Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting to see whether anybody in the UK has taken a look at this car for sale in the UK right now.

1972 Alfa Romeo Montreal | eBay
and also at the dealer's website
Justin Banks - HOME

it recently had its price reduced to GPB24,995 (just under $40,000) - they discovered rust described as "chassis...is quite rusty and in need of much remedial work for its MOT."
[The "MOT" is the annual inspection for anyone confused by the UK terminology)

The dealer sent me a little info, but not much - "large amount of welding required to chassis, many different areas, we do not have a workshop".

So it sounds like neither the guy who inspected it, nor the seller know enough about these cars to evaluate how bad it is - hence my question of whether anybody who DOES know these cars has seen it.

I know, we should always buy the best, but sometimes an interesting project comes along.

Thanks for any info.

-Richard

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Hi Richard,
I know, we should always buy the best, but sometimes an interesting project comes along. Just an opinion but if you can live with a metallic green Montreal, I am almost certain you would come out many thousand dollars ahead with the green car currently listed on eBay. Make your life easy and buy a no stories example, enjoy it for several years and when/ if you sell, you will most likely be rewarded for good decision making.
Mark

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mark,

I agree, the green car just looks great and might well be a better proposition. I'm just noodling on the fact that the chassis is not the most exotic part of these cars, therefore I was interested in more info.

But it doesn't look like anyone's actually looked at it yet. And when they do they might well buy it! Always a long shot.

Thanks again,

-Richard

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The seller don't seems to be the most knowledge when Montreals are concerned. I was puzzled when I read that it's claimed to have a 2,5 Litre V8.
Likewise when advertising it and asking £ 40k and then at a later time checking the chassis and finding it needs what seems to be a lot of welding and thus reducing the price £15k.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
seems to be a lot of welding and thus reducing the price £15k.
Yes, it was a pretty drastic reduction - yet the bits of the car that are visible in the pictures look okay.

some interesting story with this car, maybe.

-Richard

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Not that it matters much that the seller didn't check what he is selling before advertising, it's up to a potential buyer to do his home work and check what he is buying.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts