Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day

I am in the prosess of rebuilding the zf Lsd.
The diff is marked 4061 004.

Anyone have a good source for clutch disc and other internal parts for the diff?
I have a problem with to much play at the wheels, outer bearing is good, but there
is play in the spider gears when you rock the wheel and a Clunk when you release the clutch pedal

I have measured the clutch pack height to the outer casing with is about 0,1 to 0,15 mm, which seems Ok.
Spider gear height/clerance is about 0,8mm to the casing which may be to much.? The outer oil ring/trust washer is 1,75mm thick, anyone know
if this is OK ?

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
I have a selection of new old stock 105.64 LSD parts, please send me a private message with your email address so that I can send you the list, and some photos.

Many thanks,

Alex.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I use Alfa Romeo 75 / GTA / Spider Good price and a quality product. I have rebuilt a few diffs over the years for fellow Alfa owners using the above and have had no issues. They have a more modern coating which lasts longer and providing you build it with the required clearance so to not preload the diff it will be just great around town; but put the power down and it will lock up as it's supposed to.

Your clutch pack height seems to me, I'm happy with anything between 0.15mm to 0.25mm.

The outer oil-ring/thrust washer will have been measured from factory to provide just enough clearance for the side gears so not to bind; but 0.8mm does sound excessive and perhaps the cause of the "clunking". How did you measure this? I used plastiguage (and leave the clutch plates out so not to interfere) as I can't get a feeler gauge in to measure and be 100%. You don't want any more than 0.2mm in my opinion, and I just cut some shim stock to fit behind these thrust washers when needed to get the correct clearance.

Regards
Phil.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Friction plates can also be found at a UK engineering company called Drive and Traction - the website is basic but I believe they supply many other companies.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got hold off som better measuring tools and did some new measures

The clutch pack sits 3.0mm below top deck of the lsd housing.
The inner circle of the lsd cover is 2.97mm above the top deck, so that gives me
a space of just 0,03mm between top cover and clutch pack.
If i press down hard on top of the clutch pack, the space between clutch pack and top deck goes up to 3.05mm
which gives me a clutch/cover spacing of 0,08mm, which still is a bit low I think.

I have these rings/clutch discs in there now : Outer 2.1mm, Outer 2.0mm, Inner 2.0mm, Outer 2.0mm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I measured the side gears.

If i remove the clutch packs and just have the gears and the pressure rings in the casing,
the outer side gear is 2,9mm below the top deck of the lsd casing.

The oil ring in the top cover is 0,58mm above the lsd casing lid so that gives me a play off 2,3mm between the
side gear and oil ring, which seems massive.

Funny thing is that if i put in the clutch pack in the bottom and measure the side gear/lsd casing cleareance the side gear is now
only 0,96 mm below the casing. So the inner clutch pack lifts the sidegear off the inner oil/thrust ring.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see I have som damage on the inner sidegear . If you look at the picture the surface that rides on the inner oil ring
har been somewhat grinded down , the top side gear surface looks ok

·
Richard Jemison
7,990 Posts
You should replace that side gear and the thrust washer. All the internals of this are the same as the 115 LSDs and 119 LSDs. OTHER than the angles on the thrust plates. (wider on the Montreal)
Commonly the "clutch plates can be media blasted and re-used. the stack assembly is managed by the floater plates and finished assembly should have about >010" (.25mm) to function correctly.
NEVER PRELOADED!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts