Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone else already done a USA (Imperial) Spec speedometer face for the Montreal? Was one ever available from Alfa ?
It would be nice if we could have a 'group buy' of speedometer faces done for the Montreal. They are relatively easy to change and would be nice to have; well, if I could get the new speedometer sending unit plugged into the back of the ZF transmission...does anyone have experience doing this kind of work? I suspect it would require fairly precise plastic cutting equipment and silk screening for the numbers but nothing too sophisticated.

Mark

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Montreal Speedometer Face

Mark,

I recall someone in your neck of the woods making up a clear vinyl overlay printed with the imperial scale that would leave the stock metric scale visible. Might have been Delmas Greene? This was 5 or 6 years ago, and I believe there was a post on the Bruce Taylor website offering them. I never followed up because I had cobbled together some vinyl numbers locally, but perhaps that effort can be resurrected.

·
Push hard and live
9,977 Posts
Mark,

You can count me in, unless there is a shocking cost. Merely eyebrow raising is OK.

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
KPH times 6, drop the zero. That's how fast I know I'm going. It's off a little but not much.

·
Push hard and live
9,977 Posts
Yeah, I use the multiple as well, but given the relative ease of changing the faces, I wouldn't mind making it a little less distracting. Plus, I need to do some calibrating, I think. When I'm passing cars thru Washoe Valley where everyone is always doing 75 - 85, my speedo usually says 110 - 115. I'd hate to get a ticket cuz of speedo inaccuracy.

·
Push hard and live
9,977 Posts
Yeah, but the Brits use leagues, or furlongs, or something. Maybe rods.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi I am a Brit Monty owner. The original speedo calibration is very accurate. I fitted a mph speedo to my lhd car. However nighttime driving is hopeless. Now with all the cameras and speed traps I have resorted to using a tomtom satnav. Essential for nighttime and you can change from mph to kph quite easily, but no furlongs! Not original I know but I no longer worry about speeding and enjoy the driving experience. Not sure on the US laws regarding speed detectors though.

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
That would put Sheriff Bufford T. Justice out of work, if we used cameras.

·
Push hard and live
9,977 Posts
There are no such things as "US laws regarding speed detectors". We have various state laws, however. I believe, given the recent entertainment provided by Mr. Snowden, that the public taste will be significantly reduced for more cameras observing us night and day. Well, except in weird places like California, Massachusetts, New York, etc. Here in Nevada, I can be on a very straight, flat stretch of highway doing 100+ within 5 minutes of leaving the house. On rare occasion this could result in a ticket, but there are no cameras. One must tune up the Italian engines from time to time.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The RHD Montréal’s must have had Imperial instruments.
In looking through 'M-tEC' there are several shots of speedometers in both Right Hand Drive Montréal’s (p. 28) and LHD cars (pgs. 38, 39 & 37). All of them appear to have the Km/hour X 10 speedo faces. I have yet to see a Montreal with MPH speedo face. Would you post a photo if possible?
Mark

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi I have attached a pic of my MPH speedo on my 71 LHD Montreal.
Thanks Rob, now that I see your 'MPH' speedo I realize that it is identical to the one shown on page 28 in M-tEC! It is not at all what I am used to looking at. The interesting thing is that your speedo face not only has MPH but it also had Km/Hour on the inside. Now why did Alfa not just use that speedo face on all of their gauges? It would have made sense to me.

I did get a reply from Delmas Greene regarding the speedometer face 'clear vinyl overlay' and he does have one that he is using on one of his Montreal's. When there is more information available, it will be posted here.
Mark

·
Push hard and live
9,977 Posts
Hmmm. I need to go look at my gauge. I wonder if the KPH and MPH are completely different instruments, or whether it is just the inner and outer "faces" that are different.

If the physical layout is the same, perhaps a yellow-character overlay could be made for the INNER face so that we end up with essentially a mirror image of the above MPH on the outer and KPH on the inner? I'm not interested in having an overlay stuck to outer face of the clear plastic lens. Yuck.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi, I can check this also as I have the kmh speedo I removed. I will say though as a tall driver I do find the instrument visibility useless even during daylight. Another reason for using a satnav. One of the most annoying features for me is the large tail on the needle which obscures your miles travelled counter whilst driving. Sounds trivial but when you are munching up the miles/Kms across Europe whilst travelling to the various international meetings it's a useful guide for tank refills rather than the low fuel indicator. The Monty doesn't like to be pushed on fumes which can be bad news for the fuel pumps.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did get a reply from Delmas Greene regarding the speedometer face 'clear vinyl overlay' and he does have one that he is using on one of his Montreal's. When there is more information available, it will be posted here.
Mark
So far I have asked who had the vinyl overlays made up in hopes of getting a copy or two. I suspect that once installed they are virtually invisible. John J. is looking into having some copies of an unused one made up and he hopes to know something in a couple of weeks. I suspect that the Km/H face could be silk screened over with MPH like Don suggested; having the photo that Rob submitted will help!

Mark

·
Push hard and live
9,977 Posts
different drive gears for Speedo?

It may be that the original KPH and MPH speedos used different drive gears, but I tend to doubt that. Regardless, this initiative seems to be focused on adapting what we have with the least invasive and costly solution. Thus, an MPH sticker or inner face that simply matched up the equivalent MPH to its corresponding KPH location would not require a different drive gear. I would have thought this would have been Alfa's approach as well, as a different inner marked plate would have been less costly than two different drive gear sets.

The gears that drive the odometers will be different.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The speedo drive gears in the gearbox are selected according to the rear axle ratio to give 1000 revs per km = 1600 revs per mile; at the other end of the cable the worm gear in the speedo either spins the odometer unit wheel one turn every 1000 revs for a km speedo or every 1600 revs for a miles speedo. The speed pointer doesn't care whether it's miles or km.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I have the same Miles Per Hour face on my RHD Montreal which came out of Australia. They released the car with a MPH speedo even though Australia had already adopted the Metric System and everything, road signs, etc., had gone to kilometers. They must have made the RHD Jaeger instruments for the UK market, which is the only place still using Miles. Of the 105 odd RHD cars built, about 70 of them went to Australia. This was what I got from Alfa Romeo (Australia), the head office was in Sydney. Some more useless information..!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts