Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for other Alfas (or other brands) that used the side indicators in the attached picture. For some reason, my Montreal has rectangular ones and I would like to replace them with the more correct ones.

Any suggestions are helpful.

Thanks, JP

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
9,582 Posts
JP

Both the round and rectangular may be correct. It may be a matter of what year and for which country.

Mine are round like in your picture, also sourced from Classic Alfa.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to you both for the replies. I did see one pic in Bruce's book that had rectangular lights.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
there are quite a lot of photos on the web (google images) of Montreals in the US with the rectangular orange front side repeaters that also have rectangular red rear side repeaters (or reflectors only perhaps?)....was this a requirement perhaps in some States?
Certainly never seen it in europe. Mine had the little round ones.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
JP, your car was most likely brought into the USA while the importation standards were still in effect. For about the first 25 years after the cars construction it was required to be 'Federalized' or to have certain safety features before it could be legally imported to the USA. I believe this included front and rear reflective side marker lights, door crash resistant beams (inside the doors), emergency (flasher) lights and an exterior rear view mirror, among possible other requirements. The Montreal came with several features that met the US requirements, such as head rests, also, exhaust gas recirculation and fuel tank evaporative controls that Bruce 'MontreAlmighty' says were not required in Europe at the time, which led to speculation that the Montreal was built with the intention that it would be exported by Alfa Romeo to the USA but that never happened.

I see a lot of Montréal’s with the reflective side marker lights, including the one on the inside cover of Bruce’s book, M-tEC. Since your car has been federalized, it is a tough call to say which lights are ‘correct.’ The reflectors are probably safer for night driving or parking situations, the Euro repeater lights are less distracting from the car design and some cars in M-tEC have no “repeater” lights at all. You may have received paperwork with your purchase certifying that your car met the USA standards when it was imported. Since the Montreal is basically 40 years old now, they are no longer required to meet those old Federal requirements to be imported into this country, so you can keep it ‘as is’ or ‘modify it back to stock’.

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mark, Very helpful and the federalization makes sense. 'Unfortunately, the PO did not have his documentation from other POs so I know when it was built and what dealer it was first sold to in Rome. Ownership history picks up with the person I bought it from. He bought it in 2002.

I like the euro look so will most likely go back to that.

Thanks to everyone for their helpful answers!

JP

·
Premium Member
1972 Montreal. 2019 Giulia ti Sport
1,544 Posts
Check the mounting area

You may find that there are extra holes in the fenders for mounting of the rectangular side lights. My Monty has one large hole for the light socket, and two smaller holes on either side of the larger hole where the mounting screws fit on each of the fenders.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts