Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Push hard and live
11,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got what appears to be an OEM style exhaust system. That's ok, but the two rear resonators (aft of rear axle) don't fit all that well. The rear hangar attachments don't look quite right, among other things.

Do the attach brackets both go on the same side of the rubber hanger strap, or one on each side? Mine are currently one on each side, and this seems to place the tailpipes wider than they should be, and the left is lower than the right.

A picture of a "known correct" rear hanger area would be helpful.

Also...

Anyone know of a source for rear resonators that look and sound better, but fit the stock forward system?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
...two rear resonators (aft of rear axle) don't fit all that well. The rear hangar attachments don't look quite right, among other things.

A picture of a "known correct" rear hanger area would be helpful.
I have wrestled with the same issue...and finally realized that the exhaust tip sections were made slightly different, resulting in one pipe extending about 5 mm further than the other. If you look close, in the following photo, where the hanger bracket is welded on each piece you can see the difference.

Auto part Automotive exhaust Exhaust system Vehicle Exhaust manifold

Alfaholics has a nice looking stainless exhaust system:
Stainless Steel Sports Exhausts

Mark

·
Push hard and live
11,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark,

You may have a similar problem to me.

The right rear resonator on my car has what appears to be a very original mounting bracket welded around and under the outlet. The left resonator has a bent bracket welded to the top of the body much like yours. Whether this is due to a repair or the use of different suppliers is unknown, but it results in one being lower and both being slightly pushed out from the exits indentions in the underbody.

I've sent a query to Alfaholics already. I'm resigned to going that way if they still offer it. We've got the engine bay completely done, and have the car up on a rack to do the underbody, including major cleaning, coating, etc. So.... The exhaust is coming off and I can't bring myself to put back things that are all wonky. I'll probably have very low-time OEM pieces for sale shortly, if someone needs them.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Don, I removed the previously posted photograph; realized it was taken while I was trying to straighten out the exhaust tips. A new photograph was taken today but the computer is slow to upload the new photo for some reason. Basically the exhaust bracket for each side is attached by itself to the rubber mount; one per side. It looks like the exhaust should be raised but it is not willing to go up any higher, which concerns me now that the car has been lowered.

Looking forward to seeing the newly painted engine compartment and rebuilt engine!

Mark

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I suspect the Italians are about where Eli Whitney left off with interchangeable parts back in 1825, in some cases...still you gotta love them. New photo added to post above and here, why not. The exhaust looks like a complete NOS system, one muffler partially has a gray paint coating over the aluminized coating that the rest of the system has. The brackets were probably welded by different welders to slightly different locations, which makes it difficult to align them.

Auto part Automotive exhaust Exhaust system Vehicle Exhaust manifold

Mark

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Kai, it looks like you went with a stainless steel aftermarket exhaust system and it looks very nice! Who made the system you are using?

Don, photos would be nice. Will you use dry ice blasting or steam cleaning on the underside?

Mark

·
Push hard and live
11,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Current plan is pressure washing, and hand cleaning with a pre-paint solvent. It's not all that bad. We're mainly prepping for a thin spray of some sort of undercoating.

Alfaholics system ordered today. Another example of my poor impulse control. Somebody's going to get a pretty complete car if/when it moves on.

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Don,

I just put on my exhaust setup that I bought from OKP. Same issue with fit. Mine has driver side slightly higher than passenger side. Away from car now, otherwise would post a pic, sorry.

·
Push hard and live
11,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update - change of plans.

Alas, Alfaholics, in their continued exploration into customer service concepts, has stopped taking both Amex and Paypal. Apparently their accountants didn't like dealing with Amex inquiries, and the fees on the latter were deemed too high. So, as I don't use Mastercard or Visa, and don't wish to pay $100 or more for a bank wire transfer, I'll be going another road on the exhaust kit.

That's OK, as it has sent me back to consider the approach that Larry Whalen and a fellow from Michigan told me about, in which the two pipes are mated in the middle. They both claim much improve mid-range torque, and I know that Larry's car sounds wonderful. I've got a picture of his approach to show a local exhaust shop. The merge in the middle would probably require dropping the exhaust to do any driveline work, but as I've got a freshly overhauled driveshaft in there now, that's a small concern.

Then, I'll just tweak my existing rear pieces to fit, or possibly pick up the Ansa kit from OKP, or wherever it is available? Pricey little pieces, but the straight pipes are more appealing than the downturned. Yeah, I've heard about exhaust into the ****pit, but question just how much and how annoying. Comments, anyone?

Reactions: Perpettersen

·
Registered
145 Posts
A little problem at mine it was that the manifold not realy good fit on. And I have to cut of some cm´s from the right manifold that the end mufflers look strait.
Also it is not realy a space for the gearbox. Between the manifold´s. It was a half day work to do the job.

Kai

Attachments

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Kai, that sounds and looks like a very big job! The results are for sure worthwhile. In the last photo the exhaust is not visiable so it must be up nice and tight to the car bottom.

Don, on page 69 of The Dream that Came True there is a photograph or the Larini Systems exhaust submitted by Neil Macauley and it looks similar to the factory system but in a high grade of stainless steel. The Alfaholics system is photographed right next to the Larini exhaust and they both look nice. You know my experience with the Ansa systems...

Mark

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I have the Stebro system. When ordered mine (2004) they didn't have the 4 turned up tips. So I sent them my Ansa's tail pipes for them to use and make jigs, which they did. Gave me a great reduced price and returned my Ansa's. The system looks and sounds fantastic with the 4 turned up pipes. If the windows are just cracked or mid way down I get exhaust fumes. So I drive usually up or down. Stebro has gone away due to some nefarious ways but I recently heard someone has revitalized the company, and are making exhausts, though I can't confirm that and couldn't find anything through Google.

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
I just ordered OKP Center and rear sections. Total was about $1000 including shipping and exchange. Other than the slight issue I mentioned above, the set is good quality. I had about another $60 in mounting bolts/hardware because the originals were not with the car when I bought it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts