it would be helpful to print the above using yellow ink.

If you use the numbers as shown below, no " /hrx10" would be needed.

1972_Alfa_Romeo_Montreal_0052 (2).jpg

Mark

21 - 40 of 56 Posts