Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently there is a Montreal for sale on Ebay, if anyone is bidding on this car I am 99% sure this is a scam. This was my car in the early 2000's and all of the photos being used for the ad are all my old photos from my original listing years ago. I did see my ex Montreal during the Chicago convention, it was repainted orange and an original feature on the car was modified. I would stay away from this car.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
If the listing is still current on eBay it would be a good idea to report the item as a scam to eBay so they can pull it down.

No reserve on a nice looking Montreal and a really low starting bid that sounds "too good to be true" -usually is.

Mark

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mark, about 5 months ago I called Ebay on an '87 Quad that I owned for 2 years when it popped up for sale. I just couldn't get through to them that I owned the car that was listed, so I took matters into my own hand by hitting the buy it now button on the listing. I even had conversations with the "claimed" owner, I told him I lived in the next town over and would pay cash when I picked up the car. A few days later when I wanted to pick the car up he told me it was sold and hung up on me. I wouldn't want someone to screwed so I'll try again. Peter.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Peter, I think eBay has a "report this item link" that would work better than calling them on the phone. I've spoken with 'eBasia' myself: call this number within 15 minutes, enter this code and wait for a person that does not understand much of what you say, so they can frustrate you to no end. I have used their 'phone in service' a couple of times in the past.... It would be nice if FeeBay took it personal and tracked the scam artists down but apparently they don't see the value in keeping their site safe and honest.
Mark

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I reported it to Ebay this morning 6am, as of now, 10:05am, the auction is still up and running.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Peter, Is your old Montreal the Orange one with the red gearshift boot and red ash tray lid cover with "MONTREAL"? If so the auction is still up at 2:30 pm.

Mark

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These scam artists have balls, but he will come up with every reason why you can't see the car. You can try if you want.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I just sent this message to him............

I wish to do an inspection on the car. I have a private pilot's license and can land at Barnstable or Chatham anytime tomorrow during daylight hours. I just need an address to find the car. You name the time. I have cash. I have another car I am considering and tomorrow is the only day I can do it.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still on and up to 39,000. Someone is gonna loose some money. I don't know what else I can do. I tried calling but with an expected 2 hour wait time to talk to a representative. Ridiculous!

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
FWIW, I took a bashing for warning a scam on BaT afew months ago on a silver GTV in VA. They lambasted me unmercifully. The car was listed on E-bay for $25000 Buy-it-now....Never sold and no one owned up to ever owning it. It was a similar situation with photos shopped and nefarious inspection criteria.

There is a sucker born every day......PT Barnum.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I responded on Bring a Trailer that the Ebay listing was a scam and explaining why, the moderators did not accept the submission. I just can't believe this! People would rather believe scammers than the truth. I wash my hands and will not respond again on this subject again!

·
Push hard and live
9,614 Posts
On the other hand, what does it tell us when an EBay Montreal gets to 40k+ even with market skepticism?

I look forward to hearing what actually happens in the next day or three. Hope the winning bidder shares the story.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
" eBay" Can you hear me now?

I filled out the 'report this item' form on eBay to report the scam artist as well. It was difficult to do and designed more to prevent reporting than accept the information. Apparently no one checks those emails at eBay...so sad.

Mark

·
Registered
159 Posts
I posted a link to this thread on the BaT comment section. Classicalfas is a stand up guy and if he says that the eBay listing is a scam, then it's a scam. Too bad that BaT didn't accept his comment submission. Perhaps they'll delete my link to this thread when they eventually get around to it.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I sent the following email directly to eBay Motors Security Center ([email protected]):

Dear eBay,

Several friends and I have tried to report this ‘SCAM’ car listing that is currently on eBay. Item # 151415692846

The car used to belong to my friend Peter D. in New Jersey. Peter sold the car on ebay several years ago. He has been in contact with the current owner. It has since been repainted by the current owner. The SCAM listing by “buddypigdog” (really?) shows the same photographs that Peter presented when he sold the car (it was then orange). The SCAM artist unbelieveably shows 527 feedback and ebay membership since 2001 but ironically they only have 2 feedback comments!

Would you please pull this SCAM listing from eBay as soon as possible?

If you have questions or need further proof please check this link:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-montreal/353921-montreal-sale-ebay.html

You may contact me by cell phone if necessary (xxx) xxx-xxxx
Best regards,
Mark

1 - 20 of 48 Posts