Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a source for high quality Montreal head studs. My usual sources don't seem to list them... or are they the same as late 1300 studs?
Thanks in advance
Dale

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Dale, I wish that I could be helpful. Does this mean that you have your engine out and are rebuilding it? I looked at 105Revive.com website but did not see any head studs listed. They do part out a few Montreal's so may be worth an email. How bad are your studs? Perhaps they could be welded and machined, if pitting is localized to one or two areas.

How long are the Montreal head studs? I searched Montreal head studs and all four of these studs came up:

750/084 230mm for 1300 750/101
EN129 238mm for 1300 (late 101/105)
EN130 246mm for 1600 (105)
EN131 ??? for 1750/2000 (105/115, I think)

Mark

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Mark,
Yes the engine is out and apart. Last year I replaced the seals in hope that it would stop the oil smoke on start up issue but it was of little help. Everything inside looks great except that some of the guides were pretty worn. Crank, camshafts, pistons and liners all look really good with little wear. A little honing and new rings etc will work. Several of the head studs were damaged in disassembly. They are M12's like late 101's and 105's but only 190mm long with 22mm threads on each end. All the 101 and 105 studs I've ever seen are longer than that, So I'm on a search for new quality ones that will fit the Montreal.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi Dale.

I used ARP ones in my engine, but can't remember if they were custom made or modified off the shelf ones as my engine builder did the removal and install as part of the machining work. He did have a lot of trouble removing the old studs... Partly because he was apprehensive in using brute force in case it snapped or tore a chunk out of the block.

I'll make contact with him and see if he any anything on file about the studs for you.

Regards
Phil.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
They are M12's like late 101's and 105's but only 190mm long with 22mm threads on each end. All the 101 and 105 studs I've ever seen are longer than that, So I'm on a search for new quality ones that will fit the Montreal.
If you can't find head studs readily available, I suppose you could buy the longer studs, cut them to length and thread the cut ends.

"Several of the head studs were damaged in disassembly"...how; I would like to avoid this step if possible. Were you removing the studs when they were damaged? In my recently rebuilt 1966 Duetto engine the studs still looked very good, with little corrosion.

Mark

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I replied to a different thread on this subject. Rolled threads are superior!

Hi Dale, I would contact Alfaholics, they sell rolled threaded studs for the 4 cylinder cars, maybe they can special order a shorter set for the Montreal. Another option would be to contact a thread rolling company here in the States and ask if they can provide something comparable, I would think they would know what material to use. Good luck, Pete.
BTW, you want rolled threads only, not cut threads. Classicalfa cuts their studs.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Phil,
Alfaholics has lots of nice head threads but not for a Montreal. Agree that I want rolled threads. Maybe have found a source. They are checking with supplier on rolled or cut.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Great news Dale.

I won't get down to the engine builder till next week when I have to drop an engine off. But will get the info for further reference anyway should you/anyone else still need it.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Whatever you do, DO NOT try to reuse old, pitted, studs. And I agree with Peter, only rolled threads. ARP make Studs for Porsche. Almost everyone uses them. They used to be here in Michigan but I believe are somewhere in California. Check them out. ARP

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Karl,
Thanks... If source in Europe doesn't work out will have ARP make a set from one of my undamaged originals.
Dale

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Dale.

I used ARP ones in my engine, but can't remember if they were custom made or modified off the shelf ones as my engine builder did the removal and install as part of the machining work. He did have a lot of trouble removing the old studs... Partly because he was apprehensive in using brute force in case it snapped or tore a chunk out of the block.

I'll make contact with him and see if he any anything on file about the studs for you.

Regards
Phil.
Phil, ARP makes excellent head stud/bolt kits. However all their Alfa parts are custom and spendy.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK we are back to square one. Van Lingen's supplier will only do the job if they make 100 or more pieces.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Just contact ARP! What is the Length of the Montreal Studs? What is the Length of the Threaded Portion at each end and that is the Thread Size and Frequency (1.0, 1.25 or 1.5)???
If you have a Stud out of the engine, please send these simple details. I am sure that a number of Montreal Owners would love to have a Spare Set of Head Studs.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just contact ARP! What is the Length of the Montreal Studs? What is the Length of the Threaded Portion at each end and that is the Thread Size and Frequency (1.0, 1.25 or 1.5)???
If you have a Stud out of the engine, please send these simple details. I am sure that a number of Montreal Owners would love to have a Spare Set of Head Studs.
Have already tried ARP. This is a custom order so they want $1500 to $1800 for a set of studs. That's not going to happen.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Dale, send me a PM next week as a reminder. Let me look into it. I have a full machine shop but always declined work needing rolled threads. But this is different. Pete.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts