Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AlfaBB friends,

Would anyone have the specs of lift/duration/etc. for both the "standard" Montreal cams as well as the specs for the cams in an "S" engine Montreal?

Thanks, JP

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
I don't know if there are two different specifications for cams in the engine. I suspect that Richard Jemison would know since he has designed special cams for the Montreal engine.

Bruce Taylors site says that there are different cam profiles in the Spica for the early and later "S" engines.
"The 105.55.04.030.00 Spica injector pumps were also replaced with a new model (105.64.04.030.00) having a different cam profile. The later pumps have a red or yellow dot on the upper part and are stamped with the letter 'A' at the control unit end of the pump section. "

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mark, definitely appreciate the fast reply. Richard put my engine together and only made a soft mod to the cams, I have that spec. I had to buy a used set of cams out of Spain years ago before the engine rebuild as the car's cams were eaten up and disposed of years before I bought it and believe them to be S cams.....long story involving cam failure of the SPICA drive cam, getting a new cam out of Europe, etc.....

·
Push hard and live
10,922 Posts
I don’t think there is any difference between the early non-S engines and later S, except pump and distributor.

Webcam, who Richard uses, has a profile for the Montreal that’s very close to the original. I used them on the Full Monty. Worked fine.

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Webcam modified mine to Richard's specs. This replacement cam is of a different profile to the other three and supplier indicates that is a stock one so we are trying to figure out what differences are to explain the cams I have, beyond Richard's mods.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I thought that the only place where the "S" appeared was on the Distributor. Don't believe there was a "S" Engine for the Montreal...? If there was a "S" engine, what else was different...? Modifying a Camshaft Lobe Profile and running it with a "S" Distributor does not make it a "S" engine. At least not from the Alfa factory, correct me if I am wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I have no evidence that there was a separate cam profile. Was just asking because what I have is not "standard" Monty spec cams. These cams were bought by me used out of Europe so maybe a special profile?

Thanks to everyone for all the help!

JP

·
Registered
199 Posts
It seems like there are TWO different discussions going on here. One about the CAMSHAFTS that open and close the valves and one about the CAMSHAFT in the Injection Pump.

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am only asking about the engine camshafts.....

·
Push hard and live
10,922 Posts
The four engine camshafts all have the same profile. Not one being different from the other three.

The difference in the Webcam profile and original is next to nothing. I looked at the details when I had the work done, and, as explained to me, the only significant difference is in the opening and closing ramps. I was told the Webcam approach allows a thinner “lash” than original. IIRC, the Webcam spec is .011” intake and .012” exhaust.

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts