Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I am rebuilding the front suspension and am now at the point of replacing the lower A-Arm bushings. When I pulled off the dust caps, I found what looked like old grease. I am not sure this is an area that should be greased because it is a bushing....wondering if a previous owner thought it was to be greased?

Am I right? This area does not get grease?

Thanks, JP

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Dear JP,

when I overhauld this by all of my series 105 I put much is possible grease in it. On my father car (Berlina 1750 first series) they were nipples for grease on it!!.

Kai

·
Push hard and live
9,591 Posts
If nothing else, a good coating of grease might slow down corrosion against the next time someone goes in to change the bushings.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
The current bottom wishbone bushings don't need grease. They are sealed from the factory and (in a way) pre greased. The cap is often called a grease cap, but on a Montreal with the new wishbone bushings it's really a dust cap.

As Don says: it can't hurt to apply grease on the nut and the locking washer to slow down the corrosion. Those bushings will probably stay there for another 30-40 years ...

·
Administrator
12,532 Posts
I think those "bushes" are not rubber like a typical suspension bush.
Pete

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
True. The Italian parts catalogue calls the usual suspension rubber bushings for 'silentbloc', while this particular wishbone bushing is called a 'boccola'. A boccola is a plain bearing with no moving parts.

Interestingly the crankshaft bearings are called 'cuscinetti', not 'boccola', but that's another discussion ... :)

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback all! May put a light coat of grease on the nuts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts