Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alfisti,

I am willing to help get a Montreal area Alfa club going. I have lots of experience with Alfas and organizing, creating and running Alfa clubs. In Montreal, we have several Alfa owners who are involved with either the VEA (Vintage European Automobiles), one of the FIAT clubs, or other clubs. But I believe it's time for an Alfa specific club here.

To make this happen, we need to get the word out first to all local Alfa owners. If you think my idea has merit, please help me do that.

Here's a plan which has worked for many other Alfa clubs. Please give me some feedback to see if the plan will work for you:

1. We will hold one supper meeting each month. These meetings will be of an informal nature and will be held at alternating locations on the island, usually in a family-style reasonably-priced Italian restaurant. Spouses, guests and children are encouraged to attend. The 'official' meeting will start after dinner, at around 8PM and should take no more than 30 minutes. In the meeting, we will pass a bit of Alfa and club news, discuss upcoming Alfa Club events and a bit of club business. Sometimes we could have a short presentation given by a special guest, covering a subject like collector-car insurance, a great technical tip, or a bit of Alfa history. These would be limited to about ten minutes so that we do not make our spouses, friends and children hate us. Following the meeting, if folks bring their cars, we can have a bit of additional conversation in the parking lot.

2. In order to make the club experience fun, we will try and hold as many Alfa-related events during the 'Alfa season' as we can. These events could include driving tours, gimmick rallies & treasure hunts, show and shines (either with other clubs or Alfa only), autocross (slalom) or track events (performance driving schools, etc.), technical sessions (changing the brakes on an Alfa Spider forexample), social events like a holiday party, watching a Formula One race on a TV over breakfast at a restaurant, attending a 'Cars & Coffee' or the weekly 'Euro-Tuesday' at the Orange Julep, etc. Basically, the events can be anything club members would like to do.

3. We will also put out a short monthly newsletter and perhaps have a facebook page and/or a small website so that other Alfisti can hear more about us and join us if they are in the area.

4. I believe we should also become a chapter of the Alfa Romeo Club of Canada and sometimes we should attend some of the Ottawa and even Toronto events when/ if we can.

5. We should also have close ties with other local clubs so that we can participate in some of their great events.

Please let me know your thoughts!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Alex your back in Canada ? I would definately be interested in getting involved with a local Alfa chapterand will put out the word that you're attempting this albeit the local (Knowlton) Alfa pool is pretty shallow !

Murray

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alex your back in Canada ? I would definately be interested in getting involved with a local Alfa chapterand will put out the word that you're attempting this albeit the local (Knowlton) Alfa pool is pretty shallow !

Murray
Hey Murray!

Yeah man... I'm baaaaaaack! (as they say in the movies)

Runs down your way from town can be lots of fun. You could even be the Eastern Townships director! My Mom hailed from East Clifton (near Sawyerville) and my 1st wife was from Granby. I also spent much of my youth in the Townships, so I consider myself at least partially a "Townshipper".

Thanks for your support.

·
Registered
141 Posts
New Alfa S4 92 owner from Beaconsfield

I would certainly Join but I havent a volunteer bone in my body, especially on netwroking on parts and mechanics. So judging by the tread you have at least 2 Westies (West Islanders)

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Alfisti,

On Tuesday, 31 July, thanks to the help of folks like Yves Boulanger, Roger DiCola, Club Fiat Montreal and others, a small group of Alfas and their owners met at the Orange Julep during the weekly 'Euro-Tuesday' and, between the Alfas and the Fiats we showed those VW folks that Euro is more than just German! Thank you to all who came out.

I arrived with a minivan full of Alfisti. With me was the President of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club USA (AROC USA) - Dave Hammond, his wife Andrea and their friends; David and Suzy Smalls. Suzy has just been appointed as the liaison between AROC USA and Alfa Romeo, to help prepare the club for Alfas return to North America next year. While jthere, we discussed the idea of forming a Montreal (and area) Alfa Romeo club. There are several very good auto clubs to which Alfa owners belong in the region, but their focus is not related exclusively to Alfa Romeo. Clubs like the VEA, Club Fiat Montreal and others offer some great activities and benefits for their members, and I encourage everyone who is a member of these clubs to continue enjoying the club of your choice. What I believe we can do will be to add an 'Alfa Romeo' club which will be 'marque specific, fun for all
Alfa owners and fans, and a club which will cater to the Alfa Romeo specific needs of all local Alfisti. Most other communities across North America have local Alfa Romeo clubs... why not Montreal? We certainly do have plenty of Alfas!

For those of you who do not know me, I am Alex Sandor Csank (pronounced Alex 'Shondor Chank' - most folks just call me Alex). I am a native of Montreal, but left here back in 1981 to travel around the world and build a career. Having done that, I came home in late 2010 because this is still the best place to live. I have been involved with Alfas and Alfa clubs for a long time, and have written articles for magazines, driven around a few racetracks, created and run many Alfa events and have been a member, officer and/or director of the Mid-Atlantic, Washington DC, St. Louis and New England chapters of AROC USA and am a member of the Alfa Romeo Club of Canada (ARCC) as well. I also was the Chair for the 2010 Alfa Romeo Owners Club convention in Frederick, MD, celebrating the 100th anniversary of Alfa Romeo (Alfa Century 2010), which some of you attended. I was elected as a national board member of AROC USA in 2010 by the membership and was voted in again this year. I served for two years helping to manage the 3600+ member USA club, but decided to resign from the AROC USA board last month, and can now put my energies into organizing a Montreal Alfa club. I also created and manage both the AROC USA and the ARCC Facebook pages, which you should definitely check out, if you can. I can easily put together a Montreal Alfa Club Facebook page and also a website.

If there is enough interest, I am willing to help create a local Alfa Romeo club which I hope will be a complimentary club to the other Montreal-area clubs. How we do that is entirely up to you. Most Alfa clubs host social events like meeting for dinners monthly at a restaurant, wine-tastings at a local vineyard and semi-annual club parties. Other popular club activities include half-day driving tours, gimmick rallies and treasure hunts, show and shine events (Concorso), tech sessions (eg: how to bleed the brakes on a Spider), autocross (Solo Slalom competitions) and track events (high-performance driving schools). Sometimes, dinner meetings can include a special guest who gives a short talk about a topic of interest to Alfa Owners (how to select the best tires, oil, insurance, paint, etc.).

Personally, I believe that a family-friendly focus for most club activities is best. That way, we can all enjoy our weekends and
evenings with our Alfas and still have fun with our friends and families. Clubs which focus only on hardcore Alfa activities tend to
fail without family support and encouragement.

So, in that spirit, I propose that we begin with a Saturday morning driving tour (other vehicles are welcome, but driving an Alfa is encouraged). For our first tour, I have put together what should be a fun morning drive, coupled with a nice place for a little stop over and break, and we will begin and end the tour near the highway so it will be easy to navigate yourself back to your homes.

If there is sufficient interest, the tour will be held on Saturday, 18 August (weather permitting - only cancelled if there is pouring rain), or a later date in early September if that date will not work for enough of you, so please let me know if you can make it for the 18th of August. Here are the details:

0845 - Driver's meeting at 'Cora' (a breakfast restaurant) on the corner of Boul. St. Charles and Boul. Hymus in Kirkland. If you would like breakfast please come early.
0900 - Depart Cora parking lot.
1100 - Arrive at Finnegan's Flea Market in Hudson for a one hour shopping break.
1200 - Depart Finnegan's Market.
1300 - Arrive at Smoked Meat Pete's on L'Isle Perrot for lunch and a short meeting.
1400 - End of first event.

I hope that most of you can make it. I look forward to seeing you there! Please forward this email to any other Alfa owners (or Alfa Romeo fans!).

If you have any ideas, comments or suggestions, please feel free to email me at [email protected] or call me at 514-771-9513 .

Ciao and thanks,
Alex Sandor

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Folks, please send me your email addresses and I will add you to the mailing list. We just held our first event and it was a success! Read about it in its own thread in this section.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts