Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
All, I posted a question to this thread:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/195427-steering-box-removal.html

It had a lot of good info for Burman box removal for Spiders. I need a little help on the Montreal box removal.

Question is:

Thanks to all who have posted. This has been very helpful. I have a Montreal and the mounting a little bit different. I have the box loos from its mountings to the wheel well as well as the through bolts at the firewall grommet. Now I am having a hard time removing the steering column (spline) from the box itself. It does not want to pull off and I am not sure best way to separate the two....don;t want to break anything. Any thoughts? Thanks, JP

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hi JP, during my restoration two things were very hard to remove, one was the steering box and another one the steering wheel. As you can see the connection is less than an inch so once you remove the screw put some M3 oil and let it work for a day. Then, try to remove softly. Remember the box cast is very soft and breaks easily. In my case I hit gently with a soft wood from the upper side (4 screws metal closure) and with the 3 box to chassis bolts out. The box weight helps it disengage from the axle, falling down.
But this process took a week or so. I did not tryed to remove the metal plate with the 4 screws releasing the entire internal part because at the time I had not a complete understanding of all the internal box functions to reassemble back later. In fact, once I open the box later I had a worst time reassembling all parts again.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Ed. This helps a lot! I am sending the box off to be rebuilt by Larry at APE...I am sure he can do a better job putting all the pieces back together than I ever could. This is a really hard job.

You did not have to remove your steering wheel to get the box off did you?

JP

·
Registered
468 Posts
You did not have to remove your steering wheel to get the box off did you?

JP

we had no reason to take off the steering wheel, was not necessary...

Always good to use very good grease to fix the 54 balls at reassembling! If ONE is lost, it is not easy to find the right one with same size and weight/quality. After I lost one from table (fast beast run quick in deepest hole in wall...) we bought a new original NOS set. :001_unsure:

Good luck
Hannelore

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Hannelore. Also, loved your Christmas Card ot the BB on Christmas...very nice!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Thanks, Hannelore. Also, loved your Christmas Card ot the BB on Christmas...very nice!
this year my tree is a bit crazy decorated: Alfa balls in red I own since 15 years and keep 1000 eyes on their shape! F1 cars, Alfa 6C + Matta cars... Handbags, high heels, cats all over and my other funny balls who are collected over the years. Must be the age now to change to modern style ? :geek: :geek: :geek:
Strange what for christmas balls else to find on Ebay - but NO Alfa Romeo's.

Some years ago an Alfa dealer had a big tree full decorated with Golden Lodge for Montis - I had to hide my hands very deep in pockets.
Ciao ciao

·
Registered
409 Posts
Montreal Steering box removal

JP, I had to remove the steering wheel for complete restoration. It took me a month and finally I gave up and cut it out. No, it´s not necessary to remove it in order to release the box. Good idea to send it out because the internal it´s a swiss clock. With the box in the bench I opened and immediately lost some of the balls in the garage. As Hannelore pointed out, NOS balls are very hard to find. In my case, I send out to my Alfa mechanic and at first he thought was an easy task some balls were missing and we started looking for the exact diameter (1,71 mm?) but after 6 months, no luck. Still on the wishing list of the reconstruction.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Ed. Glad ot have confirmation that sending it out is not a bad idea!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Ola Edgar,

patience... ! :balloon:

Fact is half Germany is not working 2 weeks arround Christmas and New Year! pfff
But at 5th jan starting I will take my phone and call arround to the company where I got our balls.

If anybody else here is interested in a set of 50 (I must take allways 100) and you have left some of your old balls to complete the 54-set, let me know. So I can ask price for a bigger amount of maybe 3-400 or more.

Would be nice if people can send message in next 10 days for further efforts.
Grande abracos !
Hannelore

·
Registered
409 Posts
MOntreal Steering Box Removal

Hi Hannelore! Really appreciate your Christmas card and message! Thank you! I have checked with the local SKF and Thyssen distributors w/o any success. They all have high quality balls, not with the correct size. Of course several distributors around offering low quality low price no brand products. We have a smal Monti community down here - just 4 cars complete and running and of course mine which is under reconstruction. So, you should consider 5 cars in total. I can handle the purchase order for them. I don´t know the other SA countries but I think more 5 or 8 cars in total. That´s it! Maybe you should start a new thread under the name "Burman Steering Box Balls".
Rgds!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Edgar,
you are right, when I know more about new ball-sets I will open new topic...

I hope, monday Germany will be back to normal and work with new 2015-power ! :batman:

Hannelore

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thanks Hans2!

Hannelore, my old ball set is 7mm in diameter. I am not sure if this is the original diameter.

Regards.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Thanks Hans2!

Hannelore, my old ball set is 7mm in diameter. I am not sure if this is the original diameter.

Regards.
Edgar,

I gave my original balls for ordered sets to company where I got the new ones for measurements: a few µ difference. I called vendor today, he will call back next week, when he got infos from manufacturer. I let you know.

If we don't talk anymore this year I wish you and all here a good "slide" into the next year with best wishes for your health !!

Cheeeeers - Hannelore

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All,

First of all, Happy New Year to everyone!

Second, I wanted to "close out" my steering box removal. Thanks to all the help and guidance. Once formula I must remember is:

Oil + Time = Parts Coming Off

Once I got the box off and cleaned it, I needed to check for cracks at the mounting ears. To do that, I used dye penetrant (I attached a pic of the cleaner, penetrant and developer). Most places like Grainger carries it and you can order off Amazon as well.

Process is really simple:

1. Clean box
2. Get in a well-ventilated area
3. Spray cleaner solvent on box, wipe off dirt/grime then let dry
4. Spray penetrant over area to be inspected. Be careful, this stuff expands/splatters like over cleaner. A little goes a long way
5. Let penetrant soak for 15-30 min
6. Put cleaner solvent on rag and wipe off excess. Do not spray cleaner on area to be inspected as it will skew the results
7. Spray film of developer over area and wait about 15-20 minutes
8. If there is a crack, you would see a pink/red indication along the crack line. From my pix, there is not crack so the mounting ears are good.
9. Once inspection is complete, spray down box with cleaner solvent and get nice and clean

I hope this helps.

JP

Attachments

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hi JP, i am glad the box came out. Thanks for the dry crack founder process. Maybe will need it in the engine heads. In order to avoid future cracks once installed back, a good thing is to install the reinforcement plate and to keep the original end of steering limiting bolts, left and right sides.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ed, Thanks! Is that plate commercially available? Could have one fabricated I suppose.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Perfect! Thank you!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts