Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went and looked at the $8500 Montreal that's on Ebay/Craigslist LA/BaT today. Although it needs a complete restoration, it appears to be all there and saveable. It got me to thinking about what it would actually take to restore and run one.

Has anyone here done a DIY resto on a Montreal? How available are parts? What are the thongs to look out for?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Supergenius,

I also have the Montreal bug and was lucky enough to find a very nice and well kept exampled, which I am now in the process of getting acquainted with. Unfortunately, it is still very much winter here, and it will be a few weeks before I am able to get it on the road.

Bruce Taylor is probably the world’s leading authority on Montreals, and his book “Alfa Romeo Montreal – The Essential Companion”, which is available on Amazon, is an absolute must for the Montreal owner or aspiring owner. It has everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING, which you need to know for the proper inspection, care and feeding of a Montreal. Bruce also maintains a website at The Alfa Romeo Montreal Website , and a forum at alfamontreal : Alfa Romeo Montreal, which you should join. The Montreal community is small, but seems both helpful and tightly knit and I’m sure that you will get the input and help which you need there. Many in the community seem to have cottage industries for the manufacture of hard to find replacement parts.

I also saw the car on BAT, and while it looks pretty rough, I also thought that it looked surprisingly complete, with all of the really hard to source stuff like exterior trim and interior pieces all there. I suspect that while not for the beginner or the faint of heart (or pocketbook!), the BAT car is restorable by an enthusiast with sufficient skill, patience, and the willingness to do what will likely be a good amount of body work down to bare metal. I have my doubts as to whether such an undertaking will ever be economical, but this is a hobby governed by emotion, not by sound financial principles.

Let us all know whether you buy the car, and if so, keep us apprised of the project!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I went and looked at the $8500 Montreal that's on Ebay/Craigslist LA/BaT today. Although it needs a complete restoration, it appears to be all there and saveable. It got me to thinking about what it would actually take to restore and run one.

Has anyone here done a DIY resto on a Montreal? How available are parts? What are the thongs to look out for?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
In all honesty, you are better off staying away from any Montreal that needs extensive body work.. Unless you are very experienced yourself. I don't know if that car has any rust under the body panels. I estimate the body and interior with a proper paint job will be at least 25 k, prob more.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Montreal is desireable car still, but personally I would buy one in such a condition that it could be used some years before a major overhaul.

However some buy cars in bad condition ot overhaul themselves, and then sell expensive. Different way of thinking. If one cannot do the heavy work, its better to buy in good condition.
Anyway here is a link to a Montreal overhaul in Sweden. Showing a lot of operations. Using translate button helps for those who dont understand swedish :)

AlfaPower - Projekt Alfa Romeo Montreal Pro Touring. - Powered by XMB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts