Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my Montreal this year and prior owner did not provide keys for door handles.

The existing handles were a bit rusty and crusty so I opted to order "Montreal Door Handles" from Classic Alfa.

Problem is the new handles (top image) do not match the originally (bottom image) exactly in terms of its structure - including bolt configuration, or ability to fit into inner retention bracket (greenish metal part in bottom image). Not to mention the chrome piece is a single component in the original and new handles the chrome is not continuous with locking section separate from pull section.

Now I am puzzled what to do. I don't really want to go redrilling the original retention bracket if I don't have to.

Does no one manufacture "true" / "exact fit" replacement Monti handles any longer?

Please advise as this project is officially stalled.

Grazie Millie,

Jamison

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
9,879 Posts
I doubt there are any more original Montreal handles left. However, I think the later Montreals may have gotten ones the same as the Alfetta.

If you read the online Montreal website you’ll find a discussion of how to modify things so they fit and work well. It’s a widely performed repair-mod.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just realized that the small metal nipple that extends out of rotating locking armiture and connects to the a small metal rod inside door is broken off. So even if I wanted to use the old handles by having a locksmith rekey, I'd still be faced with this problem of not locking passenger side door. Ugghh.

Therefore, I'm resolved to using the new handles. But new issue...

Now the issue is that the original retainer brackets can't be used. Classic Alfa did not supply with new handleset, nor do they seem to supply, the revised brackets designated as 116.10.55.638.00 and 116.10.55.639.00. Wow this is a challenge.

Any idea where to source these brackets ?

Any guidance is welcomed.

Jamison

·
Registered
216 Posts
G'day Jamieon

According to Bruce's book, some items ran out during the final production runs and other than original items were substituted. I imagine that's what happened with the door handles. I believe they used the Alfetta ones which have the same external profile. So if you could find a car breaker who was wrecking an Alfetta, you may find what you're looking for.

If it were me (and it will be soon) I would go to my local sheetmetal shop (ductwork manufacturer) and have him make up a new retention bracket from suitable gauge gal, then have it powdercoated.

Let me know how you go because I'll be going through the same thing soon (I hope) and your advice will be invaluable.

Cheers
Rob

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Doesn't the Alfa Romeo Montreal website offer the solution that you as seeking?

I too have not done the retrofit yet for my car but was going to rely on the information provided there.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Other than the 'fit', how is the quality of the new 'replacement' door handles? I've seen Classic Alfa and MrFiat offering sets of new door handles for about $270 -while european vendors on eBay are asking about twice that much (for what appears to be the same thing).

I suspect you'll need to do the Montreal mod. to make the Alfetta handles work, as 1750GT pointed out above:
Door handle modification.gif

·
Push hard and live
9,879 Posts
I did the change on my Montreal. As I bought a set of OE Alfetta handles from Giorgio, they came with matching retention plates.

I’d call APE and get a set of Alfetta plates.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Problem is the new handles (top image) do not match the original (bottom image) exactly in terms of its structure - including bolt configuration, or ability to fit into inner retention bracket (greenish metal part in bottom image).
Jamison, I just realized that your original (early style) door handle (shown bottom image in photo) is the same as my drivers side door handle. The chrome lever angles in, toward the door, about 10 degrees. Would you or anyone know if there is an adjustment that would orient the lever in the correct position, parallel with the door? My passenger door handle is 'flush' with the door panel.

Mark

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did the change on my Montreal. As I bought a set of OE Alfetta handles from Giorgio, they came with matching retention plates.

I’d call APE and get a set of Alfetta plates.
Hello and Thank you
What is meant by APE ?
Also please provide process for cutting the “lock” tab identified in the image? This is what is keeping me from moving forward
Thank you

Jamison

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jamison, I just realized that your original (early style) door handle (shown bottom image in photo) is the same as my drivers side door handle. The chrome lever angles in, toward the door, about 10 degrees. Would you or anyone know if there is an adjustment that would orient the lever in the correct position, parallel with the door? My passenger door handle is 'flush' with the door panel.

Mark
One of my door handles is flush. The other is not flush due to an integrated plastic stopper platen being missing/broken off. . Suspect you could JB Weld a 1/8 inch thin stopper piece of metal or plastic on underside of metal pusher. This would serve same purpose

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
What is meant by APE ?
Also please provide process for cutting the “lock” tab identified in the image?
A.P.E. stands for Alfa Parts Exchange (Larry and Larry Jr.)

I have not tried to cut a "lock tab" -maybe try a grinder or a very fine hack saw.

Mark

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you.

This is precisely why sourcing the pro
A.P.E. stands for Alfa Parts Exchange (Larry and Larry Jr.)

I have not tried to cut a "lock tab" -mayb try a grinder or a very fine hack saw.

Mark
Thank you.
Sourcing a single-piece handleset is vastly preferred over modification of newer handles - both cutting of handles themselves , but also a locking component inside the door. Not a very attractive option . But if I can’t source proper handles.....
Actually I really only need a passenger side handle - single piece Chrome,early style
Thanks to all

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for spotting this on EBay site.
After studying the handles for sale and the originals on my car, I do see diffeeences I’d concern. First, the profile / shape of the plastic surround casing is different - more triangular ends vs what I have. Second the lock button mechanics are of slightly different construction.

I can’t say for sure if this single-chrome piece handle would work for Montreal , but too expensive an experiment for me.
The quest continues...

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
The 'door handle mounts' state in the description:
"We are offering a pair (2 pieces) of Doorhandle Mounts fitting in the interior of the car models mentioned above." These are made of Polyamid so I think they must be a more recent reproduction.

You might try John in this thread. He is in Holland and has a lot of Montreal parts. I noticed a while back, some early Montreal door handles.

Mark

1 - 15 of 15 Posts