Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The oil lines on my car are cracked and looking quite spent. Obvious options are 1) restore.....2) purchase new repro ...3) purchase good used ones.

I've always attempted option 1) but I'm not having luck finding on-line sources for the fittings. I would have to remove and re-plate these....then take them to a hydraulic hose shop and have new hoses fitted.

Option 2) I would consider provided the quality is there.

Option 3) can be iffy...never really sure my definition of "good used ones" is shared by those wanting to sell what they have.

Looking for experiences/advice from those who've tackled these in the past.

·
Push hard and live
9,657 Posts
Skip used. Rubber ages as a function of calendar as much as by heat and use.

Send them to Larry Dickman jr at APE in Tracy, CA. He’ll send them back fresh and pretty.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...Or splurge and go for the Alfaholics braided stainless lines.....
True enough. AMS have new repro as well and more in line with the OE.

Has anyone attempted to rebuild these on their own?

·
Push hard and live
9,657 Posts
I rebuild hydraulic and fuel lines all the time. Only reason I sent mine to Larry was that he already had the tools and hose in that size. Saving a little on labor would have required spending more on tools and supplies.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I rebuild hydraulic and fuel lines all the time. Only reason I sent mine to Larry was that he already had the tools and hose in that size. Saving a little on labor would have required spending more on tools and supplies.
Thanks for the suggestion. Did Larry replate the fittings? Mine are also rusted in spots and I wouldn't fit new hose material onto rusted parts.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AFRA has the oil lines available Cooling
Cooling
Those look even better since the end fittings seem to have the same angles to them as the originals. It's been years since I last bought anything from AFRA....looks like I need to check in on them more often now.

·
Push hard and live
9,657 Posts
Larry will replated if you wish.

I’ve gotten to where I use AFRA as a last resort. For instance, they had in stock the aluminum threaded plugs that seal the ends of Montreal camshafts. As their original mission was holding old, obsolete dealer inventory in a central location, I would worry that their Montreal oil hoses were exactly that... old, obsolescent inventory.

We generally consider dry-stored rubber products to be unusable after seven years,

·
Registered
118 Posts
Larry will replated if you wish.

I’ve gotten to where I use AFRA as a last resort. For instance, they had in stock the aluminum threaded plugs that seal the ends of Montreal camshafts. As their original mission was holding old, obsolete dealer inventory in a central location, I would worry that their Montreal oil hoses were exactly that... old, obsolescent inventory.

We generally consider dry-stored rubber products to be unusable after seven years,
The Oil lines from AFRA are new manufacturer, I picked up a set and they look just like the photograph in the ad,

Larry at Alfa Parts Exchange can replate your original fittings and replace the hose also as a option.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies DPeterson3 and mtbjeff....TBH...I haven't had a whole lot of luck getting a response back from Larry when I contacted him the past about other parts I was looking for...could have been just a busy time for him maybe. I'm leaning towards placing the order with AFRA for new lines.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
The oil lines on my car are cracked and looking quite spent. Obvious options are 1) restore.....2) purchase new repro ...3) purchase good used ones.

I've always attempted option 1) but I'm not having luck finding on-line sources for the fittings. I would have to remove and re-plate these....then take them to a hydraulic hose shop and have new hoses fitted.

Option 2) I would consider provided the quality is there.

Option 3) can be iffy...never really sure my definition of "good used ones" is shared by those wanting to sell what they have.

Looking for experiences/advice from those who've tackled these in the past.

View attachment 1615455
Ross, I think you can find someone local to remake those hoses with your fittings that you can replate yourself first. This is not an unusual problem for those and fittings shops. Think Parker, Aeroquip for example.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The cuff sleeves on all the fittings are not swaged and rotate quite easily. They seem to be more of a cosmetic item...perhaps to just finish the end on the hoses in a neater fashion. One of the lines is a scavange line to the delivery pump....so line pressures on this is low. The other line delivers oil from the pick-up pump to the cooler. There is no PRV on that line so pressures won't be anywhere near the max oil pressure. Looks like to me that these hoses don't see high pressures at all ....the hoses can be pushed on the barbed fittings without the need to for swaged cuff sleeves. I'll give this a try first.....if unsuccessful.....I know new ones are available.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just be careful cutting the old hose off, if your going to replate the oil fittings use clear zinc with no blueing added to the plating process. Most plating shops today add a blueing to improve the durability of the part. Clear or silver Zinc Plating in the late sixties and early 1970’s had no blueing and only used plane zinc. The plane zinc finish is duller then the bright silver/blue plating used today.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
These fittings have a yellow/green finish indicating to me that they received a yellow dichromate dip. Yes the dichromate protects the zinc ..I see no reason not to dichromate after plating. What is the reason you suggest not to?

IMG_5554.JPG ..

·
Registered
118 Posts
These fittings have a yellow/green finish indicating to me that they received a yellow dichromate dip. Yes the dichromate protects the zinc ..I see no reason not to dichromate after plating. What is the reason you suggest not to?

View attachment 1616084 ..
My 1971 fittings were plain silver zinc with no color dichromate on them, the only reason would be to keep the original looking finish for appearance.

Your fittings certainly have a additional coating on them.

I’m sure Alfa Romeo went through different suppliers or batches of parts during production of the hoses.

·
Richard Jemison
7,394 Posts
Since these hose ends are "non-standard" here in the USA, Any of these hose fittings can be cut off to retain the coupling / threaded end and welded to a Aeroquip/AN (Army/Navy) or other AN brand fitting to use stainless braided hose.
Suppliers that build true high pressure hose like Rubber Specialties and others do this type work commonly.
That`s how I converted all my hoses on the Montreal engine to Aeroquip.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My 1971 fittings were plain silver zinc with no color dichromate on them, the only reason would be to keep the original looking finish for appearance.
.....I’m sure Alfa Romeo went through different suppliers or batches of parts during production of the hoses.
Quite possile yes. Unless one is the original owner of the car.....who knows what has been basterdized over the years by PO's. For example...the brake fluid reservoir on this car is a Bonaldi but the M/C is an ATE. According to the factory parts Manuals....the early cars were fitted with ATE assemblies but the later cars with Bonaldi assemblies.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I sent my old Oil Hoses to Larry Dickman of APE. He did a great job and returned them. I believe the cost was also reasonable. Like a few other people here, that would be my suggestion.

Having come from an automotive industry background, I know that a OEM like Alfa Romeo or any other OEM always has more than 1 Supplier. Sometimes it's a capacity issue, sometimes it's a local country issue where the company is trying to increase Local Content in their cars to offset Import Tariffs.

Karl Robertson.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the feedback gents. I touched bases with a hydraulic shop called Fluidine (who happen to have a location in town). I'm bringing my replated fittings to them...they think they may have sleeves that will fit the existing fittings.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts