Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
yes, you must take it out from the botom
and you must lift the engine driver's side a bit, but you will have to unbolt the silent bloc (driver side only) and maybe exhaust tube from the manifold

·
Registered
5 Posts
and you must lift the engine driver's side a bit, but you will have to unbolt the silent bloc (driver side only) and maybe exhaust tube from the manifold

View attachment 1630995

View attachment 1630996
Thanks for the quick response.
I tried to lift the engine left side with the engine mount bolts off but the whole car goes up instead. Not sure why.
I ll try again tomorrow

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you very much.
The car was sitting on its wheels so when I was lifting the engine, the whole car would rise.
So, I jacked up the car, then lifted the engine, and it worked great. The box is out, and now the hard work starts. Netx step is separating the pitman arm which has so far defied all efforts.

View attachment 1630995

View attachment 1630996

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
While it may be expensive to ship, I strongly recommend Larry Dickman at Alfa Parts Exchange in CA. He rebuilt my box for a few hundred, if I recall, and he did an outstanding job!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
There is a Burman steering box sticky on rebuilding these. Excellent thread by GPRocket. Read it here, it’s a step by step rebuild. Very easy to do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
thank you all for the help.
The arm has now been separated from the box. I will attempt the rebuild myself.
If I run into issues I will contact Larry at APE. I used to live in the US in a previous life, and I know the shop.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Overhauling the steering box is not very difficult if the box itself is not cracked (Burman case sickness of Giulia and Montreal) and the balls and internal parts not too damaged , you just have to be very careful, Identify the number and place of the spacers and do not lose balls...
The O-rings and balls are easily found, the paper seals are are easy to redo
but be careful, all nuts and bolts are UNF (not metric)

in case... new boxes are available, the best in my opinion is from Alfaholics, machined from a very high strength aerospace grade aluminium : Montreal LHD Steering Box Case

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you all for the assistance. I am moving ahead with rebuilding my own box. I will be machining the brass sleeve and a new ring for the top plate. Does anyone know how tightly these two components must fit on the main shaft? Should there be any rocking motion of the shaft with respect to the brass sleeve, when the shaft is in the box but no other components are installed? Currently the head of the shaft moves about 1 mm side to side when rocking it in the box. How about between the top plate ring and the shaft head, again without any other component interfering?
thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi all,
I am about to strip a ZF steering box (RHD), I have searched for a thread but can't find one. Anybody any advice? And does anyone know if parts are still available and from where. Thanks.
Regards Geoff

·
Registered
52 Posts
The rare RHD ZF steering box does not suffer from the same illness as Burman LHD box, it is not documented by alfa romeo (at least I don’t know any) and and you probably won’t find any tutorial
for the Burman, the O-rings and balls are easily found, the paper seals are are easy to redo ...I think it will be the same for the ZF...

·
Registered
122 Posts
AJMA11
Thanks, that is the way I am thinking, I am just a little worried about finding a damaged seal or other part that is now obsolete.

·
Registered
52 Posts
as long as you have the exact dimensions of what you need : O-rings, spi seals, balls, roller bearing ... you can find them on the net (for mine everything was found there 123Roulement - Vous cherchez, nous trouvons ! and fit perfectly), paper gaskets were cut into sheets of different thicknesses...
any other part is specific and probably not to be found but they are sometimes repairable (in UK you have lots of skilled craftsmen who can repair or remanufacture old car parts...),
and maybe Alfaholics can help you even if their beautyfull box is only for Burman LHD replacement

·
Registered
122 Posts
Again thanks for your help.
The box is removed and the pitman arm is off ( position marked) the feel of the box is good and I don't think there is much wrong with it. The reason I am thinking of dismantling is there were oil drops on the bottom, so I thought it a good idea to replace the oil seals. I have tried to get the numbers of them but are difficult to make out. From what I can see they are 28-38-7 and 18-30-7 which seem to be a bit of an odd size but I am yet to do a search for them. I am a reluctant to take apart until I know I can get these seals. I will check out your suggestions and report back.
Regards Geoff

·
Registered
52 Posts
this picture may help you,
older LHD Burman box (there was a newer version with a spi seal at the base of the case instead of the O-ring #22),
ZF box may not be very different

ARM légende éclaté Burman.jpg

·
Registered
122 Posts
this picture may help you,
older LHD Burman box (there was a newer version with a spi seal at the base of the case instead of the O-ring #22),
ZF box may not be very different

View attachment 1632615
I have just finished renovating my ZF steering box fitted to RHD, and indeed the seal sizes I mentioned in an earlier post are correct. The seals in these boxes can be changed without stripping the box but you do have to remove the box from the car and also take off the pitman arm.
The box seems to be simpler than the Burman box and not at all difficult. hope this helps someone.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts